M10-R discontinued

RMF

I bought mine used from Leica London yesterday with 6 months warranty, great condition and it was about £500 cheaper than those on eBay. I did have an M11 briefly, and it's really odd considering how similar those cameras are but also how different they feel. Much prefer the M10r, no shake issues unlike the M11, but of course each to their own. 

• Like 1

I've acquired a used M10-R as complement/companion to my M10-M. The RF needs collimation and calibration but that's a minor thing. Its a lovely camera .. I intend to be using these two camera for a good few years.

i was interested in the M10-R because battery, Visoflex 020, etc are all the same between it and the M10-M. No great disinterest in the M11 but, eh? this works fine for me, and it saves me a good bit over the cost of all new stuff. ;)

Discontinued? Doesn't bother me one bit, as long as Leica supports service and repair for the next five years or so. None of my digital cameras have ever actually broken or worn out, just simple stuff like this RF adjustment which shouldn't be any problem again for decades... 

G

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/10/2023 at 8:39 AM, Kiwimac said:

What kind of shake were you experiencing?

Camera shake. I was getting a lot of slightly blurry photos even a decent shutter speeds. I know this can be compensated for to some degree through technique but I'm not interested in changing how I shoot for some more MP I don't need. The technology should adapt to the user not the other way around. You can also dial the ISO up to get yet faster shutter speeds (x5 the focal length Leica recommend!) but then you're degrading the image, if only slightly, but then what's the point of more MP just so you can degrade the image with higher ISO? Presumably so you can crop in and really see the noise and camera shake? The colours are really nice for sure but the 60MP has spoiled it. I'll get stick for this but I think some people are more excited about the USB-C and Internal SSD, it's as if they were buying a laptop.

Edited by rossawilson1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, rossawilson1 said:

Camera shake. I was getting a lot of slightly blurry photos even a decent shutter speeds. I know this can be compensated for to some degree through technique but I'm not interested in changing how I shoot for some more MP I don't need. The technology should adapt to the user not the other way around. You can also dial the ISO up to get yet faster shutter speeds (x5 the focal length Leica recommend!) but then you're degrading the image, if only slightly, but then what's the point of more MP just so you can degrade the image with higher ISO? Presumably so you can crop in and really see the noise and camera shake? The colours are really nice for sure but the 60MP has spoiled it. I'll get stick for this but I think some people are more excited about the USB-C and Internal SSD, it's as if they were buying a laptop.

I see what you mean and tend to agree. I think the 41 MP of the 10R is ok - at least based on my limited use so far. I am still sticking to the fastest glass I can afford (or not afford!) to help keep shutter speeds up.

Whilst I can see some of what they did with the M11 being useful (electronic shutter, better battery) for sure, I do think 60MP is getting a bit much without IBIS and perhaps that should have been left for the SL series or even the Q.

I am very pleased with the M10R and I just wish I was rich enough to track down another one and stick it in a cupboard until this one dies! 🤣

• Like 2

Last week I was in serious doubt to sell the Q2 and buy a (new) m10-r. Actually I am still in doubt.

The m comes with a new cron 35mm.

advantage to me of the Q is weatherproof and autofocus. But then, I mainly use manual focus and wet days are rare (as I don’t really go out in bad weather and if I do, I have the SL).

disadvantage of the m is that it is chrome, not black, and i need to add 5000€…

7 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Last week I was in serious doubt to sell the Q2 and buy a (new) m10-r. Actually I am still in doubt.

The m comes with a new cron 35mm.

advantage to me of the Q is weatherproof and autofocus. But then, I mainly use manual focus and wet days are rare (as I don’t really go out in bad weather and if I do, I have the SL).

disadvantage of the m is that it is chrome, not black, and i need to add 5000€…

I had the same thoughts a year ago. And than in Digital Camera Graz had 2 pieces of M10R-BP, so I didn't think twice! I bought -just one of them - and never regret! At that time I still kept Q2 and my old M240. After a few months I recognized Q2 (although magnificent camera) could never quite compare with something comming out of "M"+ "M lenses" and so I replaced it for APO Summicron 35. Why I'm wrighting this? Well because I presume, if your are thinking of M10R you already know how excellent this camera is and beside having SL on backing, you won't really loose picture renderig characteristic for Q/SL cameras. Rain droplets are also trivial, unless you left camera uncovered in havy rain. I also presume you are interested in the offer from Digital Camera Graz (excellent price for the combo), so I would suggest to grab the opportunity. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MaticB said:

After a few months I recognized Q2 (although magnificent camera) could never quite compare with something comming out of "M"+ "M lenses"

If I showed you images from both in a blind test with 28mm mounted on the M you would be VERY VERY hard pressed to tell which is which. But this debate has been had here for a thousand times already. The summary is the Q2 CAN compare with "something coming out of M" if we speak in absolute terms, but each of us sees things differently and has a very own personal version of reality where one or the other camera is better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

The summary is the Q2 CAN compare with "something coming out of M" if we speak in absolute terms, but each of us sees things differently and has a very own personal version of reality where one or the other camera is better.

I absolutely agree!

On 2/25/2023 at 12:27 AM, Olaf_ZG said:

advantage to me of the Q is weatherproof

Had my M10-R black paint splashed by a couple of pretty big waves last week in Hawaii, and I'll say it's pretty damn weatherproof. Just wiped it and lens down and continued shooting and later back at the condo wiped down with clean water and towel dried. The fit tolerances on M's are so tight that it acts like weatherproofing. 

22 minutes ago, Mondelman said:

I went to test a M11 and I was offered a M10R together with a Lux 50 1.4 for the same price as the M11. Is it a good offer?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=leica summilux-m 50mm f%2F1.4 asph. lens&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1682569-REG/leica_m11b_m11_rangefinder_camera_black.html

New M10-R / 50 Lux?   Either way yes.

Could probably get both used for ~$8-9K total.  A new m11 is $9K + tax.

• Like 1