Lens recommendation for M60

Film4ever

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks, 

Long time lurker here, finally muscle up some courage to ask for your help. Many thanks in advance.

My problem: I bought my first digital body, an used M60. Please help me decide on a Lens. 

Quick background: I started shooting film 15 years ago and have been film only. I use a 35mm Summilux ASPH Pre-FLE on a M6 with (.58 finder) and a 50mm Summicron V5 on a MA with a 1.25 magnifier. 

My constraints/priorities: 1) compact, 2) good for environmental portraits. 3) good color rendering. 4)I have NOT shot with 28mm or 75mm (other than my iPhone, can I even say that?)

I am open too all suggestions, and want to learn from your personal experiences. Although one of the Summarit lenses might just do it.

Again, thank you thank you thank you!

• Like 1

Why do you need a lens with your new camera?  You have two perfectly good lenses that you seem to be happy with, just use them. The only thing that would change is to compensate a bit for focus shift on your 35 Summilux. A couple of hours experimenting should set you up. The only hitch might be that Leica may need to adjust the focusing  tolerances on your lenses, but that is by no means a given.
  Then, after using it a while you can decide if you want another lens. 

if you insist on buying a new lens to go with your new camera, look at the Voigtlander range. Incredible value for money. I find that the lens that gets me closest to the film look is the Nokton 1.5. 50. 

• Like 2

@Film4ever Carefully reading your question (post) are you matching lenses to bodies and don’t intend to interchange them?  If so, I’d continue to stay within the 35 or 50mm range, if not then simply use your two great lenses.  If I were to add a lens to the M60 body I’d add a 50 Summilux Asph Chrome. And congratulations on an excellent body acquisition, I love shooting my M60. I’ve heard that Leica will not make stainless steel bodies again because of the greater difficulty working with the metal.  

38 minutes ago, Film4ever said:

My constraints/priorities: 1) compact, 2) good for environmental portraits. 3) good color rendering. 4)I have NOT shot with 28mm or 75mm (other than my iPhone, can I even say that?)

speaking as a portrait shooter, consider working out if you're mostly going to be shooting in a confined space or something more regular. i'd recommend taking 2 lenses to every shoot. a practical combo will be '28mm + 50mm' or '35mm + 75mm'. i use the wider lens on my subject for context and the longer lens for detail.

interestingly CV is just about to release a new 75mm f1.9. it looks quite compact 

3 hours ago, Film4ever said:

Quick background: I started shooting film 15 years ago and have been film only. I use a 35mm Summilux ASPH Pre-FLE on a M6 with (.58 finder) and a 50mm Summicron V5 on a MA with a 1.25 magnifier. 

Perfectly good lenses to use on the M11. Do you still have them?
If not, I really like the vintage lenses on digital body's. Maybe an Elmarit f2.8 50 collapsible would add some new rendering and an exciting compact form factor. If you leave it on the M11 there is no need for 6-bit coding. If not I would advice coding and a CLA if the lens has not had it yet.

A  Summilux 50 v1 is also special, and of course a bit heavier than the Elmarit. It is perfect as a portrait lens wide open while still sharp when stopped down. I also have the Summicron 50 v5 but I keep them both anyway because of their different character.

Edited by dpitt

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Why do you need a lens with your new camera?  You have two perfectly good lenses that you seem to be happy with, just use them. The only thing that would change is to compensate a bit for focus shift on your 35 Summilux. A couple of hours experimenting should set you up. The only hitch might be that Leica may need to adjust the focusing  tolerances on your lenses, but that is by no means a given.
  Then, after using it a while you can decide if you want another lens. 

if you insist on buying a new lens to go with your new camera, look at the Voigtlander range. Incredible value for money. I find that the lens that gets me closest to the film look is the Nokton 1.5. 50. 

I knew I need someone talk some senses into my head. I think you are right, I will experiment with what I have and love first. 

Norton is tempting though, great recommendation. I will check it at my local dealer this week. 

