Shueido Repaint Impressions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received a Leica M2 that was repainted by Shueido Camera and some have expressed interest in my thoughts/impression so creating this for those who are potentially interested in having their camera repainted (or purchasing a camera from Shueido). I know that I did as much research as I could on repaint and read mostly good feedback on Shueido, with some not-so-favorable reviews (namely that their CLA may not be the best and that they may skip some prep work, e.g. removing dents/scratches when compared to the greats like Kanto Camera or Cameraworks).

Overall, I'm very happy with the camera and wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again. The camera I purchased was listed as "Mint" condition, and I suspect that this may be helpful in the sense that the original camera did not have any dings or large scratches (at least none that I can see).

The camera arrived very well packaged (and quickly); a Shueido box wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded by foam peanuts in an outer cardboard box. The camera itself had a piece of paper over the viewfinder and was in a plastic bag, which was surrounded by more bubble wrap/packaging paper (strips) within the Shueido box. Overall, unless the box was somehow crushed in transit, I would have no concerns with the camera itself arriving in good condition.

I tried to inspect the camera as critically as I could and I only noticed a few things:

1. One of the camera strap lugs had a couple of minor chips in the paint (not a concern for me as putting on a strap would do the same/more as I found out when putting on a Leica leather strap).
  2. There were a couple spots on the backside of the top plate that looked a little more dull compared to the rest of the sheen (approximately the size of a pen tip each). Not a bother to me as they're only noticeable when I'm looking for it at specific lighting angles.
  3. The area under the tab on the bottom plate that you turn to open/close looks to have a few spots where the paint isn't as smooth. 
  4. There is a little nick (that can be felt with a fingernail) on the top edge (camera oriented upwards) of the pressure plate. When I review the listing images, I can now see it but without knowing it was there in the first place, would be hard to notice in the listing due to the resolution of the images. I put a test roll in and this nick is past the edge of the film so I'm not particularly concerned about it (if it goes for CLA/upgrades in the future I may ask the shop to polish it so it's smoother).

For the positives (which it primarily is, the above is me being really nit-picky):

1. The overall paint job is beautiful. The semi-gloss sheen seems to match very well with my lens (Voigtlander Nokton 35 f1.5 Type II in BP). It doesn't look like edges have more/less paint, and I can't see any runs. When compared to the (new) paint on the lens, when viewing at an angle with a light source, you can see a little more texture/"orange peel" on the Shueido paint, but it is still extremely smooth overall.
  2. The black may have an ever-so-slightly different shade than the Voigtlander, but this could just be my imagination as well. They're very close.
  3. The focusing patch looks great and the viewfinder is bright (I was testing it last evening in my kitchen with minimal lighting and had no issues with focusing).
  4. Everything seems to run buttery smooth - I put a test roll through the camera to check for scratching (see my MP thread for more info if you haven't already), and the rewind seemed smoother than either of the two MPs I had tested (maybe that would come with time on the MP though?).

Some open questions for me that I am happy to follow-up here with updates in case anyone is interested:

1. How was the overall prep? How thick/thin is the paint? I.e. will I notice any chips happening with it as I use the camera and how easy/difficult will it brass with use?

In short, I'm satisfied and am happy to have a BP M2 at a price point I can afford without having to get a second mortgage. I also feel that there was more "value" (subjective, I know) in purchasing the camera this way since it wasn't terribly more expensive than a "Mint" condition M2 on the market currently, with the added benefit of having the repaint already done.

If anyone has any specific questions or wants any images, happy to help answer anything I can for those interested in a Shueido repaint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LuckySquirrel said:

Here's some photos! They were taken on a phone and downsized so not the best IQ, but should help show the quality of the paint job and how well it does (I think) match the lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That was fast! I did look at this myself and would have bought it if it didn't have a self timer. I have a self timer M2 already so wanted something different. It looks great though and makes me think as I check out their M4 for sale.

