I dreamed a QV

If you want to know what a Q3 “Vario” would be like then look across at the SL2 with the 28-70 f2.8 zoom lens. The lens alone is 850g or so. The body alone weighs 835g. The Q2 complete is 718g so you can see the advantage of a fixed lens with built in shutter just on weight alone. A Q3 “Vario” with 28-70mm would also be closer to the size to the SL + 28-70mm than the current Q2.

If we believe from gossip that the next generation Q will have a 60MP sensor and will possibly have “pixel binning”. Why then do you need to add more weight, more complexity, greater size and greater cost, when you can achieve all the zooming of a 28-70 lens simply by using a more densely packed sensor?

Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

If you want to know what a Q3 “Vario” would be like then look across at the SL2 with the 28-70 f2.8 zoom lens. The lens alone is 850g or so. The body alone weighs 835g. The Q2 complete is 718g so you can see the advantage of a fixed lens with built in shutter just on weight alone. A Q3 “Vario” with 28-70mm would also be closer to the size to the SL + 28-70mm than the current Q2.

If we believe from gossip that the next generation Q will have a 60MP sensor and will possibly have “pixel binning”. Why then do you need to add more weight, more complexity, greater size and greater cost, when you can achieve all the zooming of a 28-70 lens simply by using a more densely packed sensor?

Makes no sense.

Yes...adding a 'vario' lens to the Q, and keeping the weight and size down would mean the lens would have to be an F4 or slower.  You can imagine how big a 28-75 F2 would be.

Adding a lens like that completely negates the benefits of the Q.

Edited by bobtodrick

Current Q2 is a 

28mm f/1.7 - 47mp

35mm f/2.0 - 30mp

50mm f/3.0 - 15mp

75mm f/4.5 - 7mp

Although actually all as fast as a 1.7  so even better than a tri-Elmar in some ways.  Supposed 60mp sensor would give you 30mp at 50mm which is more than most actually need.  If they did variable zoom with crop modes would even allow a 90mm crop

Edited by Nimar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

Yes...adding a 'vario' lens to the Q, and keeping the weight and size down would mean the lens would have to be an F4 or slower.  You can imagine how big a 28-75 F2 would be.

Adding a lens like that completely negates the benefits of the Q.

I guess it takes about 40%  more weight to increase 40% more aperture. 
Both M and SL series offer prime and zoom, and sometimes offer various aperture. The needs are there. 
Some people do not need interchangeable lens. A fixed lens model makes more sense for those. 
I don’t see it is a technology limitation, More is about the market demand. 
If it is not available in reality, just dream it!

27 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

I guess it takes about 40%  more weight to increase 40% more aperture. 
Both M and SL series offer prime and zoom, and sometimes offer various aperture. The needs are there. 
Some people do not need interchangeable lens. A fixed lens model makes more sense for those. 
I don’t see it is a technology limitation, More is about the market demand. 
If it is not available in reality, just dream it!

Yes, and I want an SUV with 800hp, handles like a Ferrari F40 and gets 35mpg.

Dreams and what is feasible economically are two different things 😂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Einst_Stein said:

I am not so sure yet. 

As said above it depends on the maximum aperture you demand. That will dictate size and weight of the camera and lens. Remember also because the shutter is built into the lens and the lens is built into the camera (there's no M or L or R mount) this is a bespoke setup that has to be engineered from scratch. Again when the Q3 is likely to get a 60MP sensor you can crop in post to your heart's content without fear of reasonably running out of pixels.

Frankly I will take the nice 1.7 aperture of the Q with the very usable 28mm angle of view and low-ish weight over a heavier more complex and larger Q Vario.

We might be talking about XV and X 113 in the FF format. Both XV and X have their position to take pictures.

You can crop X like you crop Q or Q2, you ca crop it to 1 or 2MP. I still have digilux 4.3, it is a 1 or 2 MP small sensor camera.  Occasionally I would take it out to shoot in the company party. People love it.  

Would that obsolete XV? It is your call, but your call might be different from mine and many others.