Used M6 Titanium or Brand New MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Jacobjuul said:

In my opinion the MP is the better looking camera and the M6 is the better shooter. A plus of the titanium is that it's brass underneath rather than zinc, so you shouldn't get the bubbles. 

How is the M6 a better shooter with it’s worse VF and meter?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pick up any M4-2, M4-P, M6 or M6 TTL and at some point you are going to encounter the blank, white rangefinder patch that comes with Leica removing the extra condenser. Also, the M6 Titanium is about twenty five years old at this point and will need servicing because it most likely been sitting in the box since new. Skip the M6, buy the MP and enjoy yourself.

• Like 5

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Jacobjuul:

In my opinion the MP is the better looking camera and the M6 is the better shooter. A plus of the titanium is that it's brass underneath rather than zinc, so you shouldn't get the bubbles. 

Ohhh... the bubbles. If you don't see them now, you won' t see them ever.

• Like 1

Hello.  

It's worth mentioning that it was the M6 TTL Titaniums that were brass-topped, not the M6 Classic.     (The M6 TT's were made in Y2000, the same run as the various M6 TTL black paint cameras, also brass top-plates).

The M6 classics were quite some years earlier and same top plates as other M6 classic finishes .

I have the TTL Titanium and it's a beautiful camera - I do notice the difference in rangefinder contrast when I use my MP though, and find it easier .  I wasn't aware of this until I got the MP of course, and the TTL never bothered me .  The M6 classic I'm sure is a lovely profile, since it's a couple of mm shorter than the TTL (i.e. classic matches the MP height, which I marginally prefer - it does make a difference in the hand.. the smaller shape feels quicker, the TTL feels more tank-like .  Both feel great !!).

Overall I don't think you can go wrong - Of mine, my favourite is really the one I happen to be holding at the time . 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 3

Money wise the M6 (used) will give a better ROI. It will increase in value as long as you do not damage it and the MP will drop initially. OTOH the MP will probably come with a warranty and the M6 maybe not.

On 2/5/2023 at 10:39 PM, grahamc said:

Hello.  

It's worth mentioning that it was the M6 TTL Titaniums that were brass-topped, not the M6 Classic.     (The M6 TT's were made in Y2000, the same run as the various M6 TTL black paint cameras, also brass top-plates).

The M6 classics were quite some years earlier and same top plates as other M6 classic finishes .

I have the TTL Titanium and it's a beautiful camera - I do notice the difference in rangefinder contrast when I use my MP though, and find it easier .  I wasn't aware of this until I got the MP of course, and the TTL never bothered me .  The M6 classic I'm sure is a lovely profile, since it's a couple of mm shorter than the TTL (i.e. classic matches the MP height, which I marginally prefer - it does make a difference in the hand.. the smaller shape feels quicker, the TTL feels more tank-like .  Both feel great !!).

Overall I don't think you can go wrong - Of mine, my favourite is really the one I happen to be holding at the time . 

According to this site, all M6 Titaniums were ti coated over brass.  Not just the TTL version.

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M6/M6-Titanium/index1.htm

5 hours ago, Huss said:

According to this site, all M6 Titaniums were ti coated over brass.  Not just the TTL version.

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M6/M6-Titanium/index1.htm

True it does state that.  In the pretty extensive research I did before purchasing , there was a lot of different opinions out there as to whether the M6 classic was brass topped, or not.  The source of one particular article/forum thread stating that the classics were no brass, led me to the personal opinion that they weren’t.  If I recall correctly it mentioned a service that had been done and revealed no brass. Whatever it was it was enough for me to lean toward the side of the argument that they were regular zinc.   I wouldn’t be able to find the discussion again I’m afraid as I was deep in the web at that point 😂   

What was clear and not debated was that the limited M6 TTL (1000 produced) definitely was, and makes sense as they married up with the year 2000 black paint limited edition bodies , also in brass.     So I ended up buying one of those. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huss said:

The mir site really has remarkable in depth research on its content.

Yes I read it.   It’s possible they were brass but there is enough debate out there and credible pieces of info stating they were not, that makes it questionable at the least and I landed on the side that they weren’t.  I’ll try to find some discussions on it if I have time.  There were reports of oxidised Titans also. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, grahamc said:

Yes I read it.   It’s possible they were brass but there is enough debate out there and credible pieces of info stating they were not, that makes it questionable at the least and I landed on the side that they weren’t.  I’ll try to find some discussions on it if I have time.  There were reports of oxidised Titans also. 

There are reports of the sold Ti M-A peeling.