5 hours ago, LuckySquirrel said:

I just received a Leica M2 that was repainted by Shueido Camera and some have expressed interest in my thoughts/impression so creating this for those who are potentially interested in having their camera repainted (or purchasing a camera from Shueido). I know that I did as much research as I could on repaint and read mostly good feedback on Shueido, with some not-so-favorable reviews (namely that their CLA may not be the best and that they may skip some prep work, e.g. removing dents/scratches when compared to the greats like Kanto Camera or Cameraworks).

Overall, I'm very happy with the camera and wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again. The camera I purchased was listed as "Mint" condition, and I suspect that this may be helpful in the sense that the original camera did not have any dings or large scratches (at least none that I can see).

The camera arrived very well packaged (and quickly); a Shueido box wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded by foam peanuts in an outer cardboard box. The camera itself had a piece of paper over the viewfinder and was in a plastic bag, which was surrounded by more bubble wrap/packaging paper (strips) within the Shueido box. Overall, unless the box was somehow crushed in transit, I would have no concerns with the camera itself arriving in good condition.

I tried to inspect the camera as critically as I could and I only noticed a few things:

1. One of the camera strap lugs had a couple of minor chips in the paint (not a concern for me as putting on a strap would do the same/more as I found out when putting on a Leica leather strap).
  2. There were a couple spots on the backside of the top plate that looked a little more dull compared to the rest of the sheen (approximately the size of a pen tip each). Not a bother to me as they're only noticeable when I'm looking for it at specific lighting angles.
  3. The area under the tab on the bottom plate that you turn to open/close looks to have a few spots where the paint isn't as smooth. 
  4. There is a little nick (that can be felt with a fingernail) on the top edge (camera oriented upwards) of the pressure plate. When I review the listing images, I can now see it but without knowing it was there in the first place, would be hard to notice in the listing due to the resolution of the images. I put a test roll in and this nick is past the edge of the film so I'm not particularly concerned about it (if it goes for CLA/upgrades in the future I may ask the shop to polish it so it's smoother).

For the positives (which it primarily is, the above is me being really nit-picky):

1. The overall paint job is beautiful. The semi-gloss sheen seems to match very well with my lens (Voigtlander Nokton 35 f1.5 Type II in BP). It doesn't look like edges have more/less paint, and I can't see any runs. When compared to the (new) paint on the lens, when viewing at an angle with a light source, you can see a little more texture/"orange peel" on the Shueido paint, but it is still extremely smooth overall.
  2. The black may have an ever-so-slightly different shade than the Voigtlander, but this could just be my imagination as well. They're very close.
  3. The focusing patch looks great and the viewfinder is bright (I was testing it last evening in my kitchen with minimal lighting and had no issues with focusing).
  4. Everything seems to run buttery smooth - I put a test roll through the camera to check for scratching (see my MP thread for more info if you haven't already), and the rewind seemed smoother than either of the two MPs I had tested (maybe that would come with time on the MP though?).

Some open questions for me that I am happy to follow-up here with updates in case anyone is interested:

1. How was the overall prep? How thick/thin is the paint? I.e. will I notice any chips happening with it as I use the camera and how easy/difficult will it brass with use?

In short, I'm satisfied and am happy to have a BP M2 at a price point I can afford without having to get a second mortgage. I also feel that there was more "value" (subjective, I know) in purchasing the camera this way since it wasn't terribly more expensive than a "Mint" condition M2 on the market currently, with the added benefit of having the repaint already done.

If anyone has any specific questions or wants any images, happy to help answer anything I can for those interested in a Shueido repaint.

I may have missed it but did you buy this from one of their Ebay listings? I see they have another M2 up there as well so I'm just curious if maybe they have a few in stock or something.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, archive_all said:

That was fast! I did look at this myself and would have bought it if it didn't have a self timer. I have a self timer M2 already so wanted something different. It looks great though and makes me think as I check out their M4 for sale.

