Any production numbers on Black Paint Flex SL?

Laharrier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve looked around the forums a bit for info on this, and realize production info is well documented on the mark I and II Leicaflex but haven’t been able to find anything regarding the SL bodies. Obviously these were sold plentifully in black chrome but the black paint versions appear to much less common, bordering on rare. Anyone know anything specific?

Reaching waaay back into the dark recesses of my memory, I believe that the black paint bodies were the first production run, after which they switched to black chrome.   IIRC the black paint SL bodies all had the plastic lens release and the single position advance.   And you're right I don't think there were many of them.  Sorry I don't have any concrete info... perhaps someone else more knowledgeable will be able to give you better info.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:29 PM, hepcat said:

Reaching waaay back into the dark recesses of my memory, I believe that the black paint bodies were the first production run, after which they switched to black chrome.   IIRC the black paint SL bodies all had the plastic lens release and the single position advance.   And you're right I don't think there were many of them.  Sorry I don't have any concrete info... perhaps someone else more knowledgeable will be able to give you better info.

Thanks for the reply! Here’s my copy, serial dates it to 1970, which I don’t believe is an early one. Mysterious! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Laharrier said:

Thanks for the reply! Here’s my copy, serial dates it to 1970, which I don’t believe is an early one. Mysterious! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A mystery indeed.   And a quick search online shows a number of them with the later lens release catch like yours, so apparently my memory isn't quite correct!  Good luck in your quest! 

4 hours ago, hepcat said:

A mystery indeed.   And a quick search online shows a number of them with the later lens release catch like yours, so apparently my memory isn't quite correct!  Good luck in your quest! 

Thank you!

Jim Lager states in his Leica Illustrated Guide III  regarding the Black Paint Leicaflex that "Production records do not differentiate between silver chrome and black-paint finishes, as a result there is no accurate estimate of black units produced". Unfortunately for you, he doesn't specifically mention the SL, and goes on to talk of the SL2 (only in black chrome or silver chrome). 

John

Edited by jpattison
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/9/2023 at 11:56 AM, hepcat said:

An SL I had years ago came with the red (plastic ?) lens release. It broke off, and was replaced by Leica with the later chrome metal one. 

So this could have happened.

John

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jpattison said:

An SL I had years ago came with the red (plastic ?) lens release. It broke off, and was replaced by Leica with the later chrome metal one. 

So this could have happened.

John

The plastic lens release switch often breaks so many have been replaced. When mine broke, Don Goldberg (DAG Leica), sold me a metal type replacement – and his email advised how to fit it. Simple DIY procedure and at the time was an inexpensive spare part. 

BW, dunk