when is level not level

huwm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found myself correcting the horizon on a lot of my shots recently despite use of the green 'level' gauge bars whilst shooting. As I live on the coast i often have a handy 'known' horizontal level to use and find it to be out by about 2 to 3 degrees at times. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? I have been unable to find any information with regard to potentially recalibrating. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I've never had much luck with "in camera" levels either.  So i usually use the viewfinder lens view markings to try to get as close to level. But they are very rarely perfect.

After some research, because i remembered how picky my camera club mentors were about sloping horizons...

I came to conclusion, horizons off horizontal by as little as 0.3 degrees would upset someone. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I ditched the green level gauge bar and switched on the grid. That thing is a feature all better cameras offer, and Leica felt compelled to implement it. It takes away a short glimpse of time by forcing you to adjust your images to make that bar turn green. The grid, however, doesn't turn green but gives me an intuitive idea of the correct horizon. The camera handling stays intuitive, and the chances are higher that you get that odd shot. Much better. 

I use auto-adjust all the time. 

Since I shoot so much architectural, having the horizontal lights straight is a plus.

For me the green line get you close, but it is not very responsive, same from Leica to canon, Sony and Hasselblad on a gear head tripod .

I have invested in many many bubble levels, most of them even from the same production don't level the same if you put them all on the table. Strange but true.

Are you using a tripod, or handheld, checking whether the camera is horizontal before taking the shot?  If handheld it could be (apologies) 'user error'.  If you are getting it horizontal on a tripod, then I'd ask Leica to have a look, as something may be wrong with the 'artificial horizon'.

A test would be to set up a spirit level perfectly horizontal and one vertical and photograph them from a tripod using both landscape and portrait modes, but just using the green artificial horizon, and also try the same handheld. (Horizontal and vertical lines through the centre of the image to avoid spherical aberration issues.)

Good luck!

(I do wonder why the IBIS does not have a setting for 'Camera on tripod, make the sensor level' , but then I'm only a 'user'.)

Edited by Eclectic Man
Added idea for a test.

18 hours ago, Eclectic Man said:

(I do wonder why the IBIS does not have a setting for 'Camera on tripod, make the sensor level' , but then I'm only a 'user'.)

I don't think the sensor moves enough to level every shot. I think Benro made a new tripod that does level at a push of a button.

20 hours ago, Eclectic Man said:

Pentax has something like that, AFAIK, but it has issues.

If using Adobe software, you can auto-level in post. It requires proper leveling calibration, though.

Edited by SrMi

• 3 weeks later...

When facing dead on to the sea horizon, it looks level and green line confirms it. It is when I have the sea at an angle to the camera that there is a discrepancy between green line and a visibly straight horizon. Then I ignore the green line. 

Hasselblad horizon level is VERY sensitive.