I think this is the first time I've been pleased with DHL as the shipper. Took less than 2 days from shipping to get from Taiwan to where I live (West Coast of US). I was debating whether I wanted a self-timer or not but I figured it may be neat to have for family shots. Or if I ever want to do any longer exposures since it doesn't have IBIS it could be handy to not have to have a cable remote (I'm coming from Olympus so maybe it's a crutch of mine).

I did look through their Completed/Sold history and it looks like they had another "Mint" M2 that was a button rewind earlier this year (but I believe it was painted in a matte blue and was really neat looking but not sure if you would want that or something more traditional). I've also heard some people recommend reaching out to them on their FB page and providing them specifications (e.g. you want a "Mint" or better M2 that has a button rewind, and want it painted matte/semi-gloss/gloss black) and they essentially put you on a list so when it comes in they can build to your spec. I think some people have bypassed paying the eBay sales tax this way as well (but then I read that another forum member here purchased something from Fotopia I think and then had Cali come after them for sales tax later so maybe this wouldn't work depending on where you live?).

20 minutes ago, archive_all said:

I may have missed it but did you buy this from one of their Ebay listings? I see they have another M2 up there as well so I'm just curious if maybe they have a few in stock or something.

Sorry I didn't specify that here, but yes it was from their eBay page! I saw the other M2 as well but it said that the prism glass is aging and I had no idea what that meant. I'm not sure how many they have go through their customized orders but it seems like M2s/M3s/M4s pop up fairly frequently on their store (just based on the 90 day history I can view).

The other thing I forgot to mention but I thought was neat is the body cap appears to be brass as well and they painted it the same color. I was expecting a plastic one similar to what the MP had.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LuckySquirrel said:

I think this is the first time I've been pleased with DHL as the shipper. Took less than 2 days from shipping to get from Taiwan to where I live (West Coast of US). I was debating whether I wanted a self-timer or not but I figured it may be neat to have for family shots. Or if I ever want to do any longer exposures since it doesn't have IBIS it could be handy to not have to have a cable remote (I'm coming from Olympus so maybe it's a crutch of mine).

I did look through their Completed/Sold history and it looks like they had another "Mint" M2 that was a button rewind earlier this year (but I believe it was painted in a matte blue and was really neat looking but not sure if you would want that or something more traditional). I've also heard some people recommend reaching out to them on their FB page and providing them specifications (e.g. you want a "Mint" or better M2 that has a button rewind, and want it painted matte/semi-gloss/gloss black) and they essentially put you on a list so when it comes in they can build to your spec. I think some people have bypassed paying the eBay sales tax this way as well (but then I read that another forum member here purchased something from Fotopia I think and then had Cali come after them for sales tax later so maybe this wouldn't work depending on where you live?).

Sorry I didn't specify that here, but yes it was from their eBay page! I saw the other M2 as well but it said that the prism glass is aging and I had no idea what that meant. I'm not sure how many they have go through their customized orders but it seems like M2s/M3s/M4s pop up fairly frequently on their store (just based on the 90 day history I can view).

The other thing I forgot to mention but I thought was neat is the body cap appears to be brass as well and they painted it the same color. I was expecting a plastic one similar to what the MP had.

Thanks, that's all very helpful.

Self timer: It is useful just as you've mentioned. I've taken family shots with it as well.

I have been in contact with them a few months ago actually and I felt communication with them was good. They just haven't had exactly what I'm looking for yet and didn't want to customize my M2 as far as I've wanted too. I still may have that done at some point but through Cameraworks for a real modded out camera.

The aging prism: Maybe they're seeing evidence of finder separation. As far as I know it's repairable but obviously you don't want to buy a refinished camera and have that happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LuckySquirrel said:

Congratulations with your 'new' M2. I am sure it will work better than your MP.

The original M2 of the time came with a plastic body cap, with screwed on metal fitting for the bayonet. I also have seen the same front with plastic bayonet fitted on these.

