Swap q2m for m10m?

Nimar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is not a very well formed thought, and rather limited by geography**.  But I purchased a q2m a few months ago after almost 10 years since using a pair of M6s. The Q2M has really brought the joy back into photography. So much so that I recently got an m10m and I know some people use both, but I’d rather simplify my setup and have two cameras that shared, batteries, lens filters, and cards etc etc. 

anyone out there going in the opposite direction with an m10-m in decent nick looking for a q2m?

I will likely just buy a second m10-m and try and sell the q2m if all else fails but it seemed like it would be an efficient trade.  A lot depends on if the m11-m comes out soon and the market is flooded with m10-ms  

** Am in Ontario, Canada which doesn’t have the highest density of Leica users   

Edited by Nimar

Interesting. You would be the first user I know that has 2 exactly the same digital M's. At least you could use different films in the M6 bodies.

I think even my M8 and M9 are too similar sometimes. The M8 is black and m9 is steel gray, but one is really a crop of the other at base ISO. If it was me, I would consider either a M11M or a M10-R or normal M10 as second body.

Always used to use the same film with two bodies and different lenses. 

Also an insurance policy if one needs to be repaired etc. 

I don’t really understand colour so no interest in a non monochrom and think the m10-m is the perfect balance of modern/legacy. Want it to be my “forever” camera (5-10 years) and have two while they are still available. 

Though will likely wait till the m11-m is out to pick the second up on the cheap. 

On 2/9/2023 at 4:04 AM, Nimar said:

Though will likely wait till the m11-m is out to pick the second up on the cheap. 

If history is any indication - no "cheap" will be found.  When the M11 came out, the M10 didn't cheapen or drop in price. Similarly, I doubt M10m bodies will drop precipitously upon the release of a M11m - if/when that happens. 

Cheap in Leica terms, not cheap for normal people. Never having owned new Leica gear before I’m learning quickly that the majority of the price drop happens in the first 5 seconds of opening the box. 

Based on used prices the previous model does drop a few % in price each year. And a new model tends to increase the availability of the old which has some downward pressure on price. 

Edited by Nimar