M11 RF coupling sound

DAERASO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

M11 owner, brand new body about 700 shots in noticed a faint spring sound when focusing quickly, sounds appears when closer to infinity as well as close to minimum close focus.

RF is accurate, no issues whatsoever other than the small sound when moving towards both ends of the lens, I had a Voigtlander Nokton 1.4 which close focus distance was .7 and can't remember ever hearing such sound. So it happens that last week I upgraded to the Ultron f2 that has a much closer focus distance so I'm wondering if maybe going quickly from end to end is causing this sounds given si a longer throw that the RF is not meant for? 

Actually I just made a test, and can confirm it makes that springy like sound only when I pass the .7 mark on the lens hence why it makes it again when going back to the "normal" focus range. If I focus back and forth from .7 to infinity on the lens there's no sound. Makes sense why I never heard it on any other lenses I've owned. This is my first lens with such close focusing which I am really not a fan of but figured is a small trade off given the great optics and small size of the Ultron.

Mine did this for a while, but only in one direction and only if focusing quickly. It's the spring inside the shutter chamber pushing the RF lever forward. 

I'm pretty sure it will go away with time. Mine went away, but I'm at 13000 shots already since Feb 2022. It's annoying and frustrating but I see no reason to be concerned. It's a stiff spring and it will bed itself in eventually. 

Edited by hmzimelka

On 1/22/2023 at 3:08 AM, hmzimelka said:

Mine did this for a while, but only in one direction and only if focusing quickly. It's the spring inside the shutter chamber pushing the RF lever forward. 

I'm pretty sure it will go away with time. Mine went away, but I'm at 13000 shots already since Feb 2022. It's annoying and frustrating but I see no reason to be concerned. It's a stiff spring and it will bed itself in eventually. 

That gives me some peace of mind, regardless I was able to snipe a mint cron 35, and that only goes to .7 so I doubt I'll hear that sound again!

vor 5 Minuten schrieb DAERASO:

That gives me some peace of mind, regardless I was able to snipe a mint cron 35, and that only goes to .7 so I doubt I'll hear that sound again!

The RF lever of every M camera decouples from the lens' rangefinder cam when focusing closer than 0.7m. So what you might hear is the RF lever disengaging and reengaging the RF cam of the lens. No such disengaging and reengaging occurs if lenses with a minimum focusing distance of 0.7m are used.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wizard said:

The RF lever of every M camera decouples from the lens' rangefinder cam when focusing closer than 0.7m. So what you might hear is the RF lever disengaging and reengaging the RF cam of the lens. No such disengaging and reengaging occurs if lenses with a minimum focusing distance of 0.7m are used.

That is what I was thinking! Thank you for the confirmation.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, wizard said:

My current M11's RF disengages at around 0.58M on lenses that focus closer than 0.7m. Same for the M10M I had and other M11's I used.

The spring sound in my camera was a distinct "ping" when moving quickly from close focus (somewhere between 0.7 and 1m) towards infinity. 

The engaging of the RF roller has a very feint click when it engages with the focus of the lens again. My camera definitely had a ping which sounded like a spring releasing some tension. It no longer does this. 

Edited by hmzimelka

• 3 months later...

I have never heard such a sound while using Leica M8.2, M-P, or M10. However, this clicking sound occurred when I moved the focus from 7 meters to infinity on my Summilux 35mm and Voigtlander Nokton 1.4, but not on my Zeiss 50mm lens(0.9 m). While I was looking for a service center, I thought my device was broken. However, the sound suddenly stopped happening now.