Apart from the heresy to paint such a classic, I do find the result very pleasing. If you are going to mod a camera, I would also choose the one with best features like the self-timer and non-button reverse lever...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, archive_all said:

Thanks, that's all very helpful.

Self timer: It is useful just as you've mentioned. I've taken family shots with it as well.

I have been in contact with them a few months ago actually and I felt communication with them was good. They just haven't had exactly what I'm looking for yet and didn't want to customize my M2 as far as I've wanted too. I still may have that done at some point but through Cameraworks for a real modded out camera.

The aging prism: Maybe they're seeing evidence of finder separation. As far as I know it's repairable but obviously you don't want to buy a refinished camera and have that happen.

Just curious, what mods are you planning for your M2 (and what has already been done)? I have a habit to mod things (my Tacoma for example lol), and was already putting together a list of recommended mods that I found on l-camera-forum and Reddit for the M2. My hope is to get a BP MP in the future and then whenever this M2 needs to get a CLA or repair done, get any mods done at the same time (I don't plan on selling this camera so am not worried about ROI at all).

Good point regarding the balsam - it doesn't specifically call out that there is no separation like they did on the listing for the M2 I purchased. I think this area is one thing I'd like to have addressed on the future in my camera.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mediumformula said:

A few months ago I bought a SS M3 that was repainted by Shueido. I think they did a nice job on it.   I'll try to post some pictures of it tomorrow. 

Definitely would love to see some photos! I wasn't 100% sure about Shueido because everything online said they aren't one of the top players so it's nice (and reassuring) to see others have a good experience/opinion of the work done.

6 minutes ago, dpitt said:

Congratulations with your 'new' M2. I am sure it will work better than your MP.

The original M2 of the time came with a plastic body cap, with screwed on metal fitting for the bayonet. I also have seen the same front with plastic bayonet fitted on these.

Apart from the heresy to paint such a classic, I do find the result very pleasing. If you are going to mod a camera, I would also choose the one with best features like the self-timer and non-button reverse lever...

That's good to know, thank you for sharing!

Completely understand how painting could be a controversial topic. I think if it was a rare or collectible model I would definitely err on the side of leaving it all original. It's funny that you mention the self-timer and non-button reverse lever as some of the better features (because I am of the same mind). I was reading some articles/reviews where the ideal M2 for the authors would be a button rewind with no self-timer (and some went so far as to say no frame line preview lever) with the intent of having the "cleanest" look possible. I can see the POV, but the self-timer seems like it can be so useful to me and per my understanding, the rewind lever is less prone to issues than the button.

One noob question I have - to turn the ASA dial on the back you have to depress the center portion correct? I didn't want to force anything without being sure first.

12 minutes ago, LuckySquirrel said:

One noob question I have - to turn the ASA dial on the back you have to depress the center portion correct? I didn't want to force anything without being sure first.

Indeed. Just press and turn. It does not have any other function than reminding you of the ISO. I stick a tape on the button plate with the type of film now, so I remember what is loaded.

I think I would go for a modern electronic meter to put in the hot shoe.

12 minutes ago, LuckySquirrel said:

Completely understand how painting could be a controversial topic. I think if it was a rare or collectible model I would definitely err on the side of leaving it all original. It's funny that you mention the self-timer and non-button reverse lever as some of the better features (because I am of the same mind). I was reading some articles/reviews where the ideal M2 for the authors would be a button rewind with no self-timer (and some went so far as to say no frame line preview lever) with the intent of having the "cleanest" look possible. I can see the POV, but the self-timer seems like it can be so useful to me and per my understanding, the rewind lever is less prone to issues than the button.

Collectors like it more because it is rarer and for some has a better look.

The button is sometimes pressed by accident and can get stuck when the mechanism is failing over the years. So Leica improved the design with the lever.

