Cart vs. Horse

Daniel Ortego

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m debating what to purchase first, a current crop M8 or a good lens or two (24-28mm). Ok, I’ll admit I can’t swing both initially but I want to buy & bag something for now. Based on what I'm reading, it appears the price margin increase is going to be higher on the Leica lenses and less on the body. Any advice for this poor church mouse is appreciated.:o

Regards,

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m debating what to purchase first, a current crop M8 or a good lens or two (24-28mm). Ok, I’ll admit I can’t swing both initially but I want to buy & bag something for now. Based on what I'm reading, it appears the price margin increase is going to be higher on the Leica lenses and less on the body. Any advice for this poor church mouse is appreciated.:o

Regards,

Get the body now and a couple of the great CV lenses now. You can them save for the Leica glass and not miss out shooting that wonderful body and sensor.

Guest guy_mancuso

Get the M8 and a 24mm . On BTW i have a 24mm for sale:D

Honestly if you can get a deal on a current M8 than i would get it now without the increase.

Guest s.m.e.p.

You can´t take a picture with a lens only, neither with an M8 without lens.

So you should think about the alternatives. Photography isn´t leicaleicaleica only. :cool:

Guest guy_mancuso

What go buy a Canon when the guy wants a M8, nice advice. You need to answer the OP 's question not what you may do or not do. He clearly wants a M8 but not sure if he should wait for the latest version which has no impact on the camera , save the money on the increase which maybe 500 dollars

Guest s.m.e.p.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What go buy a Canon when the guy wants a M8, nice advice. You need to answer the OP 's question not what you may do or not do. He clearly wants a M8 but not sure if he should wait for the latest version which has no impact on the camera , save the money on the increase which maybe 500 dollars

Sorry, I don´t understand your english! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Regards,

The M8 will keep going up in price so buy now.

I'm quite happy with the Zeiss (21/2.8) and CV (35/2.5M) lenses and based on my experience would recomend a 25/35 combo from either. I'll probably add a 35 cron to my own kit only because I've owned two of them in the past and love that little lens. However, the 35 CVM compares well with 35 cron (of course I'm comparing old sildes to a M8 digital file).

I had a chance to shoot with the 28/2.8 ASPH Elmarit last week, and yes, the files looked contrasty. Switching lenses, the 28/2 Summicron was not as big as I excpected and was a lovely lens to hold. The files were beautiful. If you can part with the extra cash, that would be my first choice.

FWIW: The Zeiss lenses are sharp and contrasty but certainly not objectionably so. The CV lenses are smoother rendition wise but certainly sharp enough. The Leica lenses are a joy to hold and use. They are razor sharp. Are they worth three times the price? That is your call. In any case, you will not go wrong with any lens choice on your M8.

Tom

Guest guy_mancuso
Sorry, I don´t understand your english! :confused: :confused: :confused:

No Stefan you understand my English very well , he does not want a film camera or other digital camera. That is the bottom line. leica is all about the lenses we all know that but you need to bolt them on something to work. I would never recommend a film body or another digital camera when someone clearly wants digital made by leica

Thanks to all who responded, I just emailed the supplier and requested the M8. Provided it didn’t slip through my fingers, it’s on to the next issue; a Leica lens!:o

Regards,

Congratulations, you will love it. The C/V lenses are very good and relatively inexpensive. Don't under estimate them. They are a great way to get started with a M8 on a budget.

I started out with a couple C/V lenses and a Leica 28/2.8 ASPH when the M8 came out last November. Now I have several more Leica lenses and a depleted toy fund. I think it is better to get in the game now and build toward a better lens line-up later.

Mark Gowin

This may be a little late, but you could've done what I did: I got in contact with my local Leica dealer (Dale Labs in my case) and see if they have a store demo unit for sale. I got mine for $795 off and a 2 year warranty. I have invested in CV lenses and find them to be quite wonderful.

This may be a little late, but you could've done what I did: I got in contact with my local Leica dealer (Dale Labs in my case) and see if they have a store demo unit for sale. I got mine for $795 off and a 2 year warranty. I have invested in CV lenses and find them to be quite wonderful.

No, as they say "until the fat lady sings". I haven't paid yet as I'm waiting to be invoiced but I think it's the only option on the table.

Regards,

Was in PhotoVillage this past weekend checking out a couple of V4 35/2.0 that Will had gotten in and noticed a customer pouring over a M8. The guy had decided to take the plunge and had found out that they have demo M8s for sale. Will asked me to share my experience and we talked about the issues, now mostly resolved, the joy of shooting the M8, etc.

I'm not sure that he walked out with the camera, my wife and I left to play with my new lens and to do some shopping.

But I think more folks will be looking at the second hand market and demo M8 as a way to get around the price increase.

To Digital Dude, enjoy the M8, it's a great camera.

Hi Daniel, if you don't have an Leica glass yet consider buying a Voigtlander 28mm Ultron from Cameraquest. The lens is no longer being made, but the last time I looked Cameraquest still had them in stock. This is a cracking lens, better than I remember it from my film days.

You'll also need an adaptor, you can buy that from Cameraquest too, or buy one from John Milch - his can be coded.

Enjoy the camera, you'll love it

I just emailed the supplier and requested the M8. Provided it didn’t slip through my fingers, it’s on to the next issue; a Leica lens!:o

Regards,

Likewise. My M8 arrived today. It will have to sit in the box as I assess lens options, but I wanted to get it before price rises - and I got a demo one for $1000 off so I am happy with that.

Now, to the lens options...

Dang, that is an outstanding discount! I'm still waiting to hear from the guy who is selling the M8. So far, I'm trying to get him to confirm the unit is in fact "new" and unregistered. If this is the case, it will sell for the current “full” price. I was considering the reverse option whereby to snag a Summicron 28mm. I mean, I can’t use one without the other, and I’m committed to the Leica lens. I suppose we’re in the same boat. Say, I’ll buy the lens and we’ll hook up and go shooting with paired parts!:D

Regards,

My favorite lenses are 28 and 50mm.

While I like the 28/2.0asph and the 50/1.4asph, I have to say that there are many budget lens options and I am convinced that they can work pretty good.

For example when I use the TE I dont feel its too much of a compromise, I had an old 50cron and it worked pretty good.

So my opinion: its nice to have the best of best, but there are many very good lenses, no matter if you get a 28cv, or a used 50cron, or 50Nokton, or 50 Sonnar, etc etc.

For years I used a M6 with a very old 90/2.8 and a old 35/2.0 and never felt like I was missing anything lenswise.

Yes, you can spend a lot of money for M lenses - but you dont have to. (I did anyways)

Cheers, Tom