Light Lens Lab 50mm f/2 "Speed Panchro II" for Leica M

hdmesa

35 minutes ago, rclompus said:

I spent some time with this lens and wanted to share my review - just published at PetaPixel. It is an interesting lens. 

https://petapixel.com/2023/03/21/light-lens-lab-50mm-f-2-review-the-classic-speed-panchro-ii-reborn/

Be well, 

Richard Clompus 

Finally an image showing the lens alongside other Leica lenses, for size comparison. Judging from the image, I'd say one can still call it small, though at 350g is not lightweight....

1 hour ago, rclompus said:

I spent some time with this lens and wanted to share my review - just published at PetaPixel. It is an interesting lens. 

https://petapixel.com/2023/03/21/light-lens-lab-50mm-f-2-review-the-classic-speed-panchro-ii-reborn/

Be well, 

Richard Clompus 

Very nice review, Mr. Clompus, but with "Yes, it has a 3D effect when used wide open" you lost my interest as DoP, unfortunatelly having failed to describe the "Cooke look" in any way or form. I think a good description would be crucial for such an article - especially as it concerns a revamped Cooke SPII lens. Please take this as constructive criticism.
Here is a neat "Cooke look" breakdown: https://nofilmschool.com/2013/11/cooke-cinema-lenses-what-exactly-is-the-cooke-look

2 minutes ago, Almizilero said:

They started shipping. Ordered mine pretty soon after I got the notification email that preorders have started.

I have ordered within 24hrs after I received their email (my order number is 1172). 

Please let us know if you will get to pay any additional (import) taxes (I see you are from Germany), as I am concerned that, whatever "tax included" was mentioned on their website, we'll still be subject to taxes here, in Europe.

4 hours ago, Almizilero said:

They started shipping. Ordered mine pretty soon after I got the notification email that preorders have started.

4 hours ago, catacore said:

I have ordered within 24hrs after I received their email (my order number is 1172). 

Please let us know if you will get to pay any additional (import) taxes (I see you are from Germany), as I am concerned that, whatever "tax included" was mentioned on their website, we'll still be subject to taxes here, in Europe.

I’m order # 1180 - were you a long way ahead of that @Almizilero??

Am 26.3.2023 um 19:38 schrieb catacore:

I'll find out soon. I asked about that before ordering and they said there won't be any additional fees. At the moment, tracking says it's "pending release by government agency", which is probably customs, so fingers crossed ... With this, I doubt it'll be delivered tomorrow, but as long as that's the only downside and the fees are actually paid by LLL up front, I'll be happy to wait a little longer!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 7:16 PM, Huss said:

Yup, I'm holding out for the black version.  The chrome to me looks like a piece of plumbing pipe.

I cancelled my order for silver and got on the list for the black one, too. I was outside shooting with my silver 50 Cron the other day and was reminded how much I dislike having my retinas burned out by the sun reflecting off the barrel.

• Like 1

Watch out..

As the 1st batch of LLL lenses can be problematic until all the bugs are worked out of them...esp QC.

Also..

I've been told..

These are no where near the same image quality of the originals.

But this is what I've been told from a source I respect.

I'm going to hold off for now..until I know more..

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Almizilero:

I'll find out soon. I asked about that before ordering and they said there won't be any additional fees. At the moment, tracking says it's "pending release by government agency", which is probably customs, so fingers crossed ... With this, I doubt it'll be delivered tomorrow, but as long as that's the only downside and the fees are actually paid by LLL up front, I'll be happy to wait a little longer!

Sooo, live update. The packet got opened during a random customs sample check (just my luck 🥺). From what UPS said, it has a declared value of $15 and customs think that can't be right (surprise surprise 🧐). So now I have to provide prove of payment from my end and since I'm not going to cheat I'll provide the original paypal bill. That means I'm probably looking at 200+ Euros of taxes and customs fees. Plus whatever UPS charges for handling it. 

I'll discuss this with LLL and hope we come to an agreement. They already took down the "Taxes included" under the price on their website, but I got a screenshot of the chat where they told me I wouldn't have to deal with any import fees, so they don't get of the hook that easy :)

1 hour ago, Almizilero said:

Sooo, live update. The packet got opened during a random customs sample check (just my luck 🥺). From what UPS said, it has a declared value of $15 and customs think that can't be right (surprise surprise 🧐). So now I have to provide prove of payment from my end and since I'm not going to cheat I'll provide the original paypal bill. That means I'm probably looking at 200+ Euros of taxes and customs fees. Plus whatever UPS charges for handling it. 

I'll discuss this with LLL and hope we come to an agreement. They already took down the "Taxes included" under the price on their website, but I got a screenshot of the chat where they told me I wouldn't have to deal with any import fees, so they don't get of the hook that easy :)

Well, that's bad news. But sort of expected. I do have an LLL email reply from a guy named David Yu-Heng Chen where he assured me that "taxes are included with the purchase". 

Still no news about my lens being shipped....

L.E. I got recently a package from UK with UPS and I had to provide them with some documents and declaration about the package content. I expect the same with this package coming from China.

Edited by catacore

16 hours ago, tsleica said:

Watch out..

As the 1st batch of LLL lenses can be problematic until all the bugs are worked out of them...esp QC.

Also..

I've been told..

Regading my "bold": you mean Cooke original, or LLL prototype. For me, if the lens will provide the image quality of the prototype, I would be more than happy.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Almizilero:

Next update: Package is on it's way again, with a taxes/customs of 207 Euros to be paid upon delivery.

I asked LLL for a refund, now waiting for a reaction.

Edited by Almizilero

On 3/28/2023 at 1:02 PM, tsleica said:

Watch out..

Also..

I've been told..

LLL are extremely skilled at recreating lenses exactly down to the original glass types. Use the comparisons of the LLL 35 8-element with the original as a reference point – identical, and they didn't need multiple versions to work that out. That said, later versions of the 8-Element were refined over time, the same way other manufacturers iterate coatings or other tweaks they never document.

What LLL does have issues with to this day is delivering 8-Element copies that are perfectly centered and are aligned with the rangefinder at infinity. The Elcan copy I owned was far better in both regards.

It should be noted that examples up to now have been made with a protype and are not the final IQ. Still, the SPII prototype I tested was perfectly centered and the rangefinder alignment at infinity was spot-on. IQ was on par with the 50 Cron v5. Also note that there were/are several versions and copies of the prototypes being circulated – several early black ones and many more production quality silver ones specifically distributed to certain photographers in the Asian markets. Most of the reviews we have seen so far are from the early black prototypes.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 3

LLL has about a 50% defect rate..and thats on lenses the dealer receives that were supposed to be QC-ed at factory.

..these defects include.. minor cosmetic defects..to totally bum lenses.. dealers know this all too well..

Anyone ordering from a dealer that is unwilling to go thru the lens w/fine tooth comb and test on camera  body...may be in for a nasty surprise.

Just the fact that they listed the lens for customs at $15 bux value..should tell you something...lol..

BTW..I own the Elcan as well as the 8E and luv em..

But the 2 separate dealers I bought them from..said the exact same thing..about LLL.

1 dealer quit sellin em out of frustration..and the other..has no mercy for their criticism of LLL's policies and QC control.

I was going to buy the LLL/Cooke Panchro..but the dealer told me..

Dont buy right now..not yet..until the bugs are worked out in a few months.

And that this repro lens... is nothing like the original either..

Edited by tsleica