The self timer was left out because the initial M2 was designed as a slimmed down cheaper version of the M3. Simpeler RF mechanism (flares where M3 is still better than the MPs), no slf timer and lower magnification. It was sold 20-30% cheaper as the M3. Same build quality, fewer parts and labor.

Due to the success of 35mm there was demand for more M2's and more features, so they re introduced the self timer and increased the price of the M2.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RayD28 said:

Wonderful looking camera.  Do they remove the chrome plating before painting black?

Yes. Shueido are great from what I’ve seen. I find that for regular black paint or olive paint, Kanto camera are the best. But for used finish, I actually think Kanto do a pretty crappy job. Shueido used finish painting is unbelievable. Also…they take about 4 months whereas Kanto takes 16 months to get to your order..by that time I will have forgotten about the camera to be honest ahah 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LuckySquirrel said:

Just curious, what mods are you planning for your M2 (and what has already been done)? I have a habit to mod things (my Tacoma for example lol), and was already putting together a list of recommended mods that I found on l-camera-forum and Reddit for the M2. My hope is to get a BP MP in the future and then whenever this M2 needs to get a CLA or repair done, get any mods done at the same time (I don't plan on selling this camera so am not worried about ROI at all).

Good point regarding the balsam - it doesn't specifically call out that there is no separation like they did on the listing for the M2 I purchased. I think this area is one thing I'd like to have addressed on the future in my camera.

So I already have an M4 aperture in the VF. I have an M4 style take up spool from dag, a plug and play retrofit. Multi coated finder windows and stainless strap lugs from Youxin. What I'd like to do is the removal of the self timer, cut the fangs, fill the flash ports, new curtains, addition of a guard around the lens release, plus repaint. Alan said he can do all of that. I was about to send it out but I stalled as I convinced myself to buy an MP when the exchange rates were good. That turned into look for a mint used one. Now with the issues I just don't want to be bothered with the chance it could scratch film so I've landed back to most likely sending my M2 out for the mods. The only issue is it's my only film M so I'm trying to figure out what to do for 6-12 months without it. I do have a Rollei 35 and digital M. I think maybe I buy a secondary film at in the meantime, maybe a user M6 to try one out and then sell it when my M2 comes back but I haven't decided yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LuckySquirrel said:

For the record I see no shame in refinishing or modifying these vintage cameras. I think it's cool and there are already enough pristine examples for the history of mankind 😂.  I don't feel as though it destroys a work of art or something. My take is you can have very personalized tool that works perfectly for you and looks as you want it to.

• Like 4

On 2/9/2023 at 5:43 AM, archive_all said:

So I already have an M4 aperture in the VF. I have an M4 style take up spool from dag, a plug and play retrofit. Multi coated finder windows and stainless strap lugs from Youxin. What I'd like to do is the removal of the self timer, cut the fangs, fill the flash ports, new curtains, addition of a guard around the lens release, plus repaint. Alan said he can do all of that. I was about to send it out but I stalled as I convinced myself to buy an MP when the exchange rates were good. That turned into look for a mint used one. Now with the issues I just don't want to be bothered with the chance it could scratch film so I've landed back to most likely sending my M2 out for the mods. The only issue is it's my only film M so I'm trying to figure out what to do for 6-12 months without it. I do have a Rollei 35 and digital M. I think maybe I buy a secondary film at in the meantime, maybe a user M6 to try one out and then sell it when my M2 comes back but I haven't decided yet.

Apologies for another simple question, but what does the aperture do in the VF? Is the M4 aperture/VF brighter than the one that was in the M2? I've seen this recommended and am definitely interested. I've also seen the MC finder windows upgrade and would want to do that. For the strap lugs - what is the material that comes on the M2? Is it brass? If so, what is the benefit of going to SS?

That is quite an extensive list, but seems like the end result would be a super clean and unique M2. What color would you want to repaint? Having a second film M body doesn't sound like a bad idea at all 😁.

• Like 1