Leica X2 - Shutter Button Problem? SOS

rynaf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone,

New here, so apologies if this isn't the most appropriate channel. 

I recently got a Leica X2 and everything looks about as pristine and mint as I could imagine for a camera of this age, Everything appears to work perfectly with one MASSIVE problem. It won't actually take a photo. When I half-press the shutter button, the camera autofocuses as expected and without any issues. However, when I press the shutter button fully, the shutter does not actually actuate. It does not take the picture. It just won't fire.

I tried using a different SD card, different batteries, pressing the button in every weird angle I can imagine, etc. Nothing's worked. I contacted Leica, but they no longer service these models. They sent me a firmware update, which was actually the firmware update that was already installed on the camera (1.1), but that also didn't fix the problem. 

The fact that the shutter button still causes the camera to focus seems to indicate that the button itself isn't dead, but I'm no expert. The firmware is up to date so I don't know if it's that. 

Does anybody have ANY idea what could be causing this? It's a beautiful camera and I would love to use it, but if it can't take a photo it's just a useless accessory.

Thanks

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Return and get one that is not broken. It is highly unlikely that Leica will repair the camera. Even if they can, the cost would exceed the value. 

Thanks for responding. Return isn't really an option. I know Leica won't repair it. They've already told me that they no longer work on these cameras. I guess I was just wondering whether anybody had any idea what it could be or what options I may have besides keeping a very nice paperweight. 

Edited by rynaf

On 1/24/2023 at 4:16 AM, jaapv said:

Return and get one that is not broken. It is highly unlikely that Leica will repair the camera. Even if they can, the cost would exceed the value. 

The only thing I can think of is to dismantle it and try see if the second contact of the shutter button closes. 

On my X2, one of the toggle switch buttons to advance the images as I view them, at times ...sticks. I then run thru a few images I took before it stops. It sounds much the same issue as you....just a sticking button, shutter etc... I wonder if it is 'age' catching up and lubricants to keep things going, connections getting old etc.... jim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Try contacting David Slater who has parts and offers servicing / repairs for Leica X series cameras 

Camera Focus (Camera Repairs)

121 Layhams Road

West Wickham, Kent BR4 9HE United Kingdom

*****@*****.tld

07789 546584

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/355695-leica-dmr-internal-battery-replacement-completed/?do=findComment&comment=4609137

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

What you could try and which has worked for me on two D Lux 109 cameras:

Source some Servisol electrical switch cleaning fluid (available in spray cans) or a similar product. Spray some into eg an egg cup or similar small pot. Using a very small artist's paint brush, paint the fluid onto / into the tiny gap between the shutter button housing / on-off switch and the camera body; also paint the loaded small brush around the tiny gap between the shutter button and tjhe housing. Try and work eg a small piece of engineers drafting film or similar thin stiff paper into the lubricated gaps and work the paper back and forth to 'clean' the gaps. The fluid will clean the contacts but do not overdo it. This procedure remedied sticky/ hesitant controls on the D Lux 109. No guarantee it will work on the X2 but it might.  If the only other alternative is to send it to a technician, the Servisol is worth trying – but at your on risk.