Shave for frame lines

SamMen

I have a Canon 135mm f3.5, that will not work with my proper 35-135 ltm to m adapter. The lens cam is offset when mounted and does not make contact with the cameras cam.

What it does work on is a 50-75 ltm adapter, which is black and had the coding pits milled into it, purchased from China. I have the lens coded and the camera, M240, does show the correct EXIF information, but not the correct frame lines in the RF window. Yes, I know I could use Live View or my EVF, but it takes away from the RF experience.

Edited by SamMen

I had a similar problem with a Leica screw 135mm lens on a screw Canon body. The focussing arm on the lens was a fraction out from its position on the camera roller so did not register the correct distance. It doesnot matter too much as with a 135mm lens you are mostly taking pictures at infinity.

• Thanks 1

All my ltm lenses work properly on my Canon P as well as my FSU screw mount cameras, and I really like using the Canon 135, and would like it to work properly on the M240. Thus my question about shaving the adapter it works with. I have seen mentioned in this forum about shaving adapters/mounts, but no information about what, where and how much to remove.

I have enjoyed reading as many of the articles in this forum as possible and was hoping for some insight on doing this properly.

Thank you 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you look up adapting the 40mm Summicron to show the 35mm framelines you'll find an illustration of which part of the adapter to file down (in the case of the Summicron it's the lens mount you file down). If it works or which adapter you need to start with is another matter. Alternatively buy a cheap Olympus VF-2 viewfinder and you'll not only get perfect 100% coverage but also far, far better focusing. The viewfinder isn't great in terms of resolution compared with modern EVF's but you only really need the viewfinder for composition and focusing, you can see the rest of the scene in real life.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

Thank you 250swb.

I found some photos and descriptions, using your information. Will let the group know how it goes.

I do have the Olympus EVF, but there are times I use flash mounted to the camera.

I also have a Bresson magnifier attached to the viewfinder to assist with focusing.

Got it to work on the first go, with the dremel tool. I now have the correct frame lines and the coded LTM to M adapter brings up the correct EXIF information.

Thank you to all who pointed me to the correct information I needed, and you know who you are.

• Like 1

A few years back, I picked up a 40mm Summicron C which was a lovely, small lens and used it on my M4 for many years. The problem was by default, it brings up the 50mm frame lines. By shaving off about 0.5mm (in small steps), with a fine needle file, I was able to engage the 35mm frame lines with this lens, which was much better suited. Initially the thought of taking a needle file to my precious Leica kit was daunting. I was very very careful and made absolutely sure that I was filing the right bit (very important), but as an engineer I was also thinking, how hard can it be? It’s really not hard at all. Do it in small stages, keep everything clean, don’t let any swarf fall into the lens, or the camera and you’ll be fine. 

Obviously, it goes without saying, when you file away the metal, you can’t put it back on if you go too far, so just be careful as though it were an adjustment, rather than modification. The whole process for me was very straight forward and worked brilliantly. 

For the person who said ‘Vandalism’. I disagree, this is only the case if you’re not confident of your own abilities or don’t have a fine needle file to hand. For me it was a worthwhile thing to do and I think added some usefulness to that lens. I would not undertake a ‘modification’ that involved filing anything away on my camera though, that really could be classed as vandalism 🙂 

I also guess there are limited cases where this sort of shaving is necessary, the only one I can think of is the 40mm Summicron C for 35mm frame lines. I’m interested to know if there are any others?

01af, was just being funny.

my OP mentions that I was removing metal from a cheap ltm to m adapter, so I could always pick up another one, and start again. 
I’m an electronics technician, and and used to working on small devices, and have serviced a few lenses and camera bodies, both analogue and digital. No failures to date :)

thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and give feedback.