why no aperture information?

jqian6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

sorry if I am being ignorant or asking stupid question.

why no where in the camera is the aperture information to be found? not in viewfinder when taking picture, not on LCD when viewing the picture.

I mean there are plenty of space there especially on LCD playback, it even shows a lens information. I don't need to know what lens I shot with this picture, but what aperture I shot with isn't more relevant?

on playback, it shows what mode "A" or "M", ISO, exposure compensation, shutter speed...etc, but why not an aperture?

One of the classic Forum FAQ moments.
The word has it that Peter Karbe, the former Chief Optical Engineer at Leica Camera AG, secretly burned the patent for in-camera aperture display because he wanted all lenses (especially the ones designed by him & his team) only to be used at their widest f-stop. He even wore a T-shirt around the Wetzlar HQ saying "STOP DOWN FOR WHAT?". There are pictures on the web.
But seriously - no electronic contacts between lens and camera to transmit the aperture value = all aperture info is an approximate guessing game by your Leica M.

Edited by Al Brown

Ok so it’s a guess. they decide to not show their best educated guesswork?

the mentality is that if I don’t tell you this information you don’t know that I don’t know. But I tell you this information and it’s wrong then you know I don’t know and I look stupid ?

it’s like the saying , when you don’t know don’t talk. Ok I get it 

Maybe I shouldn’t have asked this question at all. haha :)

Edited by jqian6

1 hour ago, jqian6 said:

the mentality is that if I don’t tell you this information you don’t know that I don’t know. But I tell you this information and it’s wrong then you know I don’t know and I look stupid ?

My guess (🙂) is that the designers thought that live display of the estimated value wouldn't be that useful when you can read an accurate value from the lens itself. The real value will often be some distance away from this estimate, since there is no means of transferring an aperture value to the camera, mechanically or electronically. Even worse, digital display of this estimate in the viewfinder might give the misleading impression that it's accurate, and then Leica's tech support (and forums like this!) would be inundated with questions from concerned users who have noticed the discrepancy and think they have 'faulty' cameras or lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

My guess (🙂) is that the designers thought that live display of the estimated value wouldn't be that useful when you can read an accurate value from the lens itself. The real value will often be some distance away from this estimate, since there is no means of transferring an aperture value to the camera, mechanically or electronically. Even worse, digital display of this estimate in the viewfinder might give the misleading impression that it's accurate, and then Leica's tech support (and forums like this!) would be inundated with questions from concerned users who have noticed the discrepancy and think they have 'faulty' cameras or lenses.

Live view without aperture I get it because I know what I have . But playback, they should have it on lcd screen even though it’s a guess, at least they inject this guesswork into exf data in raw file, why not show it on screen anyway? They think people wouldn’t question them when they show incorrect aperture in raw file ?

2 hours ago, jqian6 said:

Well, you could have found the answer in the general FAQ, which might also answer many other questions you haven’t yet thought to ask.  But you’re hardly the first, as a quick search will bring up dozens of similar questions regarding this basic Leica M design concept.

Jeff

It is likely that the development engineers realised that if they displayed the "guessed" aperature into the viewfinder or the EVF, there would be a whole

new era of unwarranted (sic) warranty claims and user complaints about 'the wrong / different' value being displayed in camera from that which is set by the aperature ring.

3 hours ago, jqian6 said:

well if you still want to learn it is good to ask the question. keep asking.

the reality is that the lenses have been ported from the film cameras, and EXIF data on film is still not accurate, so photographers used notebook to wright done the setting and frame name and then compare when the film was developed.

the solution is not to care, like me, or take notes.

3 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

Which is, of cot, the right solution. For taking the photograph aperture and shutterspeed are paramount, but after it is taken they have no relevance for the image.  

6 hours ago, Al Brown said:

One of the classic Forum FAQ moments.
The word has it that Peter Karbe, the former Chief Optical Engineer at Leica Camera AG, secretly burned the patent for in-camera aperture display because he wanted all lenses (especially the ones designed by him & his team) only to be used at their widest f-stop. He even wore a T-shirt around the Wetzlar HQ saying "STOP DOWN FOR WHAT?". There are pictures on the web.
But seriously - no electronic contacts between lens and camera to transmit the aperture value = all aperture info is an approximate guessing game by your Leica M.

Ok, now I need a t-shirt for that with some appropriate graphic.

23 minutes ago, MrPaulK said:

Ok, now I need a t-shirt for that with some appropriate graphic.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

12 hours ago, Photoworks said:

Or just remember. I rarely forget, at least on the day, what aperture I used for a given shot.  A piece of that is generally relying on just a few settings rather than every possible click... 1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 5.6, 8, 11.  I certainly know how much DoF I was interested in for any given shot. By limiting options, between the estimate and the result, even many months later its pretty obvious what aperture was used. Not that I, like you, care all that much in the end.