Brand new Leica MP w/ light meter issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My brand new Leica MP (aug 2022 production) seems to have light metering issues.

when shutter is cocked/ advanced, the light meter comes on as normal, however after pressing the shutter button and firing the shot, the light meter remains on (uncocked) for a good 15 second and can be reactivated while the shutter is uncocked by half pressing shutter button.

I don’t think this is normal as I read the manual it it states light meter can only be activated when shutter speed is on any speed other than bulb/off and when the shutter is cocked..

I cycled through all the shutter speeds and it seems like only 1/1000th and 1/125th speed are affected and the lightmeter will remain on after firing the shutter. I don’t know how this MP passed its “inspection”. 😂

I specifically avoided the September-December batch of MP’s due to film scratching and now I get this light meter issue.

Edited by 69xchange

20 hours ago, 69xchange said:

I cycled through all the shutter speeds and it seems like only 1/1000th and 1/125th speed are affected and the lightmeter will remain on after firing the shutter. I don’t know how this MP passed its “inspection”. 😂

I specifically avoided the September-December batch of MP’s due to film scratching and now I get this light meter issue.

Apparently they don't check for this either...

51 minutes ago, plaidshirts said:

Apparently they don't check for this either...

This is so frustrating.. for a $5000 USD camera, they sure are cutting a lot of corners and just blindly signing the "inspection" card. I think we really need to voice our concerns over to Leica because they cant just keep getting away with this non-existence quality products.

Like seriously, I get these are hand built, but maybe at least have a check list in order for stages of inspection like checking light meter, checking film scratching???!??? We also really need to shame these so called "experienced professionals" and perhaps Leica brand itself. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, lmans said:

Get a MA…. And a pocket meter if you rely upon it🤫…. Problems solved. 

I already have an M-A and the first M-A I bought had erratic slow speed issue that needed to be exchanged. The reason why I bought the MP is for the convenience of metering the scene and having my shutter speed or aperture right for the story/mood i am going for.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mooshoepork said:

/don’t buy a new Leica because their QC is non-existent 

Problem solved 

I sold my used M6 TTL w/ light meter issue only to buy a brand new MP to avoid light meter issues… Seems like I’m right back to square one. I am praying that my replacement next week will have zero issues 🤞

Edited by 69xchange
  • Like 2

I admit I was one of the skeptics re the "alleged problems" with new Leica film cameras but I have changed my view based on the posts here. I wouldn't buy a new Leica film camera under any circumstances and would not recommend to anybody that they do so.  If someone wants a film Leica, I would now suggest they buy whatever model they like that was made PRIOR to 2000 preferably with a CLA in the not-too-distant past.  I suggest 2000 because it was well before the M8 release ('06), and hopefully well before any cultural/expertise shift to digital.  IOW, back in the days where they really did know how to make a (film) camera.

Edited by Mikep996
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

I admit I was one of the skeptics re the "alleged problems" with new Leica film cameras but I have changed my view based on the posts here. I wouldn't buy a new Leica film camera under any circumstances and would not recommend to anybody that they do so.  If someone wants a film Leica, I would now suggest they buy whatever model they like that was made PRIOR to 2000 preferably with a CLA in the not-too-distant past.  I suggest 2000 because it was well before the M8 release ('06), and hopefully well before any cultural/expertise shift to digital.  IOW, back in the days where they really did know how to make a (film) camera.

Buying well used gear is sound advice - I get all my gear, digital and analogue, this way. Not only are the lemons culled and the kinks sorted out, prices are much more pocket friendly.

The MP I bought was lightly used but still with a year's warranty left should anything go wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikep996 said:

If someone wants a film Leica, I would now suggest they buy whatever model they like that was made PRIOR to 2000 preferably with a CLA in the not-too-distant past.  I suggest 2000 because it was well before the M8 release ('06), and hopefully well before any cultural/expertise shift to digital.  IOW, back in the days where they really did know how to make a (film) camera.

I think that may be a bit extreme.  I bought my M-A in 2017 and it has never given me any trouble.  And given the long "I love my M-A/MP" threads and the relatively few "My M-A/MP sucks" threads, the problems do seem to be fairly rare.  Of course problems do arise and, unfortunately, we've seen a spate of them on the forum in recent weeks.  The issues aren't only with film cameras (see the M11 threads, the steel rim threads, etc.) so I don't think this has anything to do with the fact that Leica's focus has switched to digital products.   Leica seems to have a more general problem with its QC that needs to be sorted out.

• Like 8