SD card issue -- images were not permanently recorded -- Why?

Crafty Pilbow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was shooting portraits, checking them frequently.  Everything seemed fine.  I discovered later that Image 779 was correctly saved, Image 780 was not (zero bytes), and none of the subsequent Images from 781 - 867 were recorded at all.  They are missing.  Then the images beginning with numbers 868 are recorded properly.  (See Screenshot below.)  What happened?  Does anyone know?  I previewed the missing images, numbers 781 - 867, as I was making them.  Now they're gone.  I used a Leica M10 with a 64 GB V60 Angelbird SD card (280 mb/s).  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for replying.  I reformat my cards almost after every use with the SD Card Formatter app.  I don't know what more I could have done on that score.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

LocalHero1953,  The solution that works has been written about on several threads throughout the forum.  I choose not to derail the OP thread when I send a PM. r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

45 minutes ago, LeicaR10 said:

LocalHero1953,  The solution that works has been written about on several threads throughout the forum.  I choose not to derail the OP thread when I send a PM. r/ Mark

Well, up to you of course, but a solution that works should not derail the OP thread, but close it. I don't understand.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When you want to format your card on your computer, The SDCardFormatter is better than using the operating system format. The SDCardFormatter exists because when you use the SD Card in a device that has no internal format, you need something to format it.

There is no evidence that the SDCardFormatter is better than the internal camera format function. If you experience problems with the card, try reformatting it. If this does not work, throw the card away and buy a new quality card.

If a card shows glitches a simple format does not help. It needs a full format in SD formatter to deactivate the corrupt memory locations  Better to buy a new one and not too huge   

• Like 2

I had a similar issue with a (quite important) image not being saved despite having been available for preview and zooming in to check sharpness etc. later, the camera froze and subsequently the image wasn’t there . I couldn’t recover from any software designed to recover lost files but the scan discovered other deleted files from the same day. A real shame and like the OP I did regularly format the card

i’ll try to find leica’s email reply but it was along the same lines as reply here (suspected corrupt sd card). The strange thing is it never happened before, or since 

Right, thanks for posting.  I'm never going to use that card again.  It's just a humiliating situation for a working professional.  I was prepared.  I have marvelous equipment.  I even had what I thought were arguably the best SD cards available(Angelbird).  I guess not.  And no matter what you say, to the client you sound like you're making excuses, which is horrible.  

I find all this curious: I've never had a problem and never reformat my SD cards. I just put the card in my PC and download the images with Lightroom (or copy them off to the PC in Windows), and then use Windows to delete the image files from the SD card & put it back in the camera. It's how I've always used my M9 & M10.

the way i do things usually.. shoot, take out the sdcard, back up through either windows or macs, put it back to my m10r, and delete all images.. occasionally i would format in the camera.. finger crossed, been using the card since early m10 days been through lots and lots, so far so good... but this post seems a time to get a new one or at least a backup card... thanks, hope you sort out your problems

Until I recently purchased a Kingston Canvas React Plus SDXC Memory Card UHS-II to try, as recommended on this site, I have always used Sandisk cards in both my previous camera brands (Nikon and Fuji) and now Leica. I cannot recall any specific issues, ever.

I have always formatted in camera and usually each time after I have transferred the images to the computer. Since getting the Q2 I never delete images in camera, although I have not had a problem doing that in the past either.

The Kingston has not seen much use yet but works as it should atm. I only use 64gb max and prefer to have a few cards "just in case". 

I contacted Angelbird because my SD card is under warranty.  I included a receipt for the purchase.  They didn't offer to refund my money.  Here is a copy of their email to me.  In it, the say that they don't test their cards with Leica M10s.  The Leica M10 is not on their "compatibility list."  Wish I had known that BEFORE I bought three of them.  In any event, if you own an M10, I'd take Angelbird's word that their cards are not meant for your camera.  And if you don't own an M10, you still have cause to wonder about the reliability of cards that don't work flawlessly in M10s.  

Dear _______,

Thank you for reaching out and for supporting Angelbird.
We confirm that at the moment we did not do any testing with the Leica M10. 
This is why it is not on our compatibility list.
Do you need data recovery?

Best wishes,
Your Angelbird Team / Catharina

Kind regards,
Your Angelbird Team

--
Angelbird Technologies GmbH
Tel: +43 5572 40725
E-Mail: *****@*****.tld

Web: https://www.angelbird.com