Light Lens Lab 50mm f/2 "Speed Panchro II" for Leica M

hdmesa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tony at Popflash (US distributor for Light Lens Lab) was kind enough to send a Light Lens Lab (LLL) 50mm f/2 "Speed Panchro II" protype my way.

Watch Ted Forbes's video he just posted to learn more about it and the Cooke cinema lens on which it's based:

Light Lens Labs has recently made a small batch of production units of this lens in silver chrome that supersede the prototype I was sent:

https://lightlenslab.myshopify.com/blogs/upcoming-project/light-lens-lab-50mm-f-2-speed-panchro-ii-now-available

I've only had a short evening to take some shots after UPS delivered it today. I'll post more photos in the next few days plus shoot a video clip or two with it.

Shot on the SL2-S

f/2:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Screenshot of 100% crops (click for sharper version):

f/2:

Top right image is 200% crop, the bottom two are 100%:

f/2:

Crop showing 100%:

f/8 landscape:

Crops at 100% (again, these will look soft unless you click on them to view larger):

Shot of the sky as a quick color check:

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 9

I just saw the video, great to immediately find someone else with experience with this lens on the forum. I really like what I see from the lens, but I'll start with a heretic question anyways, since I have little knowledge of lens creation. One of the main benefits that Ted Forbes pointed out and that I can see here in the pictures is that it adds a certain softness and glow while still remaining sharp. This gives the images a silky look. 
But the results from the lens very much reminds me of the results when using a weak black mist filter on "normal" lenses. So what's the difference?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Almizilero said:

I just saw the video, great to immediately find someone else with experience with this lens on the forum. I really like what I see from the lens, but I'll start with a heretic question anyways, since I have little knowledge of lens creation. One of the main benefits that Ted Forbes pointed out and that I can see here in the pictures is that it adds a certain softness and glow while still remaining sharp. This gives the images a silky look. 
But the results from the lens very much reminds me of the results when using a weak black mist filter on "normal" lenses. So what's the difference?

Sometimes BPM and other filters like it can look really nice, but in many lighting scenarios they can look too uniform and less attractive. If you watch a few clips of the movies filmed on the original Cooke lens this is based on, you don't see that "soap opera" sheen across the frame that we all instantly recognize as a soft focus filter.

If you want to read/see more about the sharp+glow, there's a lot of samples of this in the 35 Lux Pre-ASPH thread here.

As for this lens, part of the appeal is simply the nostalgia for using the optics of a famous cinema lens.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

As for this lens, part of the appeal is simply the nostalgia for using the optics of a famous cinema lens.

Well, sort of... The optical formula may be the same, but I doubt LLL are able to use Thorium glass... In any event, these Cooke optics are fantastic and even if this replica can only approach the original it could be an interesting (and likely much more affordable) option.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, Ecar said:

Well, sort of... The optical formula may be the same, but I doubt LLL are able to use Thorium glass... In any event, these Cooke optics are fantastic and even if this replica can only approach the original it could be an interesting (and likely much more affordable) option.

LLL does say that this is a modern remake of the lens. In Ted's video, he says they have redesigned it for full frame 35mm sensors versus the original, which was made for Super 35.

Here's a short clip with the SPII on the SL2-S (HD 120fps to smooth out my handheld movements). The flare may change as LLL says they will update the coatings in the production copies to better match the original lens.

Here are a few quick snapshots just to demonstrate f/2 rendering at close distances. These are straight-out-of-camera b&w JPEGs shot this morning on the SL2-S using the standard mono film style. No edits were made to them except to re-size for web.

(As always, click to see sharper versions / forum preview are soft)

With the sun at the edge of the frame:

Minimum focus distance of 0.7m:

At around 1m showing transition out to around 6m before jumping to infinity:

At around 2m with background at infinity:

Just under 1m with mid-distance plant on the left at about 3m:

Another at minimum distance:

Just under 1m with infinity distance background:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

LLL does say that this is a modern remake of the lens. In Ted's video, he says they have redesigned it for full frame 35mm sensors versus the original, which was made for Super 35.

Indeed. That's why I said it's interesting: a modern interpretation of a classic.

FWIW however, the SP 50/2 Ser. II does cover FF at all apertures and across the focus range - at least after conversion to the M mount. Not quite so for the Ser. I, which shows slightly dark corners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb hdmesa:

Sometimes BPM and other filters like it can look really nice, but in many lighting scenarios they can look too uniform and less attractive. If you watch a few clips of the movies filmed on the original Cooke lens this is based on, you don't see that "soap opera" sheen across the frame that we all instantly recognize as a soft focus filter.

If you want to read/see more about the sharp+glow, there's a lot of samples of this in the 35 Lux Pre-ASPH thread here.

Thanks for the explanation. Point is, I really like everything I see from this lens so far. Hope I can get one here in Germany.

• Like 1

Some more shots with the LLL Speed Panchro II prototype, this time on the M11

Forum previews are soft, click for sharper view

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

I missed the price indication somehow. Any ideas?

I believe that they are going to introduce the availability/price next month (according to their NA distributer on the Leica FB classified page). I’m looking forward to ordering one as well.

Edited by RMF

Two more samples at f/8

• Like 5