First ever digital M

Vonnie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Personally I would start with a used M10, M10-P or M10-R and at least see if you like the rangefinder/Leica experience. You'll lose a lot less money in resale that way too or upgrading to the next generation when it comes out. Plus you'll have money left over for more lenses, which is where the real action takes place imo. Buy from a reputable dealer for less worry. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vonnie said:

Thank you Storm Chaser, an M11's been sat inside the shopping basket for about 3 weeks, my only concern was the issues some people have encountered. I've never had a problem with any photographic equipment I've bought so I'd be really disappointed if that happened.

Don't 'cha just love all the opinions flying around at breakneck speed?!

If you're had the damn thing sitting in a basket for 3 weeks, lets face, nothing else is going to cut it.

Just make sure it's a reputable dealer who will accept a return or refund within a month as long as you haven't registered the camera. No questions asked.

By the way I have had the M11 since it was introduced last January. before that the M10-P, before that the M246 Monochrom along with the M240 P, before that the M9-long before that the M7 M6 M4 M3 and M2. Once you go Leica you never go back. Looking forward to welcoming you to the club.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

It seems that all of these M10R complaints can be negated by simply using the camera's OVF and adhering to traditional M camera technique.

What is a "BT?"

It is funny how the people that don't have the M11 would suggest the M10-R, because they never used anything newer. People that have the M11 vote for M11.

The M10-R comes only in silver now since black is already discontinued. If you are new and want a new camera the options are coming back to M11.

• Like 2

The M11 is my digital M, or any kind of M. The things that seem questionable to some are all positives to me. The 60MP sensor with lots of dynamic range, the easily accessible battery and SD card compared to having to remove a bottom plate, the USB-C port for both charging and connecting to a computer to download images, and the reduced weight of the black model.

While the M10-R is probably excellent, I would never have bought a Leica without the features of the M11 that attracted me enough to try it out.

• Like 2

M11 ............... at the same, or near price............. no contest. Just a couple of reasons............

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I chose the M10-R for two reasons.  First, I primarily shoot B&W and own an M10 Monochrom for that purpose.  The M10-R was an ideal match. Second, I’m typically not an early adopter with any products featuring new tech, not just cameras or M’s specifically. My first digital M was the reliable M8.2, not the M8. I also own the SL2, but for different needs and a totally different viewing and shooting experience.  Horses, and all that. Only you can determine what suits your needs and tastes. I rent or demo first… and make prints…to figure out mine.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, at the moment my head says buy the m10-R but my heart is with the M11. I love new technology but also crave the nostalgia and imperfections of the older cameras. If I get on with the Leica system I'll probably sell my other cameras, a used Leica m10 monochrome & SL2 are also a consideration for me.  

19 hours ago, Overgaard said:

You go to the store, stand in front of them and let your hands guide you. 

These pictures won't help calm you down. Just can't help myself ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That went well Thorsten...me after a 5 hour drive to the nearest Leica store to let my hands guide me! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Buying new digital camera, if intent is to keep it, is simple.

If you have to choose between two cameras what happens to be released a while ago, get one which was released more recently. 

Because with digital cameras support time is limited 

I got new M-E 220 in 2016, people paid LCAG for refurbished M9 in 2019, only to be told - no repairs in 2020 or so.

Even if you will not like camera after year or so, it is easy to sell latest model.

Thanks Ko.Fe. That's very good advice!

19 hours ago, Photoworks said:

M11 all the way.

M10R slow live view, crappy EVF, carry extra battery, no GPS without visoflex when it works, 1 min to make a connection to smartphone, no BT. 

If you are planing to use a camera, the M11 is better.

The SL2 is a work horse, but there is something about it, I use it for work, but don't like to carry it around, not even with M lenses.

Thanks Photoworks, the balance is swinging in favour of the M11!

19 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

@Vonnie I would choose the M10R.  Why?  I have an M10 Monochrom that has been 100% reliable.  The problems that some M11 users have experienced are IMHO cause for concern.  Reliability is something I want in my M cameras.  Down the road when the M11 has demonstrated a track record of reliability equal to that of the M10M and M10R, I will not be standoffish regarding the M11.  We are not there yet, though.

The M10R has a 40 mp sensor; that is certainly "enough" megapixels for print making.  My 24 mp M-P 240 can produce exhibit quality prints at 24x36 inches.  If you want to make large prints, the M10R will be able to make exhibit quality prints 2x the size of my 240.  48x72 inch prints are usually big enough for most of us these days, given that not many photographers make prints of any size in this digital age.

