Magnifier with diopter correction

Besprosvet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody.

I'd like to magnify the finder to have a nearly 1 to 1 reproduction with 50mm lenses, still, I may need also some diopter correction (I'll try going by an optician to try a few lenses to get which fits best, likely -0,5 or -1).

Is it possible -if getting original Leica products- to attach both a magnifier and a diopter correction lens at the same time? Do I have to check compatibility or they're always good for any digital M (I have an M246 and soon an M240 too)?

Do you know if there are some good quality third party producers that can address this problem?

Thank you

Possible, but perhaps not necessary, or without other problems, as discussed here…

I stick with my (sun)glasses (for distance, astigmatism and light sensitivity), now with an additional +.5 diopter for aging eyes. I found that a magnifier was not needed, and reduced VF contrast.  

Best to experiment, and be sure to correct as best as possible for all issues including astigmatism.  

The VF opening diameter increased with the M10 models; the older devices should fit prior models.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

If you just need the diopter, get the correction lens (type II if you're using M10 or M11), which screws into the eyepiece. If you also need the magnifier (1.25x or 1x4.) you screw the magnifier into the eyepiece and the correction lens into the magnifier.

If you want to use the magnifier on M10 or M11 you also need the eyepiece adapter, as the magnifier was not yet updated (and probably never will) for M10 or M11.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am retired with poor eye sight yet have been a very die hard Leica M rangefinder shooter for 55 years, but all of a sudden 8 or so years back I was struggling to focus accurately and tried all of Leica's magnifiers and diopters only to land on an integrated system from Thumbs Up, the E-Clypse 1.45X magnification adjustable diopter which ranges from -3 to+3 in adjustment. I can now again focus my M10M as quickly as ever given both the increased 1.45X magnification plus the +3 diopter for my particular eyes. I think the screw in threaded adapter M14 / M12 to allow it to fit the larger M10 eye piece was approx. $80 and the E-Clypse 1.45X-34D was $180 and to me the combined cost of $230 allows me to be able to continue to use and enjoy my M rangefinder as if I were still 30 not creeping towards 70. The cost is up to you for the benefit of being able to still enjoy the wonderful world of rangefinder focussing. Tim Issac who owns Thumbs Up is also an incredible engineer and a very nice human being so I enjoy supporting him as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the Match Technical E-Clypse on my older Ms. It is 1.25x and goes from -3 to +3 diopter. I am nearsighted so I am at about -2. It also comes with a nice little lens eyecup.

I have two of these, one on my MP always and a spare for when I want to put it on the M9s. I also use just the -2 diopters when I don't need the magnification.

Joel

• Like 1

I use Leica -1.5 diopters on my M bodies and also the 1.25x magnifier for longer lenses. Your 246/240 takes the same size as film bodies. You can screw the diopter onto the magnifier. There are aftermarket options like the Match Technical but I have not used it.

• 2 weeks later...