M11 Metering Not Working

bmf.dng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone - nice to meet all of you.  Was hoping my first post in this forum wouldn't be related to troubleshooting an issue, but alas, here I am.

I just bought an M11 about a month ago, and after shooting for a couple hours today in aperture priority mode, I noticed that my last couple of exposures were quite a bit overexposed.

After a break, I continued shooting about 3 hours later, and this time the metering was completely not functioning.  With the lens wide open (I have a summilux 50) in daylight, it's saying the correct exposure is 12 seconds at ISO 3200 - which obviously isn't correct.

Anyone have an issue like this in the past? I tried resetting the camera to no avail....any idea what could be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance,

bmf.dng

18 minutes ago, Streetphoto said:

Did you leave the lens cap on for a while  by mistake?  I'm not trying or  intend this to be funny or stupid reply. Did you turn body off , remove battery and restart ?  There are many experts out here that may add more technical feedback. 

Haha, no offense taken.  Yes...

Steps taken include:

1) Turn off, remove battery, dispense remaining power by pressing shutter button - restart.

2) Resetting camera settings

I think its a malfunctioning shutter...seems unusual, especially for a camera with <1,000 captures.

Change the shutter setting to mechanical shutter only, to see if the shutter opens.

Mine happened once on firmware version 1.5,  turn on the M11, and it didn't open the shutter,  I check the settings and then change the shutter from electronic to mechanical, then it back to normal (the shutter opened and metering). After that, it didn't happen again.
Which version is your M11, version 1.6 or 1.5?

1 hour ago, Evan-Liu said:

Change the shutter setting to mechanical shutter only, to see if the shutter opens.

Mine happened once on firmware version 1.5,  turn on the M11, and it didn't open the shutter,  I check the settings and then change the shutter from electronic to mechanical, then it back to normal (the shutter opened and metering). After that, it didn't happen again.
Which version is your M11, version 1.6 or 1.5?

Thanks Evan.   Running v1.6.  I actually left that off my list - I did try setting to electric only, then back to mechanical, and it didn't do anything for the camera.

I'm planning to bring the camera back to Leica tomorrow, as it's only one month old.  Will let everyone know what they say.

24 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Is the meter unresponsive regardless of which metering pattern you are using. Also out of curiosity is this also happening when you set your ISO manually?

None of the above are fixes. Just curious 

Yes, regardless of metering pattern.  And yes, if you set ISO manually, it just increases or decreases the shutter speed.  Alternatively, if you go into full manual mode, the meter just reads it as underexposed by 3+ stops.  

Further evidence that this has to be some sort of shutter issue...since the meter is the sensor, I think it's just a function of the sensor not seeing getting any light.

• Thanks 1

Have you pulled your memory card and tried without it in the camera?  I would turn off, pull the card, turn on, reset and see where you are.  Some people have reported issues which, may or may not, have issues related to improperly formatted, or defective cards.  By removing your SD card and reformatting the internal memory and doing a full reset, you effectively begin fresh.  If you don't remove the card to reset everything you may be picking up something from the card. 

• Like 1

I have seen few posts of somebody else with a similar issue around here, i.e. the shutter not opening when camera on, in fact I recall even a video.

in that case the camera was taken back as faulty. and I would suspect this is the case. the person having the issue was open to use it as it was but could not have metering (as you) and live view (he was not bothered). the camera would take pictures in manual by selecting the right exposure, but with the same issues as you mentioned.

if you find the post then you can probably contact him directly and ask.

Good luck!

G>

6 hours ago, geotrupede said:

I have seen few posts of somebody else with a similar issue around here, i.e. the shutter not opening when camera on, in fact I recall even a video.

in that case the camera was taken back as faulty. and I would suspect this is the case. the person having the issue was open to use it as it was but could not have metering (as you) and live view (he was not bothered). the camera would take pictures in manual by selecting the right exposure, but with the same issues as you mentioned.

if you find the post then you can probably contact him directly and ask.

Good luck!

G>

This is precisely what I'm experiencing.  Live view shows a black image, and the camera seems to work in manual mode...and the shutter is not opening when the camera is on.  

I'll look through the forum to find...if anyone finds it and wants to link it back to this thread, that would be helpful too.

Thanks everyone!

Just to close the loop on this, went to the Leica Store today, and they handled it 100% perfectly.

Immediately recognized that the camera wasn't functioning the way it should, and exchanged it for a new unit.

Hopefully this one is perfect!

• Like 7