Beach Discoveries

war

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In Harbor County Michigan, from time to time when sand gets washed away from the beach, hundreds of remnants of wooden shipping piers appear and then disappear again. They date to the 1870's when after the Great Chicago Fire, the large forested areas in Michigan provided necessary timbers to rebuild the city.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

13 hours ago, mhasman said:

Interesting. I've been there, seen it, wondered what those wooden leftovers might be. Thanks for sharing!

Yes it's a favorite place for Chicagoans to vacation and have summer homes,  Perhaps you know that we're called 606ers by the locals referring to the first three digits of our zip codes.

It seems, because of this year's low annual water level many more have become visible. And then, most winters the nasty weather and the lake ice have prevented us from taking beach walks.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, jankap said:

They were built to protect the dunes against the waves during stormy weather? There will be no tides.

Not according to the local history. All of the structures were built perpendicular to the shore line, not much protection against erosion of dunes.  You are right, the tides on Lake Michigan are only a matter of a few centimeters. 

5 hours ago, stuny said:

Lovely and interesting.  Peshtigo sent down their firefighters to help put out the blaze.  While they were away, Peshtigo burned.

Thanks. It seems you know that the Peshtigo, Wisconsin fire, and the Chicago fire, were actually simultaneous occurrences. Yes Chicago got the PR but the Peshtigo fire was much larger in area and more devastating and took more lives.  

10 hours ago, Suuumm55 said:

i like the colors of the photos and if i may go into more detail, the colors of the stones, some of which are so richly embedded in the sand

thanks Wally

Thank you for noticing. I honestly did not see the colors when I composed the shot, I was concentrating on finding some wood where there were no footprints in the shadows. Silly,  now that I think about it.  

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 8:52 AM, stuny said:

Lovely and interesting.  Peshtigo sent down their firefighters to help put out the blaze.  While they were away, Peshtigo burned.

Beautiful images with gorgeous light. I was also intrigued by the colors of the stones. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:30 PM, Idawhat said:

I always enjoy images like this. They get me to thinking what the wood was for. How long has it been imbeded in the earth. The questions go on and on.

BTY, nice photo work.

Thank you.

Your area of the country is certainly rich with a wealth of history imbedded in the earth to dig up and wonder about.