How can you appreciate 100MP without cropping?

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I'm not convinced that you used the same aperture.

I don't know how I can show you the EFIX data. I actually used F2.2 on the 35mm and and f2.8 on the 180mm, but that only reinforces what I am saying. I just looked it up in LR (not for the Contax obviously)

I really think that some of you guys, who actually know a lot more about optics and digital sensors than me, (and this is not false modesty),  are so caught up in the "perspective only depends on where you are standing and is independent of focal length" mantra (which is a true mantra), that you fail to see that the different focal length changes things in the image that have nothing to do with perspective, and probably have something to do with that "widely misunderstood" concept of depth of field.  

I am happy to be disproved but I am not hearing any convincing argument.

Think about it this way: if depth of field varied on focal length then all that we would need to do would be to build wideangle short focal length lenses with great coverage and crop them for vast depth of field. Hasn't happened because unfortunately it doesn't work like that. 

54 minutes ago, pgk said:

Think about it this way: if depth of field varied on focal length then all that we would need to do would be to build wideangle short focal length lenses with great coverage and crop them for vast depth of field. Hasn't happened because unfortunately it doesn't work like that. 

Thanks for your reply. I think that probably the reason this has not been done is that the film and digital sensors have not been good enough to make this magnitude of cropping feasible from IQ perspective.   Also not everyone wants depth of field.

Look at these two files, the first taken with my SL24-90mm at 24mm f4, focus point on top white flower cropped to 90mm.

Second file zoomed in to 90mm, no other changes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Another example, exactly the same, all f4, first 24mm cropped, second 90mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, dem331 said:

A very good question that is not that easy to answer.  I would say no, unless you crop the FF image and use the same focal length and aperture for both images, and even then it will depend on the properties (pixel densities or whatever, which I don’t fully understand) of the sensors. 

One thing that surprises me is that people that are very keen on shooting at f0.95 or f1.0 are also keen to use extreme crops to explain the need for a 100mp sensor. 

Why cropping? Because the much too narrow DOF? So, say, cropping 50mm f1 to mimic 100mm f2 or f1.4? 
If so, the motivation is the lack of 100mm f2 or f1.4?  
Anyway, we all agree the value of 100mp is for cropping, nothing else yet.

2 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Why cropping? Because the much too narrow DOF? So, say, cropping 50mm f1 to mimic 100mm f2 or f1.4? 
If so, the motivation is the lack of 100mm f2 or f1.4?  
Anyway, we all agree the value of 100mp is for cropping, nothing else yet.

For me 100mp has no value. I can accept it may have to others. 

• Like 1

vor 21 Stunden schrieb pgk:

Depth of field will be the same at the same aperture for a long focal length lens or an equivalent crop from a shorter focal length lens.

No, it won't be the same. Instead, the cropped image with shorter focal length will show more depth-of-field ... see examples posted by Enrique dem331 above.

vor 21 Stunden schrieb pgk:

Depth of field is a rather widely misunderstood concept.

You don't say ...

• Like 2

Slightly clearer - than my last effort - demonstration showing how Depth of Field can change quite dramatically with f/length depending on various factors.

Three similar crops from three different f/l lenses all set to f2. One was a 90mm; one was a 50mm; one was a 28mm. Camera was M Monochrom and was tripod-mounted. Focus was the TINY small white spot of lichen on the middle of the roof-tile just south of centre.

Just to make things a bit more interesting I won't say which snap was taken with which lens......:)......

Philip.

• Like 3

vor 7 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

These grab shots tell us very little. 

Well, they look pretty conclusive to me, provided the same aperture was in fact used.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb pgk:

Think about it this way: if depth of field varied on focal length then all that we would need to do would be to build wideangle short focal length lenses with great coverage and crop them for vast depth of field.

Paul, I value your opinion very much, but I am not sure if things are getting mixed up here. What I know is that perspective does not change when comparing e.g. a 35mm shot to a 90mm shot taken from the same position. That is, you can 'find' the 90mm shot in the 35mm shot by just cropping the 35mm shot to what the 90mm shows. However, I have so far not heard that depth of field remains the same when comparing the 35mm shot to the 90mm shot. To the contrary, I am pretty sure that depth of field - when comparing shots taken with the same aperture value  - will change, as shown in the above sample shots.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wizard said:

Well, they look pretty conclusive to me, provided the same aperture was in fact used.

Paul, I value your opinion very much, but I am not sure if things are getting mixed up here. What I know is that perspective does not change when comparing e.g. a 35mm shot to a 90mm shot taken from the same position. That is, you can 'find' the 90mm shot in the 35mm shot by just cropping the 35mm shot to what the 90mm shows. However, I have so far not heard that depth of field remains the same when comparing the 35mm shot to the 90mm shot. To the contrary, I am pretty sure that depth of field - when comparing shots taken with the same aperture value  - will change, as shown in the above sample shots.

Quite so. The DOF is a different matter  in this context. The “unchanged”  matter  only refers to perspective as I posted way back. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

though the image quality per pixel is only 1/4 of a 24MP FF. 

Why is this?  If this is the case it really does take the fun out of cropping.

Personally I never crop more than 10-20% of an image even on SL2, and having been a slide shooter all my life, I try not to crop at all.

So not attracted by 100mp for cropping. 

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

Quite so. The DOF is a different matter  in this context. The “unchanged”  matter  only refers to perspective as I posted way back. 

A few other things you posted back then have vanished into thin air. Administrator rights? 😉😂😂

5 minutes ago, dem331 said:

Why is this?  If this is the case it really does take the fun out of cropping.

Personally I never crop more than 10-20% of an image even on SL2, and having been a slide shooter all my life, I try not to crop at all.

So not attracted by 100mp for cropping. 

To me, cropping is never the purpose, it is merely a correction, particularly crop for composition, such as crop to square format or fit to 16x9  TV or so.

• Like 1