Cart vs. Horse

Daniel Ortego

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I second this. And subscribe to reidreviews.com for evaluations of many CV lenses.

John

I couldn't say it better, I got my M8 and thanks to Sean reviews bought several CV lenses (21 -35-75) from CameraQuest and I am absolutely happy.:D :D

Enjoy this marvelous camera.

I second this. And subscribe to reidreviews.com for evaluations of many CV lenses.

John

Thanks John. The reviews of course, cover Leica, Zeiss and CV lenses. One of the common themes that arises from these lens comparisons is that the Leica lenses perform very well (not surprisingly) but that the Zeiss and many of the CV lenses also perform very well (which does surprise many). It's hard to go wrong buying Leica lenses but, on the other hand, with some research and hand-coding work (for 35 and wider lenses), its also hard to go wrong buying most of the Zeiss and CV lenses.

Then, of course, there are the Summarits. I've only done the physical testing so far but will begin optical performance evaluation as soon as the sample lenses get here. I expect very good results. Physically, the lenses seem very much up to snuff and they do compete better on a cost basis.

------------------------------

As for "the best of the best" in lenses, there's no one answer to that. It all depends on what qualities one is looking for. The Zeiss lenses, as a group, tend to have the highest contrast among current rangefinder lenses. Does that make them the best? I wouldn't necessarily say so. I recommend that people initially turn a blind eye to brand names, per se, and look at the specific drawings of the lenses they're considering. I realize, however, that such an approach would be difficult for some. And, of course, for no-hassle coding, the Leica lenses are best followed by LTM lenses with LT-M8 adapters.

We're spoiled in the high-performance options available among M lenses. No other system has it quite this good.

Cheers,

Sean

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John

I'm on it, and thanks for the tip! However, until I learn more I really love the Leica glass designs. In fact I just purchased the 28-cron and I doubt that I'll regret it although I'm really impressed with the CV reviews! Now, I'm debating between the 75's for portraiture in mixed lighting. BTW: Ultimately, I ended up purchasing the “cart” since I was simply too hell-bent on the next production run. Oh well, whether I have the diamond without the setting, or the ring without the stone, the result is pretty much the same for this poor old church-mouse. Besides, I still have my old Rebel film body until my M8 arrives. Hmm, I’m beginning to understand why this process is soOoo addicting!:D

Regards,

Likewise. My M8 arrived today. It will have to sit in the box as I assess lens options,

Now, to the lens options...

This pinhead would have a hole the the body cap so fast & have some 28mm f/120 shots in the can before my latte cooled if I had a M8 without a lens. :D

Robert

Just want to do a +1 to the ones that suggested to get the body now and one or two CV lenses. I finally gave in a couple of weeks ago and got myself an M8 and two CV lenses (a 28 Ultron and a 75 Color-Heliar ). This is my first time with a range-finder and I have never had as much fun taking photos as I have now. But boy, do I have much to learn.

Anyway, get the camera now and one or two lenses, you won't regret it!! By the way I'm in UK and I got mine from Robert White. I can not say enough good things about them!!

Niels

Okay, so you got a M8 and a 28 Summicron. Great choice!

If there are a few dollars (pounds/euros) left in your kitty, you might think about a clean used 90 Tele Elmarit. Because:

1) It will only set you back about $500.

2) Its not much bigger or heavier than a 50mm cron or lux

3) The frame lines for a 75 suck

4) The 90 frame is up when you use a 28

5) The Summarit line is not out yet and you may opt for either a 75 or 90 later

6) Leica lenses tend to breed in your bag - picking a lighter lens leaves room for more.

I carried (and still have) a 90 TeleEle in my pocket for 30 years with a M4 (w/35) around my neck. While it is not as sharp as my 90 Elmarit M, it is plenty sharp. Just make sure you get one in as new or excellent condition.

Just a thought...

Tom

I love the leica lenses my self own 6 of them but If I was down to expenses the zeiss are great still own the 25 mm f2.8 it is my lens cap here in the sticks . the 50 f2 zeiss is also a great lens . If no need for speed and living in the city I would get the 28mm f2 summicron and a 50 f2 zeiss to start. David

...If no need for speed and living in the city I would get the 28mm f2 summicron and a 50 f2 zeiss to start. David

Thanks, I just now received the 28-cron' although I wasn't aware that it was considered a slow lens. Either way, I'm happy with my choice as I contemplate my second lens. I enjoy portraiture although not so much in the studio, more casual settings. I’m not sure really which direction to start: 75 or 50 lux’. I’ll need to keep versatility in mind since two lenses will be my limit for a while. Or at least; “that’s what she said”.

Regards,:rolleyes:

Thanks, I just now received the 28-cron' although I wasn't aware that it was considered a slow lens. Either way, I'm happy with my choice as I contemplate my second lens. I enjoy portraiture although not so much in the studio, more casual settings. I’m not sure really which direction to start: 75 or 50 lux’. I’ll need to keep versatility in mind since two lenses will be my limit for a while. Or at least; “that’s what she said”.

The 28mm f/2 Summicron is not a slow lens, I wouldn't call the Elmarit 28 f/2.8 that slow either (slower then the f/2 but not that slow). To me slow lenses are 3.4/5 and up (4-5.6).

That's the big difference between Leica glass and other makers lenses.

In the Nikon line a f/2.8 lens is considered FAST these days.

Guest guy_mancuso

50 lux as a second lens is a nice choice. Than something wide like a 21 and you will have a nice set 21,28, 50 is a excellent call. Now you are building around your 28 cron remember that when you make decisions, you don't need a 35 as the second lens . Maybe 5th option on that one. Give yourself a nice spread around that 28

Build a system not a lens collection.

Okay i am really bad at that advice but get your 4 or 5 basic system lenses. Than you can always go more in time and when money premits

...Build a system not a lens collection.

Okay i am really bad at that advice but get your 4 or 5 basic system lenses. Than you can always go more in time and when money premits

Thanks a lot for that guidance. In fact, it was your advice to someone on the forum, which prompted me to go with the 28. “First to buy, last to sell” if I recall correctly. Ok, so 50-lux’ it is.

(silver of course)