Understanding SL2 and SL2-S ISO settings

kobra

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@SrMi- thanks for sharing that. 

So, that would mean the SL2-S has a dual gain sensor? To make sure I'm understanding, does it handle ISO similarly from 100-800 ISO, then switch to an invariant range that performs similarly from 800-12500+? 

I agree, the testing shown here is confirming the capabilities of that SL2-S sensor. I'm not convinced I need a second body yet, but warming to the idea of getting an SL2-S for alongside my SL2. 

Thanks again

Brad

On 1/24/2023 at 7:48 PM, dem331 said:

This is the typical thread in which you start by thinking you are acquiring new knowledge and you end up understanding neither what you have learned nor what you knew in the first place. 

And the kind of thread where I am thinking: „ok maybe I go out and shoot something“ ☺️ 

happy shooting everybody …. 

and to all: the interesting stuff is at the edges. And make more mistakes. 
what is life for if not risking it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kobra said:

@SrMi- thanks for sharing that. 

So, that would mean the SL2-S has a dual gain sensor? To make sure I'm understanding, does it handle ISO similarly from 100-800 ISO, then switch to an invariant range that performs similarly from 800-12500+? 

I agree, the testing shown here is confirming the capabilities of that SL2-S sensor. I'm not convinced I need a second body yet, but warming to the idea of getting an SL2-S for alongside my SL2. 

Thanks again

Brad

Yes, SL2-S has a dual conversion gain sensor. First range is 100 to 400 and the second range starts at 800.

I hope that SL3 sensor will be a high resolution sensor with similar noise capabilities as in SL2-S.

I use SL2 when I plan not to exceed ISO 800, otherwise I use SL2-S.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SrMi said:

Yes, SL2-S has a dual conversion gain sensor. First range is 100 to 400 and the second range starts at 800.

I hope that SL3 sensor will be a high resolution sensor with similar noise capabilities as in SL2-S.

I use SL2 when I plan not to exceed ISO 800, otherwise I use SL2-S.

I often use a tripod and then I don’t need to exceed anything! 
i just expose longer. 
many of my longtime exposures are made with iso 100 and iso 50 but with 1/4 or 1 second of exposure. 

not everything need to be shot freehand! 

many time I look for a place where I can get my camera stable to get longer exposures and the sl2 and / Sl2-s have excellent image stabilization…. 
i hope that gets even better in future. 

on the other hand: 

i have shot with Kodak 3200 iso film and boy that was grainy ! 

bot one of my digital  images has ever been so grainy (except the first phone image out of my Siemens s65- very grainy) 

i totally can live with the grain. And if not

i start the computer > photoshop > Ai > reduce grain algorithm. And I can tell you it will blow your brain out of your head 🤯

there will come a time where will all add grain because there will be no grain any more 🤣 

last year I started to scan old unexposed Film that I developed to get real grain. And that gives a real good look ! 

so the discussion is hypothetical and the only way to solve it is to make images ( well thought and well exposed) , print them big and compare them, when printed with some friends. 

and then you can really geek out …. 🤣 

cheers 🥂 

have a cigar …. 

• Like 2

There is a difference between grain and noise, especially color noise. 

Here is a comparison of SL2-S (left) and SL2 (right) at ISO 6400. Obviously it will be a lot harder to recover the image from the SL2. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Brad

1 hour ago, Pelu2010 said:

I often use a tripod and then I don’t need to exceed anything! 
i just expose longer. 
many of my longtime exposures are made with iso 100 and iso 50 but with 1/4 or 1 second of exposure. 

I prefer to use SL2 when shooting on a tripod. However, when I know I will be shooting handheld (e.g., travel first, photography second), I will take SL2-S.
I tested SL2-S and SL2 after processing through DxO's NR. There is no difference up to ISO 800.
I like film grain, I do not like digital noise.