Leica SL501.4

Elliot Saulten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own both SL 50 lenses. I have never used the 1.4 because of its weight and overall size. My question is would you keep the 50 2.0 and sell the other or is there a good reason to keep the pair. I want to free up some funds for new additional lenses, from either Sigma or Leica should they actually introduce new ones.  Thanks Elliot

Elliot Saulten,  I see you are relatively new to the forum, so welcome.  First, you will find a good number of well meaning photographers who will offer their experience and advice to include myself.  It appears LD_50 has chimed in and already offered sage advice.  If you are not using the lens, then consider trading or selling it.  Second, I have owned both SL 50s. I currently use the SL 50 Summicron for landscape photographs.  The SL 50 Summilux is a rather special lens and is a mix between a 50 Nocitlux and 50 Apo Summicron for rendering.  When used wide open the lens renders superbly like the two aforementioned lenses, only better.  It IMO, the SL 50 Summilux is a reference lens as Leica describes its optical characteristics. I personally used the 50 SL Summilux for portraits where it renders a somewhat dreamy image in especially in the right conditions.  If you don't need to shoot wide open at f/1.4, then it might be time for the lens to find a new home.  Here are two links that might help you decide whether your lens should go or stay.  Only you can decide what is best for you.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

SL 50 Summicron Try:  https://onfotolife.com/lens_sample_photos?lens_id=4184&page=1&focal_min=0&focal_max=800&aperture_min=0&aperture_max=32

SL 50 Summilux    Try:  https://onfotolife.com/lens_sample_photos?lens_id=374&page=1&focal_min=0&focal_max=800&aperture_min=0&aperture_max=32

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 6

Rule of thumb for me is that if you are not using something, or have no likely plan to regularly use a piece of gear, it’s time to move it on.  

maybe you would use an m 50 1.4 asph more often because it’s smaller size and weight?  

or you could add another apo summicron to match your 50 apo…

it’s hard not to love the apo’s…

Robb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Elliot

When you bought the SL 50mm 1.4, is it fair to assume you had portraiture in mind? If you are into portrait, it would make sense to grab the SL 90mm and keep only one SL 50mm if budget constraints. The SL 90mm is such a fantastic lens.

Another thought, if you decide to get rid of the SL 50mm 1.4, it could be also worth giving it a try and shooting with it for a couple of weeks so you have no regret before selling it. It is an amazing lens for outdoor / indoor photography. Recently, someone working in a supermarket saw me with it and asked for a portrait. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have both SL 50mm and use them differently. But as said by others, indeed don't let too long a lens on a shelf. 

All the best

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, robb said:

Rule of thumb for me is that if you are not using something, or have no likely plan to regularly use a piece of gear, it’s time to move it on.  

maybe you would use an m 50 1.4 asph more often because it’s smaller size and weight?  

or you could add another apo summicron to match your 50 apo…

it’s hard not to love the apo’s…

Robb

+1 for the love for APO, they all are something special, certainly the Leica ones.

Your use case seems to call for light and compact size factor. Not sure why you have 2 50mm lenses now. And I do not know how you think about manual focus. If you go manual, a wider lens will make it easier. Trying something small and performant could really go outside of the box here. Maybe try a nice 28 or 35 Summilux M ASPH or 28 or 35 Summicron M ASPH for some really different experience.

The lenses render quite differently - they’re (photographic) tools. You’re not gonna learn anything about how a tool works by leaving it in the box. If you’re not using it, move it along and keep the tool you actually use.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 1

My experience is that if someone is uncomfortable or unhappy with the weight and bulk of a lens or a system, they are never going to be happy with it, no matter how good it is. If that is your experience with the 50mm summilux, then I would sell it and move one. The summicrons are there, and if you wait a bit, Sigma is also coming out with a 50mm 1.4 which will likely be good and looks to be smaller and lighter.

• Like 2

Uh oh.  The last thread like this cost me a sl 50 summilux. 

It is important to know what floats your boat around here.  Sometimes that lesson can be costly.  I am fairly new to Leica, and received a proper lesson smartly on the expense of moving in and out of lenses. 

However, I came to Leica from cannon/nikon because I had reached perfect exposures and a mental fatigue set in with clinically perfect captures.  Who knew that was a thing?  For that reason, I am chasing the most Leica Leica-ish renditions and want to be remembered for that.  I am lucky the 50 1.4 is not bigger and heavier because I am in love for what it does in bars, events and restaurants at night when I can't keep the shutter open.  It inspires me to use it more and think of new ways to use it and that is worth a lot to me. 

I use the sl50apo also and consider it a daily workhorse for most things.  We all love the APOs for what they do.  

No shame in selling a lens and moving on to something that inspires you.  My advice would be to start taking walks at night or before daylight with that summilux.  If after a month you feel the same way then there it is. 

Another with the 50/1.4

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Did you ever try the 90 Summicron-SL?

Yes, I have it. It's a wonderful lens that I use in conjunction with the 50/1.4. It has a very different look

90/2 SL Summicron

Edited by Sohail
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Did you ever try the 90 Summicron-SL?

I don’t understand questions like this. It’s like someone says I like a certain peanut butter and somebody else says did you ever try the watermelon?

The 50 Lux renders completely differently than the Crons, including the 90 which is a great lens, but it’s not gonna do that almost Noctilux buttery impressionistic falloff thing the 50 1.4 does. Plus it’s a lot less flexible using a 90 because you’re gonna have to stand way back from the subject, unless you only want a head shot. 

The 50 Lux is its own thing, yes, it is heavy and big in the SL version. But a completely different lens is not going to make an image that looks like something shot on this particular lens. A better suggestion would be to try the M version of the Lux 1.4 which at least is going to have a look that is 98% similar to the SL version.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 1

vor 22 Minuten schrieb trickness:

I don’t understand questions like this. It’s like someone says I like a certain peanut butter and somebody else says did you ever try the watermelon?

[…]

I was just curious because with the 90 Summicron-SL one doesn’t need to move back in order to avoid the Massive Front Shoulder Syndrome. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

I was just curious because with the 90 Summicron-SL one doesn’t need to move back in order to avoid the Massive Front Shoulder Syndrome. 

The 75 might be a better solution in that case. But I still think that you’re not gonna get the look of this lens in any other lens (except the M version)

• Like 1

Great thread, which mirrors my own impressions. Had the Summilux long time, added the Summicron with the idea to sell the Summilux. But the Summilux has a certain fall off and rendering which I do not completely find in the Summicron. However for travel and certain occasions I much prefer the size of the Summicron. So I ended up to keep both so far.

I use both 50s much more than the 75 Cron, don't know why, 50mm and short distance suits me well. I also use the 35 SL quite often.

If I had to keep one of the 50s it would be the Summilux SL.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

I have seen this situation kind of exaggerated with a 35mm lens but never really with 50’s.

interesting point though.

Robb

The 50/1.4 does environmental portraiture very well too where ordinarily I'd prefer the Q:

Once again, the Summicron doesn't do this.

• Like 4