M10-R discontinued

RMF

27 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

With Leica you never know, but if true it is the end of an amazing chapter and a superb camera epoch. On the flip side the used prices will go down now so this is good.

Being the super-sized P version and many photogs find 40mp sufficient could it become a cult classic?  

The demise may yet be signaling the release of the M11-P, it has been quiet on the rumor sites.  

3 hours ago, RMF said:

I guess it was inevitable but the M10-R looks to be now listed as discontinued. Black Chrome is out but it appears there is still at least one (or more) at B&H  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1571535-REG/leica_m10_r_digital_rangefinder_camera.html?fromDisList=y

I purchased the very last one that was for sale by Leica NZ just a week ago.

The M10M won't be far behind it I don't think.

If it had the engraved P top plate and the no red dot front it really would be a classic I think. If I ever send mine back to Wetzlar for anything, I will ask them to change the top plate whilst they have it!

Edited by Kiwimac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Adam Bonn said:

My dealer hasn’t carried the 10R since the M11 arrived a year ago and he told me it was still available new, but discontinued back then…

Here it was in stock in the distributor (Leica NZ) but none of the dealers kept it on shelves. The M11 here is available off the shelf in both chrome and black at the moment.

One of the dealers even has a BNIB original (non P, non R) M10 available.

3 minutes ago, Kiwimac said:

One of the dealers even has a BNIB original (non P, non R) M10 available.

One of the UK dealers (well 2 or 3 weeks ago at least) even had a BNIB 240p for sale!

Edited by Adam Bonn

From my point of view, a disaster threatens for me at some point. Among other things, I got rid of the Sony RIV because I realized that I didn't need 60 MP, that I didn't want 60 MP.
When I think that my M10 R will last a very long time, the day will come when I will need a new M. It doesn't matter what it's called M17, M 25. I just hope that the megapixel madness will be treated and that Leica will then also offer M's with different sensor resolutions, starting at 24 Mp and we won't be forced to buy an M with stability and 300 Mp.

I honestly think that before long there will be an M body with no RF but rather an EVF. Perhaps called the MSL. Same metal body and so on, just no RF. Especially now that the CL has been terminated. 

RF cameras will be occasional reissue exhibition pieces a bit like the current M6. 

While I knew that it would be inevitable, I lament the seemingly-sudden discontinuation of the last of the M10-series cameras. I had thought that I just might manage to acquire a new M10-R or M10 Monochrom, perhaps late in 2023. I do plan to keep my M Type 246 and M10 cameras, indefinitely, and it would be nice to add a higher-resolution M camera, for landscapes, without having to add batteries and accessories for yet another model series. Of course, the pre-owned camera market remains an option. (Several of my SLR, DSLR, and other cameras, including M Type 246 Monochrom, were bought pre-owned.)

With the spell of one final new M10-series camera having been broken, I am refocusing attention on using my 47MP Nikon D850 DSLR, for landscapes. In late November, in North America, the promotional pricing for Zeiss lenses will, presumably, be repeated; I have already put reminders in my iPad’s calendar. My wife and I both use Nikon cameras, for serious bird, wildlife, and nature photography, so, we will be keeping and feeding Nikon cameras, for the foreseeable future. (She is the senior photographer, the mentor who finally coaxed me into using serious cameras, rather than just toting serious binoculars.)

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

I had thought that I just might manage to acquire a new M10-R or M10 Monochrom, perhaps late in 2023

YOu will certainly be able to buy the M10-R or M10M for at least half a year if not longer. Your goal might be reached in the fall. Plenty of stock everywhere.

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

YOu will certainly be able to buy the M10-R or M10M for at least half a year if not longer. Your goal might be reached in the fall. Plenty of stock everywhere.

Half a year may not be enough time to reach a point of being able to justify spending the money, so, I am going to try to stop looking. Even if I sell-off one or two of our heavier telephoto SLR lenses, which we now use relatively rarely, spending close to $10K US (~$9K camera, plus $8.25% sales/use tax) would not be simple to accomplish. We seem to take a considerable added federal income tax hit, in the USA, if I skim much interest from my tax-deferred retirement account before the end of the year.

The best time to buy an M10-R or M10 Monochrom would have been the end of 2021 or early 2022. I opted to add lenses, during Q1 and Q2 2022, following my long practice, with other systems, of upgrading lenses first, before upgrading the camera.

Some number of Leica owners treat their cameras like fine jewelry, so, it should not be too difficult to acquire a pristine or well-preserved, pre-owned M10-R or M10 Monochrom, eventually. 

Edited by RexGig0

On 1/30/2023 at 8:48 AM, RexGig0 said:

Some number of Leica owners treat their cameras like fine jewelry, so, it should not be too difficult to acquire a pristine or well-preserved, pre-owned M10-R or M10 Monochrom, eventually. 

When I bought my M10M almost two years ago (already?!) the previous owner had never taken it out of the box! We met at a Starbucks and I was the first to peel the protective tape off! I thought $7k cash was a pretty good deal for that. So yeah, low mileage ones will be out there for plenty of time to come. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 4:48 PM, RexGig0 said:

Half a year may not be enough time to reach a point of being able to justify spending the money, so, I am going to try to stop looking. Even if I sell-off one or two of our heavier telephoto SLR lenses, which we now use relatively rarely, spending close to $10K US (~$9K camera, plus $8.25% sales/use tax) would not be simple to accomplish. We seem to take a considerable added federal income tax hit, in the USA, if I skim much interest from my tax-deferred retirement account before the end of the year.

The best time to buy an M10-R or M10 Monochrom would have been the end of 2021 or early 2022. I opted to add lenses, during Q1 and Q2 2022, following my long practice, with other systems, of upgrading lenses first, before upgrading the camera.

I recently bought a very lightly handled ex demo M10R, £1000+ cheaper than new and I have peace of mind of having a new camera which should hold it's value for a long time..It works faultlessly, has a beautiful shutter sound and gorgeous files. After owning 2 faulty M11's I'm appreciating my camera. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lucy63 said:

I recently bought a very lightly handled ex demo M10R, £1000+ cheaper than new and I have peace of mind of having a new camera which should hold it's value for a long time..It works faultlessly, has a beautiful shutter sound and gorgeous files. After owning 2 faulty M11's I'm appreciating my camera. 

That’s exactly why I opted for the last new M10-R in NZ. 

I want to own the M11 in many ways but I’m simply unprepared to spend $15,250 to be a Beta tester. 

It’s been suggested that the M10 series might get a cult following due to being the last “digital film M” series. 

Having one in my hand, I can well believe that might be true. 

• Like 5