Tamron will issue L-mount lenses....

hofo100

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...sorry for the click-baiting title, but playing around with ChatGPT on a rainy Sunday revealed some interesting information....;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 3

This is the kind of thing that has me questioning my Leica ownership.  Like, I remember when I had a film Nikon SLR and a Tamron zoom lens, and that thing was a POS compared to the native lenses.  Sure, times have changed and maybe Tamron is making decent glass now, but it seems crazy to me that we spend all this money on Leica bodies and then are willing to go to the lowest bidder for lenses.  To be fair, in many cases, the lowest bidder is doing just fine in terms of quality (Sigma, for example).  But it just makes me feel like maybe I don't need to be shooting a Leica after all, I don't know.  I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I think I'm just genuinely disillusioned with the brand (maybe the killing of the APS-C line finally caught up with me, lol).

Edited by MJB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MJB said:

This is the kind of thing that has me questioning my Leica ownership.  Like, I remember when I had a film Nikon SLR and a Tamron zoom lens, and that thing was a POS compared to the native lenses.  Sure, times have changed and maybe Tamron is making decent glass now, but it seems crazy to me that we spend all this money on Leica bodies and then are willing to go to the lowest bidder for lenses.  To be fair, in many cases, the lowest bidder is doing just fine in terms of quality (Sigma, for example).  But it just makes me feel like maybe I don't need to be shooting a Leica after all, I don't know.  I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I think I'm just genuinely disillusioned with the brand (maybe the killing of the APS-C line finally caught up with me, lol).

You make a valid point. I don`t know Tamron very well so I have no knowledge of the quality of Tamron lenses, but Sigma is like you state yourself also a low cost seller, and many of their lenses are superb. At least when it comes to lenses you don`t use very often, I am sure that Sigma will serve 90 % of all users well. I have Leica SL 35 and 75, and the 24-90. I also own the Sigma 70mm macro and the 150-600. Leica does not offer anything here, and if they did, prices would be excessive. I believe there are rumors though that Leica will offer an uograded version of the Sigma 100-400, just like they upgraded Sigma 24-70. Admitting Tamron into the L-alliance, will likely eat into Sigma sales, I expect.

I think you misunderstand what is going on here. ChatGPT is an AI that generates realistic seeming text based on prompts. This is one of the ways in which it is dangerous, and hofo100 has literally created the problem that is now rampant around the world. Someone says something as a joke or more sinisterly, as political disinformation, and people who don't understand the joke believe the information to be true, and then soon enough it spirals out of control. As of now, Tamron does not offer L mount lenses. This is literally a computer making up an answer that it thinks you want to hear.

As for your feeling about having Tamron lenses available in L mount...well that is a bit strange and elitist, to be honest. Leica is not the only company making L mount bodies...you can buy Panasonic and Sigma cameras too, and if you want to buy a Leica and use only Leica lenses nobody is stopping you. Is a Leica M camera bad because Voigtlander made a Bessa camera in M mount or nearly every camera maker has made Leica Screwmount or M mount lenses over the years (Nikon, Canon, Zeiss, Konica, Minolta, Voigtlander, etc etc)?

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't mind a Tamron 35-150/2-2.8 with L-Mount. But as Stuart said, this is just an AI generated quote.

I don't think Sigma would want Tamron in the L-Mount Alliance because they are at a same-ish price level. Of course, Tamron could reverse engineer their lenses, like they did for Canon. Maybe they could try with a 50mm, we don't have enough of those yet :D

29 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

As for your feeling about having Tamron lenses available in L mount...well that is a bit strange and elitist, to be honest. Leica is not the only company making L mount bodies...you can buy Panasonic and Sigma cameras too, and if you want to buy a Leica and use only Leica lenses nobody is stopping you. Is a Leica M camera bad because Voigtlander made a Bessa camera in M mount or nearly every camera maker has made Leica Screwmount or M mount lenses over the years (Nikon, Canon, Zeiss, Konica, Minolta, Voigtlander, etc etc)?

Really?  I think my feelings are the opposite of elitist.  My argument is that I think the emperor (i.e., Leica) has no clothes.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 35 Minuten schrieb Stuart Richardson:

I think you misunderstand what is going on here. ChatGPT is an AI that generates realistic seeming text based on prompts. This is one of the ways in which it is dangerous, and hofo100 has literally created the problem that is now rampant around the world. Someone says something as a joke or more sinisterly, as political disinformation, and people who don't understand the joke believe the information to be true, and then soon enough it spirals out of control. As of now, Tamron does not offer L mount lenses. This is literally a computer making up an answer that it thinks you want to hear.

You are totally right - I thought this was a good laugh showing how much of the “I” is still missing in the AI…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJB said:

Really?  I think my feelings are the opposite of elitist.  My argument is that I think the emperor (i.e., Leica) has no clothes.

Ok, I guess I just don't follow your logic. I don't understand how Tamron or Sigma lenses mean that all of a sudden Leica bodies are no longer worth buying. I don't really have a problem with any of them...I use an SL2 and a Panasonic S1 along with Leica and Sigma lenses. I use what I think makes the most sense and works best for my goals. But anyway, I did not clearly understand what you were trying to say, and I am sorry if I put words in your mouth. It sounded to me like you were saying that having Tamron lenses available in L mount was somehow diminishing the quality of the Leica offerings.

I see it the other way. The R and M mounts acted as barriers for people who wanted to try Leica lenses. We saw that when digital came a long, and all of a sudden EOS photographers were snapping-up every R lens they could find. Then the A7 was released and everyone wanted M lenses.

