Light Lens Lab 50mm f/2 "Speed Panchro II" for Leica M

hdmesa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, sometimesmaybe said:

if you're interested in glow, have a look at the RF version of the Jupiter 8. they are dirt cheap (both in terms of price and construction - you know communism and what not), but reasonably usable when stopped down 

I had a J8 - new old stock.  And it was a really tiny, light weight thing.   The problem with mine was the very light and clickless aperture ring, which made it a pain to use on a meterless camera, but more being the focus collimation was not designed for Leica cameras, even though they fit the Leica mount.

Once the new toy novelty wore off, I sold it and used lenses that were correctly calibrated and had click stops on the aperture ring.  So the gear got out of my way when taking pics.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2023 at 4:20 AM, Ryoo said:

Panchro replica arrived just one hour ago. Order # was 1220. Shipping speed was very fast, satisfied me.

Wow. This is more than I expected. I am gonna test a roll of film. 

Hmmm. Still waiting on my order #1180...which is still in the "yet to be fulfilled" category  - despite the lenses supposedly being dispatched "in the order received" 🤔

I have both the 50 Elcan and 35 8 element. Both perform very well on the M11. Silver PanII is $800. Image from M6 BWXX film, 35 8 element wide open. As others have said these images are soft. Take into browser for better clarity.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by algrove

1 hour ago, NigelG said:

Hmmm. Still waiting on my order #1180...which is still in the "yet to be fulfilled" category  - despite the lenses supposedly being dispatched "in the order received" 🤔

Now I'm in Korea near from China. I don't know where you are, but presumably you will get the lens in near future.

My lens just arrived a couple of hours before with Fedex. It appeared the shipment was ordered on Friday and the lens was received by Fedex on Saturday - so 5 days from China to my home, including waiting for customs. Had to pay around 220 EUR for customs/VAT.

Going out to take some images with my M240 and LLL SPII replica.

Edited by catacore
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Few pictures uploaded here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23361904@N05/albums/72177720307277845

Will upload as I process these. Processing is basically only adjusting the exposure, then export as jpeg with longer side at 3000px.

Tried to make the pictures' name self-explanatory (aperture size), all pictures focuses hand held and centered, using OVF (with very few exceptions which are noted like "focus-recompose").

Few build/mechanical impressions: quite heavy, quite small, aperture almost clickless (at least f2-f4 - changing aperture is barely noticeable, almost like focusing 😆), focus a bit stiff and not "uniform" (I would not call it smooth anyway - this is one reason I, often, "overshoot" focusing, then I had to "reverse"). Lens barrel has some spots, like it is not "clean".....Overall, I don't like its ergonomics, but bear in mind I'm quite new to MF lenses, nevertheless, all my lenses I have now are much smoother is focusing and with better (feel) aperture rings (Zeiss 25/2.8 Biogon, VC 50/1.5 II, VC 35/1.2 III, Tele-Elmarit 135/4).

• Like 3

So, the lens glows at f/2, then by f/2.8 the glow is gone. Lens seems pretty sharp, even at f/2.8. The glow seems more pronounced (to me) at longer distance (tried to see this on the Lime scooters buy increasing the shooting distance. The glow seems evenly distributed on the image, I don't see more sharpness/contrast centrally than out-of-centre (for instance on "Padlock" pictures there is the same amount of "glow" all over the image). Also, one can even read what written on the padlock, so the sharpness is there, somehow (that should be good for portraits). But on other pictures, the central subject appears quite soft (some pictures of leaves, for instance). I can't fully understand now how this lens renders....might be miss-focus in place in some images....

Have not noticed that severe bleeding as seen on @Almizilero sign. Tried to produce it, but no success.

Sorry I did not have anybody for a portrait picture...

So far, I guess I can call this lens (at least) "interesting". But, somehow, I would like it to maintain its character at least for f/2.8 as well....

At f/5.6-f/11 I think it can be used for landscapes.

If you happen to draw any conclusions based on these pictures, don't keep them for yourselves, please...

If any other sorts of pictures are required, just let me know and I'll try to produce them (given the weather cooperates - which, according to prognosis, it won't)

Edited by catacore
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Huss said:

@catacore that close up pic of the guitar strings was very good at f2 - I think this will be an excellent f2 portrait lens.  The colours looked much better when used on your Leica than on your Sony.

The Sony A7C pictures were taken just to avoid focus and recompose technique with M240, while curious of the rendering/softening towards the image's edges.

I have added one more series of pictures trying to illustrate the whatever "3D pop" effect we might see (I do think it is there).

And one "full size portrait" of a statue shot at f/2 from about 4-5m distance (and illustrating the "composing with a rangefinder" issue - I needed 3 shots, albeit in portrait orientation, to get what I wanted. Shooting in landscape I would have needed at least 6-7 shots).

On 4/5/2023 at 12:25 AM, NigelG said:

I had the order #1172 and I got the lens number 179/998.

Hope you'll get your soon 😉

Order 1121 received yesterday here in Switzerland. I am surprized by the quality  this lens exhales. Did not test it yet. But looks like any other high end lens I own. I am amazed.

Too bad for the lac of from lens cap but I just ordered a regular 43mm sensei lens cap from B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1486137-REG/sensei_lc_43_43mm_center_pinch_snap_on.html hopefully they will send it to me whenever they decide to get back to work...

• Like 2

I just received mine directly from China. When I ordered, I wasn't aware that Popflash was a distributor. Mine came in a FedEX Envelope.🙁 The hood was slightly bent (pushed in on one of the hood supports) and I was able to gently pry it straight with a screwdriver. The lens box had been wrapped in bubble wrap and was in Ok shape showing a little wear from the trip. Lens was in perfect shape within box and lens case. Seems reasonable to have expected a front lens cap...which was not included.

Initial shots, all at f2, on an M11 and M10M indicate its focus is calibrated well including infinity stop.

Image quality is very nice, in focus areas exhibiting good resolution and out of focus areas showing a gentle, not overpowering "glow". Will need to explore more. Examples to come.

• Like 1

Just few more observation regarding my copy of this LLL SPII lens:

- it seems quite sharp even at f2 and out of centre, below a 100% crop from the blossom @ "focus and recompose" - so quite off-centre

by the (this is also supported by the padlock image at f2 where the entire fence appears "uniformly soft", but the sharpness is there, just it appears as "softness" due to low contrast/blooming ?)

- focusing the lens at f2 on my Sony A7C was difficult because the TTL picture is quite soft, so it was difficult to judge if the writting on the sign was in focus (and being red on white didn't help with peaking)

- I have few nights shots with an "illy" sign (white letters on red background) where, at f2 and f2.8 the "illy" writting can't be actually read since is just a white spot (the sign cleans up by f4-f5.6). But as soon as I have reduced the "whites" and "highlights" in Camera Raw the sign "illy" writting became clean and clear, just as on the shots at f4-f5.6.

Edited by catacore
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, SoarFM said:

Image quality is very nice, in focus areas exhibiting good resolution and out of focus areas showing a gentle, not overpowering "glow". Will need to explore more. Examples to come.

M10M  

LLL 50mm/f2 SPII @ f2.0

20 hours ago, SoarFM said:

M11 

LLL 50mm/f2 SPII @ f2.0