Flashing with the visoflex?

Pelu2010

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey, 

Say I would like to shoot a model with a 75 mm 1.2 and I date to do so against the light source. Say sun. 
I would like to flash to get some nice light in the face of the model. 

how can I do this with a visoflex attached? 
if the visoflex does not have a sync …. 
the camera has no sync …. 

are there any Leica flashes that magically attach to the system? 

or is there a double visoflex flash sync adapter? 

do we flash? 

don’t we flash …. 

• Like 1

There are many, many multi-purpose hot-shoe adaptors that we have used since the '70s.  Many have a hot-shoe on top and a pc sync-cord adaptor on the side.  Canon has them, Nikon has them, there are third-party versions...... Your best bet will be to purchase 5, or 6, and try until you find one that will allow for manual control of the sync-cord through the port and the Visoflex on the top shoe.  It's very possible that none will work, but one might. 

Edited by DenverSteve

None of those options will work with the Visoflex however, since they don’t pass through all of the additional electronic contacts recessed into the shoe for the EVF.  There was a user that hacked a PC port into their Visoflex 20 - I’d suggest searching the forum for that.  Otherwise there is no alternative solution at this time.  

Nikon had an interesting system for some of their cameras.  There was an accessory port on the body (not the hotshoe) that could accept a proprietary wireless flash trigger.  You could use this to trigger Nikon branded wireless flashes and still leave the hotshoe open.  The downside to it was that you were locked into Nikon speedlights only and couldn’t use actual strobes.  I used this for a while with the D850 and Z6 and it was okay but I felt too limited by the Nikon flashes and prefer more powerful, controllable lights.  It might be nice if Leica were to build in something similar to this, but with a different wireless protocol such as Profoto’s. 

Perhaps some sort of monocular loupe rig for the Live View on the back, so you'd shoot it kind of like an slr, your eye to a hole through the back. That would leave the hotshot open for flash, trigger, whatever. Looks like they're actually made. Will probably have to jerry rig to an M11 though.

Yeah, Leica have left flash photographers behind that's for sure. Even not shooting with an EVF, I found it frustrating trying to use a wide lens and flash. Just have to forgo the finder and guesstimate the framing. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-H32MB-HoodLoupe-Outdoor-Screens/dp/B074N4Z4J1