I am not anti technology; at issue is the fact that the M11's new tech still has some kinks that need to be ironed out.  I prioritize reliability over new tech, which brings me to the M10R at the present time.  Therefore I have adopted a wait and see outlook for the M11.

Danke Herr Barnack! I really appreciate your input,  it underlines all of the reasons I was considering the M10-R but the new technology in the M11 is so tempting...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lct said:

None ;). If you have no experience with RF cameras i would begin by a s/h M10 to make my own experience. Could be that you're happy with the RF mode and LV is not your cup of tea, for instance, then keep the M10 or go for the M10-R. Or you may find that you need a Visoflex and the M10 is too slow in LV mode, then go for the M11.

Thanks lct! I had consider this option also. I grew up in the era of Manual focus SLRs and I have some experience with a rangefinder camera although I'm sure it doesn't compare to a Leica. I think the Leica M11 will give me similar quality images as my gfx 50s2 but in a more travel friendly body. One of the reasons I want to purchase a Leica is for the minimalism and simplicity. I'm not interested in videos & I hate having to hunt through the endless options in the digital menus.   If film wasn't so ridiculously expensive I'd probably buy the M6

16 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Personally I would start with a used M10, M10-P or M10-R and at least see if you like the rangefinder/Leica experience. You'll lose a lot less money in resale that way too or upgrading to the next generation when it comes out. Plus you'll have money left over for more lenses, which is where the real action takes place imo. Buy from a reputable dealer for less worry. 

I had considered buying used but as it'll be my first M camera I'd prefer the security of knowing it comes with a 2 year guarantee, in Europe at least.

13 hours ago, Kwesi said:

Don't 'cha just love all the opinions flying around at breakneck speed?!

If you're had the damn thing sitting in a basket for 3 weeks, lets face, nothing else is going to cut it.

Just make sure it's a reputable dealer who will accept a return or refund within a month as long as you haven't registered the camera. No questions asked.

By the way I have had the M11 since it was introduced last January. before that the M10-P, before that the M246 Monochrom along with the M240 P, before that the M9-long before that the M7 M6 M4 M3 and M2. Once you go Leica you never go back. Looking forward to welcoming you to the club.

Thanks Kwesi....you're absolutely right! Time to click on the buy button! 

8 hours ago, bcaslis said:

The M11 is my digital M, or any kind of M. The things that seem questionable to some are all positives to me. The 60MP sensor with lots of dynamic range, the easily accessible battery and SD card compared to having to remove a bottom plate, the USB-C port for both charging and connecting to a computer to download images, and the reduced weight of the black model.

While the M10-R is probably excellent, I would never have bought a Leica without the features of the M11 that attracted me enough to try it out.

Thanks bcaslis! If the price difference between the 2 was greater it might be worth getting the M10-R but as it stands the M11 has more to offer. 

7 hours ago, gotium said:

I've owned both. In retrospect probably wouldn't upgrade to the M11 if I were using an M10-R, but buying new now I'd get the M11. Mostly because I like the weight and grip of the black version and the battery is a big improvement. 

Thank you gotium. Appreciate your input.

5 hours ago, DenverSteve said:

M11 ............... at the same, or near price............. no contest. Just a couple of reasons............

Thanks DenverSteve. It does have some amazing features!

@DenverSteve Maestro III

@Vonnie I'm like you - now this discussion is causing me to reconsider the M11.  It does have a compelling list of new features, and there are apparently a lot of people who are happy with their M11s.  The complaints about freeze ups seem to have died down since the latest firmware was released. 

If I had stacks of gold bars gathering dust at my house, I'd buy an M10R and an M11 just to have all the bases covered.   😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments, I really appreciate your time and honesty. I've decided to purchase a black M11 with a summilux 50mm to start with. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Can anyone could recommend a the best memory cards for the M11?

Thanks 

14 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

@DenverSteve Maestro III

@Vonnie I'm like you - now this discussion is causing me to reconsider the M11.  It does have a compelling list of new features, and there are apparently a lot of people who are happy with their M11s.  The complaints about freeze ups seem to have died down since the latest firmware was released. 

If I had stacks of gold bars gathering dust at my house, I'd buy an M10R and an M11 just to have all the bases covered.   😎

It certainly swayed me more towards the M11......I'm using the 0% interest option as my gold bars are helping prop up my bed!

• Haha 2