Light Lens Lab 50mm f/2 "Speed Panchro II" for Leica M

hdmesa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, pgk said:

What do the originals cover? I am hoping a FF 35 might just be possible😉.

Ser. II covers FF at 50mm and above. At least when converted to the M mount.

Ser. I barely covers FF at 50mm (slightly dark corners wide open at infinity, but otherwise usable). 75mm and above is fine.

35mm and 40mm should be OK on APS-C.

However, since LLL are re-interpreting the original Cooke design, I guess nothing prevents them from "extending" it a bit so as to offer a 35mm that covers FF. That would be nice.

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ecar said:

..... LLL are re-interpreting the original Cooke design .....

I actually own an early TTH Cooke lens, serial number 2276 from ~1895 but, of course, not a Speed Panchro. Its been well used!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ecar said:

Which body do you mount it on?

Gandolfi 5" x 4". its not entirely original having had the back section replaced to increase its focal length. multiple small scratches too, but it still works well enough.

• Like 1

Some years ago (probably around 2005), there was a proposal that a batch of Speed Pancro lenses be built in Leica-compatible form, and the question was asked in the UK's Leica Historical Society magazine as to who would be interested in buying such a lens. Presumably there were not a sufficient number of potential purchasers. The Chinese version might be more affordable.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Yes, I'm in 😜

Also, I got an update from LLL that the Elcan has been discontinued.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

What M/LTM Leica made lens would be the closest in render and image properties to this one in your valued opinion?

I did a comparison of the LLL SPII to the LLL Elcan and posted on FM Forums. It's very close in rendering. The main difference is the Elcan is not sharp at f/2 at the focus point if the focus point is too far away from the center.

Honestly, though, all the Leica 50 Summicron versions have a similar charm at f/2. The veiling flare of the SPII, while a known characteristic of the lens, is very strong. I find the 50 Cron v5 flare to be more pleasing as it creates more interesting shapes and does not result in such a dramatic loss of contrast. When I get my copy of the SPII, I'll do a comparison with my 50 Cron v5.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, hdmesa said:

I did a comparison of the LLL SPII to the LLL Elcan and posted on FM Forums. It's very close in rendering. The main difference is the Elcan is not sharp at f/2 at the focus point if the focus point is too far away from the center.

Honestly, though, all the Leica 50 Summicron versions have a similar charm at f/2. When I get my copy of the SPII, I'll do a comparison with my 50 Cron v5.

I read somewhere that the Summar and Summitar render similarly, although the diagrams of both are different - Summar being a 6 element double Gauss (the SPII is a 7-element). In comparing the LLL Cooke clone optical formula I have found most similarities in faster (f/1.4) 50mm lenses from the sixties and seventies. I have added diagrams of LLL SPII and some other double Gauss similar designs.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1