PROENÇA trips with the SL2 : photographic journey with the SL2 and some photowork

proenca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

Been a Leica M user for centuries ( i.e. since the film days that there were no digital ) and recently switched to a SL2 because you know, eyesight is not getting sharper when you over 45+.

Love the rangefinder experience ( still kept my trusty M9 because of reasons :) ) but sold everything from assorted brands and went firmly in the Leica SL camp with the SL2.

This will be ( this thread ) my monthly trips ( which I do all over Europe ) either doing work or just goofing around with friends, where I would take the SL2 with me.

So far, I invested in a few lenses : 

• 12-24 Sigma Art f2.8 :  for astro and commercial real estate work - I will provide examples when I can due to copyright.  the lens is stellar, funky filter system ( got a full Haida rear system gel filters for long exposures ) 
  • 35mm Leica APO SL Summicron lens - lord, I'm still in love with the lenses. Its technically perfect, the bokeh is lovely. sharpness is spot on.
  • 45mm Sigma Contemporary f2.8 lens - meh. so much hype but not really a fan of the bokeh - harsh and busy. Got it because was cheaper than peanuts but honestly, not impressed

Have quite a few manual lenses with adapters and will post some interesting comparisons. Got a bunch of Canon FD lenses ( L stuff, 1.4 , etc ) , some Contax top lenses and so on. The SL2 platform is such a nice thing to use vintage glass : the EVF is bright and clear, responsive and so crisp.

90mm SL Summicron is on the horizon as well :) Gotta love the SL Summicrons, they are gorgeous lenses.

• Like 1

AMSTERDAM TRIP 

Obligatory in plane shots, because why not ? :)

Leica SL2, ISO 100, 35SL wide open - bit of grain added in post processing, images were ofc noise free

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by proenca
  • Like 5

AMSTERDAM TRIP

Leica SL2, ISO400, Leica SL35 wide open.

Fun with friends - I had my expectations for the SL af to be dismal ( my last AF camera was a Sony, so I was used to very high performance AF ) but... its good enough to be honest - its not fast, by any stretch of the imagination, but its precise and can capture "normal" action with ease.

• Like 1

Again, the AF is quite happy to snap quick picture. Here for example, my friend and I was moving along and of course, I was saying something stupid ( as usual ) and the AF had no problems to quickly snap on and lock on.

the sharpness and isolation of the 35mm SL APO impresses me so much when used close upon a subject.

or the girlfriend.

ISO100, wideopen, SL2.

• Like 6

Since it was a weekend trip and no tripod was carried, the cityscape/lanscape pictures I took had to be a bit compromised from where I could find a bench/balcony/whatever to support teh camera.

Weather wasn't the best for cityscape ( zero clouds visible, all foggyish ) but hey, we have to work with what we got :)

ISO400, F2.8

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On another canal and later on the evening, albeit freezing cold, I decided to a longer exposure perched on a balcony of a bridge.

Leica SL2, F16 , ISO 100, 10 secs exposure :

Edited by proenca
  • Like 2

Later on the evening, I decided to continue to push a bit more.

Longer exposure on higher ISO : 

Leica SL2, F22 ( yes, diffraction exists ) , ISO 800 and 24 seconds exposure. Remarkly clear file : 

So far, still learning since there is always a learning curve with the camera, to adapt to its indiacroassies and quirks.

very happy so far with longer exposures at base or base-ish ISO's, quite acceptable AF speed for people as long they are not running or doing sports.

next few days will fly to Milan / Florence and Venice  and continue this journey - hopefully can carry a tripod and going to try a few multishots as well.

one thing that I did try a bit and wasn't particulary fan of was long exposures at high iso - quite a few hot pixels. did a remap few times and they still persist at high isos. will have in a few months a big trip with one of Portugual best astro photographers, so will get there when we get there. Tried as well with LENR on or off, almost no difference and yes, running FW5.0.