Sigma Announce 50mm F1.4 DG DN L mount

Planetwide

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 22 Minuten schrieb NigelG:

Hmm - a new member shilling a non-Leica L mount lens - seems familiar somehow….🤔

Too bad not more brands are taking the plunge into the L-mount alliance "yet".
So if one finds the choice of L-mount lenses too limited now, one can still find other alternatives by a detour.

Edited by Babylonia

Am 26.4.2023 um 13:18 schrieb Archiver:

Is there a lens you would recommend in its place? I've been eyeing the Sigma 65mm f2 and the new 50mm f2 as potential upgrades to the Panasonic 50/1.8.

Nope, I would also go with one of these two.

Find attached what tipped me over the edge not to go with the Sigma.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean, you even see it in the full shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blown out clipping highlights within images, like sky areas as shown by your example pictures,
always is a bad starting point for judging the qualities of lenses.
Most lenses shall suffer in one way or another by these circumstances.

At least start with proper exposed / processed examples.

On 5/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, Babylonia said:

Blown out clipping highlights within images, like sky areas as shown by your example pictures,
always is a bad starting point for judging the qualities of lenses.
Most lenses shall suffer in one way or another by these circumstances.

At least start with proper exposed / processed examples.

I don`t agree with the first statement. Highlights such as these are informative. I remember many years back comparing a Leica-M 1.4/75 and the M-APO 2/90 and the results were night and day. The APO 90 was dead clean, while massive CA with the 1.4/75. The latter may seem to be the case here as well, but of course other errors may be present as well.  

• Like 1

Of course there shall be differences between one lens or another.
Still improperly exposed/processed photos, blown out clipped highlights in photos still is a bad starting point,
as flaws shall be amplified.

An untuned grand piano is also a poor basis for judging the qualities of the instrument.
Also tasting and judging coffee, it has to be brewed correctly, with the right roast, grind and temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The included shot is an example of real world use, and in this example the lens displays significant LOCA. Considering the trade offs with this lens, such as reduced size, weight and nice bokeh, fixing the LOCA on the occasional shot maybe worth it to some people. It would be to me. That said, some will choose the heavier lenses as mentioned, which I also own. Information such as above is always helpful.

Perhaps someone can post a shot showing the lens in a positive light.

1 hour ago, Planetwide said:

The included shot is an example of real world use, and in this example the lens displays significant LOCA. Considering the trade offs with this lens, such as reduced size, weight and nice bokeh, fixing the LOCA on the occasional shot maybe worth it to some people. It would be to me. That said, some will choose the heavier lenses as mentioned, which I also own. Information such as above is always helpful.

Whether these show the lens in a positive light is purely subjective but I like it.. however I had pre-ordered it before Sigma announced the 50 f/2, maybe if they had been announced the other way round I wouldn't have got it, as it stands I now have both😄!  

Art on the CL both wide open

and on the S52 - again both wide open

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Planetwide said:

Boojay,

Thanks for posting. I happen to like the look of the lens. How does the F2.0 compare?

I am a big fan of the f2 for sure, but then I like the contemporary i-series lenses.  Both lenses are sharp wide open and if shooting at f/2 and above I see little if no difference in IQ.

Meant to shoot both of these at f/2 but you can see I actually set the art to f/1.9 No edits other than default Lightroom settings, think it shows how close they are:

Art at f/1.9

f/2 at f/2🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Planetwide:

Well to me it is heavily increased size and weight coming from an 50/1.4 ASPH M-Lens :D

If for you it's a compact lens, I'd say go for it. I like the rendering, the colors (slightly warm as most Sigmas) and resolution capability. LoCa is (as I've shown above) correctable by 3 clicks in LR if you stumble upon it. Main reason for me not to keep it was, as mentioned, increased size and weight. 

In order to not have only contributed a negative examples, find some pictures of my significant other scarf which happened to be there when I needed to testdrive the lens for the one weekend I've had it. These are of course edited and coloured.

• Like 5

Am 22.5.2023 um 16:28 schrieb Boojay:

Whether these show the lens in a positive light is purely subjective but I like it..
however I had pre-ordered it before Sigma announced the 50 f/2,
maybe if they had been announced the other way round I wouldn't have got it, as it stands I now have both😄!

That also applies to me. If the 50mm f/2.0 had come "before", I probably would have taken that version.
Initially, I went for a Lumix 50mm f/1.8   But due to a bad copy of that lens, I then went for a Sigma 50 mm f/1.4

I really like the build quality, look and feel with the separate aperture ring of the Sigma.
A nice introduction to theses Sigma lenses. (Only had a Sigma once, 10 year back or so - "cheap" wide zoom-lens APS-C).

Whether I will eventually exchange the bright lens for a 50 mm f/2.0 against some financial "loss",
depends on how "bored" the lugging of a 50 mm f/1.4 becomes.

(I'm not in a financial position to buy a whole arsenal of different full wide aperture lenses).

At least the Sigma 50mm f/2 offering has good reviews, also in relation to the "medium" Leica offering.
(Besides in general very good optic qualities - the Sigma f/2.0  also do have a relative high amount of LoCA)

Informative lens reviews:
Channel  "Alex Barrera" (YouTube)
Channel  "Christopher Frost" (YouTube)

• Like 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb cboy:

Seems Alex looks favourably at the sigma 50 f2 over the Leica SL 50 cron.
Perhaps Leica dropped the ball in rebranding a Panasonic lens, which is a shame considering it's a 'cron' lineup.

The "Leica Summicron" is made by the Leica factory in Portugal. Only have some extra metal parts. (By that a bit more heavy).
The "Panasonic Lumix lens" just the facilities of Panasonic / Asia.

But it is a known matter, the base design of the optics are just the same.
So don't expect real "optical" differences between a   Leica Summicron-SL 50 f/2 ASPH    and a   Lumix  50mm f 1.8

Information   Leica Summicron-SL 50 f/2 ASPH    and the optical design   < image >    price Europe (NL)   ~ € 1.950,-
Information   LUMIX S 50mm F1.8                         and the optical design   < image >    price Europe (NL)   ~ €    399,-

Edited by Babylonia

• 2 weeks later...

Always nice to see Sigma doing something different.

• 14mm F1.4 DG DN | Art
  • Lens construction: 19 elements in 15 groups (3 FLD glass elements, 1 SLD glass element, 4 aspherical lenses)
  • Shortest shooting distance: 30cm
  • Maximum magnification: 1:11.9
  • Number of aperture blades: 11 (circular aperture)
  • Size: 101.4 x 149.9mm (151.9mm for E-mount version)
  • Weight: 1170g (1160g for E-mount version)
  • Cover-type lens cap: LC1014-01
  • Tripod socket: TS-141
  • Guide plate: GP-11

Release Date: June 8, 2023

• Like 1

By the origin and manufacturing alone, I would favour the new Sigma 50/2 over the Summicron 50, as the Leica is very probably the 50/1.8 Panasonic design in a metal Leica body, maybe with different lens coatings. Paying Leica money for a rebranded Panasonic lens that costs almost 1/5th of the Leica price seems silly. It would be ideal if I could test the Sigma 50/1.4 and 50/2 together.

It would also be good to see a comparison of image quality and rendering between the Sigma 50/1.4, 50/2 and the Leica APO Summicron 50. Maybe throw in the Panasonic 50/1.4 as well, which is a huge lens but possibly right up there with the Leica APO.