The L Alliance means that you can finally use Leica lenses without investing in a Leica body. It also means that you can have a Leica body and still use some less-expensive lenses, or exotic lenses, if you want. It's a win-win for everyone.

8 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Ok, I guess I just don't follow your logic. I don't understand how Tamron or Sigma lenses mean that all of a sudden Leica bodies are no longer worth buying. I don't really have a problem with any of them...I use an SL2 and a Panasonic S1 along with Leica and Sigma lenses. I use what I think makes the most sense and works best for my goals. But anyway, I did not clearly understand what you were trying to say, and I am sorry if I put words in your mouth. It sounded to me like you were saying that having Tamron lenses available in L mount was somehow diminishing the quality of the Leica offerings.

That’s okay, I’m not sure I follow my own logic anymore, after sleeping on it. 

Edited by MJB

24 minutes ago, MJB said:

That’s okay, I’m not sure I follow my own logic anymore, after sleeping on it. 

I think I do follow your logic, even if it might seem a little convoluted. And I am with you on the demise of CL/TL line catching up with us - that specifically threw me into conniptions and I suffered through a year of trying all number of different systems as replacements. What surprised me most was just high quality the competition is now, even the budget brands. I'm no longer sure that Leica stuff is any "better" but is more just "different" from any number of others. And much, much more expensive. 

I seem to remember that Tamron was actually making the "Zeiss" Batis lenses, which were really good - so no reason they couldn't make quality L-mount lenses. Just as Sigma already does. 

Edited by gotium

59 minutes ago, gotium said:

I think I do follow your logic, even if it might seem a little convoluted. And I am with you on the demise of CL/TL line catching up with us - that specifically threw me into conniptions and I suffered through a year of trying all number of different systems as replacements. What surprised me most was just high quality the competition is now, even the budget brands. I'm no longer sure that Leica stuff is any "better" but is more just "different" from any number of others. And much, much more expensive. 

I seem to remember that Tamron was actually making the "Zeiss" Batis lenses, which were really good - so no reason they couldn't make quality L-mount lenses. Just as Sigma already does. 

I guess this is where I'm coming from.  I've enjoyed my Leica gear very much in terms of user experience, and both build quality and design are top notch, in my opinion.  But when I look around on Leica groups (on Facebook, for example) I see tons of folks who really seem to think that they have the objectively most superior picture-making machine on the planet, but then they mount some budget Chinese lens on the thing.  And I'm really not a lens snob  - I don't pixel-peep or get worked up about corner sharpness, etc.  I just think maybe my values are changing, and I'm feeling less willing to spend Leica-money on gear when I can get the same output for much less.

56 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Isn't the point of the 'L' system that it is open to a number of manufacturers??

As for Tamron, they have made and make some exceptional lenses (OK and probably a few less good ones too).

Yeah, an open system is beneficial to the consumer, and I guess for manufacturers, too.  But from my perspective, it has me questioning the purpose of Leica in the ecosystem at all.  I mean, an SL2-S with native lenses makes little logical sense when the S5-II exists.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MJB said:

In some cases, Tamron makes lenses with better IQ than Sony's. It would be great if they could start making lenses for L-mount. However, the rumor shared by AI has no foundation.

On 2/5/2023 at 11:52 PM, MJB said:

Yeah, an open system is beneficial to the consumer, and I guess for manufacturers, too.  But from my perspective, it has me questioning the purpose of Leica in the ecosystem at all.  I mean, an SL2-S with native lenses makes little logical sense when the S5-II exists.

It makes a lot of sense because there are still many (I should say - enough to make it profitable for Leica) who prefer the design, button layout, ergo's of the SL/2/2S bodies and have been willing to accept or work around the limitation, by today's standard, of the AF system.  It wasn't enough for me, and I moved on from the SL2 after about two years, back to Canon.   As they say, it's what's inside that counts 😀.

Now, the prospect of S52 autofocus in an SL body at some point in the future looks very interesting to me and I'm sure I won't be the only one.  The problem for me now would be the lenses.  L mount needs to look closely at the Canon RF Tele's from the 70-200's up because it's the lenses that will probably keep me with Canon.  I am also using an S52 at the moment, and appreciating the improvements, but it's not enough yet.  

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 2

Now days in the digital era the body is the most important component and the look of the photos will be dictated by technology more so than the optics. We are not in the film era anymore where we can spend $3000 on the Summilux and then $800 on that used M2 or new Bessa. Keep using the Summilux for life and buy that MP a la Carte if you have the money or don’t, it doesn’t matter it is just a black box with a shutter. Today you buy a M11 for $8000 or used M10P whatever and many of us don’t have enough money for that Summilux. Or buy one Summicron Asph and fill the rest of the lens kit with TTartisan or Voigtlander. No one will stop you from buying all Leica if you have the budget. There’s always used M240 I guess. I know plenty of people shooting Leica M and R lenses with Sony bodies with excellent results. As a long time film user I switched because of the Monochrom.

Edited by rtai

On 2/5/2023 at 5:16 AM, MJB said:

About those clothes: https://leicarumors.com/2023/02/06/coming-soon-new-leica-summicron-sl-35mm-f-2-asph-and-leica-summicron-sl-50mm-f-2-asph-lenses.aspx/

Is a Leica lens "based" on a Panasonic lens any different on the inside? The Panasonic lenses in question are frequently discounted to a few hundred dollars, or thrown in as a freebie with a discounted camera.