The market effect of the new M6

Huss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There’s been a big aesthetically movement around Y2K so now an impressionable demo is now moving on from film.

Lots of people are now forgoing film cameras (cheaper ones/P&S as well) for old 2000s digital cams to get that look (just like film was a look for them before).

The rising cost of film certainly plays some role as well.

I don’t see any singular event as the reason behind the change in Leica prices, it’s a bunch of factors that sum up to a general macro trend.

On 2/12/2023 at 7:18 PM, Anbaric said:

If the market has fallen, nobody seems to have told the UK dealers. Prices are in the £2200-£3000 range, averaging about £2700, pretty much where they've been for many months, or a bit higher. One outlier on ebay though - either someone got a crazy bargain (an auction finished at under £1200), or there's something more dubious going on.

The same here. Still crazy prices for M6s. If anything, I think people are now convinced that getting i.e. the same M6 (classic) for half the price of a new one is a bargain. I would rather buy a used MP or M7 but 20+ year old M6s are almost as expensive now.

On 2/11/2023 at 6:32 PM, Huss said:

Let’s forget for a moment any issues that a few people have reported…What I have noticed is that since the new 2022 M6 has been released, it has cooled off the market for the old one.  I now see lots of really nice old M6 at the $2500 price point, including the titanium ones.

Still got a LONG way to go before/if they ever, get back down to the $1,000 I paid for a really nice condition, mid-80's vintage M6 back in 2018, but unfortunately sold since.

Super-glad I held onto a sweet-running M4.

Edited by Gregm61

2 hours ago, Gregm61 said:

Still got a LONG way to go before/if they ever, get back down to the $1,000 I paid for a really nice condition, mid-80's vintage M6 back in 2018, but unfortunately sold since.

Super-glad I held onto a sweet-running M4.

I bought my 3xxxx serial # M7 for $1500 at about that time too.