2 hours ago, darylgo said:

@Film4ever Carefully reading your question (post) are you matching lenses to bodies and don’t intend to interchange them?  If so, I’d continue to stay within the 35 or 50mm range, if not then simply use your two great lenses.  If I were to add a lens to the M60 body I’d add a 50 Summilux Asph Chrome. And congratulations on an excellent body acquisition, I love shooting my M60. I’ve heard that Leica will not make stainless steel bodies again because of the greater difficulty working with the metal.  

Thank you, Sir. Cheers, and shoot in good health. Yes, these lens are cameras have been paired permanently. I will try them on M60 first, as advised by @jaapv

I definitely would love to to have Karbe's magnum opus, it would be a dream. For now I will have to prioritize compactness. Maybe one day. 

2 hours ago, sometimesmaybe said:

speaking as a portrait shooter, consider working out if you're mostly going to be shooting in a confined space or something more regular. i'd recommend taking 2 lenses to every shoot. a practical combo will be '28mm + 50mm' or '35mm + 75mm'. i use the wider lens on my subject for context and the longer lens for detail.

interestingly CV is just about to release a new 75mm f1.9. it looks quite compact 

Thank you for the recommendation. I agree, Gibson even call 75 and new 50. Will test out the new CV 75 alongside 75 2.4 summarit later this month.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, darylgo said:

50 Summilux ASPH Chrome is also my “go to” - obviously with the focussing checked to be spot-on wide open at MFD.

The black anodised version IMHO doesn’t match so well to the body colour and I tend to use it when travelling with a “regular” M as it’s lighter (relative I know).
I ditched the lovely  (supposedly limited run - ha! ) retro BC version with it’s annoying hood issues (see other threads) when I no longer had a BC body to match.

(There is also the titanium 50 Summilux Pre ASPH that might match better but it’s so hard to find…and the prices are up there!)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

39 minutes ago, NigelG said:

50 Summilux ASPH Chrome is also my “go to” - obviously with the focussing checked to be spot-on wide open at MFD.

The black anodised version IMHO doesn’t match so well to the body colour and I tend to use it when travelling with a “regular” M as it’s lighter (relative I know).
I ditched the lovely  (supposedly limited run - ha! ) retro BC version with it’s annoying hood issues (see other threads) when I no longer had a BC body to match.

(There is also the titanium 50 Summilux Pre ASPH that might match better but it’s so hard to find…and the prices are up there!)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Am I seeing double (exposure)?  Two M60 bodies?  That's a great comparison.  Chrome, despite not matching perfectly is really beautiful.   

And 'oh the ones that got away' I purchased a Ttianium M6 body, the seller was almost begging me to buy the 35 Summilux pre-asph (titanium) but I didn't.  Many years later the lens is the real jewel....unfortunately the bodies corrode.  

7 hours ago, Film4ever said:

Thank you, Sir. Cheers, and shoot in good health. Yes, these lens are cameras have been paired permanently. I will try them on M60 first, as advised by @jaapv

I definitely would love to to have Karbe's magnum opus, it would be a dream. For now I will have to prioritize compactness. Maybe one day. 

Alternatively, Leica has discontinued the Summarit lens line for M but the 50/2.4 was available in silver, it is difficult to find but they are seen occasionally, the 50/2.5 is more compact but I believe it was only made in black.     

26 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Am I seeing double (exposure)?  Two M60 bodies?  That's a great comparison.  Chrome, despite not matching perfectly is really beautiful.   

And 'oh the ones that got away' I purchased a Ttianium M6 body, the seller was almost begging me to buy the 35 Summilux pre-asph (titanium) but I didn't.  Many years later the lens is the real jewel....unfortunately the bodies corrode.  

Alternatively, Leica has discontinued the Summarit lens line for M but the 50/2.4 was available in silver, it is difficult to find but they are seen occasionally, the 50/2.5 is more compact but I believe it was only made in black.     

Had the 50 Summarit 2.5 (black only) and it was a great lens (mainly used with an M8.2) but the 50 Summilux ASPH is at another level..l