Capture One C1 - upgrade from Ver 22 to Ver 23?

erl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Currently I own a perpetual licence for C1 Ver 22.

They want me to pay AU$295 to upgrade to Ver 23. I cannot find what benefits I will get from the upgrade, other than sales spin.

I am totally committed and happy with C1 as it s now, but, is there new stuff I might benefit from?

Any experience or opinion welcome.

Its as with Lightroom and many users stick with their version 6 as they say they do not want to pay the monthly fee and the are fully happy with their "old" version. And this is certainly true for them. But if you go with the time then you tend to think differently: I can only speak of Lightroom and about how my brain works. All new versions brought a great progress and when editing people on a picture today it got so much simpler. BUT YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT AND YOU WILL KNOW ONLY WHEN YOU TRY IT OUT. People with their old version will never know what they miss. 

• Thanks 2

Haven't tried 23 yet. So I can't tell if it's worth the update. But in the past there was always the possibility to download a trial version.

I still stay with my old version 7. I compared it with version 20 and didn't find an substantial advancement for my workflow or my cameras. They changed the interface from 7 to 20 a bit, but not to the better IMHO. If you like to get newer cameras it might be useful.
As long as you can buy C1 I will use it. But they start pressing you more and more to the subscription model. Rising prices, no more discounts for upgrades and no educational version to buy. Left Adobe therefor. Guess I should start to have a look on alternatives, just in case.

• Thanks 1

I always did the update. C1 Knows how to sell a pig in a poke. There are some small changes in verse 23 that are completely irrelevant to me. The new subscription model and loyalty bonus is too complicated and too expensive for me. Especially since new functions are excluded when you buy them.
For me it has something of highway robbery.
Since I don't have any new hardware or plan to create one, I will continue to use Vers. 22. If something changes for me, I will check later whether a version 24 or 25 has an added value for me.
The fact that bugs have not been eliminated for years, that the HDR, panorama and noise reduction functions are lousy and that focus taking is not implemented is a major drawback in my opinion.
At the same time, I am familiarizing myself with LR. There could soon be an LR stand alone version, or DXO Lab 7 incl. Pureraw XD could be interesting.
But there is still time.

• Thanks 1

I'm on the C1 subscription plan and haven't found the new v23 features other than Smart Adjustments particularly useful in my work.  I suspect v23 will add support for Leica perspective control since its lack is being touted as a reason to prefer Lightroom. 

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As an alternative to C1, here DXO Lab 6 was compared to LR:

https://fstoppers.com/reviews/can-dxo-photolab-6-elite-knock-lightroom-classic-out-ballpark-623750

Here is a comparison of C1 with LR:

https://fstoppers.com/reviews/software-wars-can-capture-one-pro-defeat-lightroom-classic-623443

More software comparisons to come. What is interesting in both tests is that LR performed worse in each case.

Edited by M Street Photographer
  • Thanks 1

I have the subscription model and therefore v23. To me, no added benefits vs v22.

C1 is great, especially when one has lots of images (fe fashion or wedding shoot).

That said, since I changed OS, I had to install new software so I decided to give LR a change as it comes for “free” if one wants PS.

• Thanks 1

V23 adds highly improved culling, which saves me hours of secondary culling work, as I can evaluate focus off the SD card without importing shots. And it's super fast; the SD card is the limit. They call that fast large screen culling, making Photo Mechanic somewhat obsolete. Smart Adjustments is an interesting beginning of a development that will, at some point, be a game changer (lame term, I know). Layers can now be part of a Style/preset. I don't need that, but I can see use cases.

I see this upgrade worth every penny. But you will be disappointed if you are not after a fast working pace as I am but want AI and other trendy stuff. But as the C1 audience is photographers who need to edit large swaths of images, the direction C1 takes makes tons of sense.

Edited by hansvons
  • Thanks 1

To all responders so far, thank you for your helpful input. I was about to jump for the upgrade as I love C1, but for the money balanced against the work I do I feel I have nothing 'lacking' in Ver 22 which I own, so will remain content with that, or until such time as substantial benefits are offered with an upgrade.

• Like 3