m10 to m11?

cesc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

the original M10 is heavy, no touchscreen, photos are often mo constantly and less dynamic range and the shutter is real loud.

My good friend still has the M10 and every-time we meet he thinks to upgrade to M11.

I started with M10-P what had few significant improvements , finally tired or underexposing and blowout skies I was happy to use the M10-R that was another big improvement.

Over time you will find that the changes don't add too much on paper, but in everyday use they make a difference. 
You can see the new improvements on the M11. for me image quality is the biggest selling point.
We now have a capturing tool that can keep up with the beautiful lenses, similar to the SL2.

I love it. I am all in for the new improvements if I can get this results.

6 minutes ago, SrMi said:

What hallmark would be betrayed by introducing IBIS?
If it means removing the mechanical shutter, it will solve all the complaints about the shutter opening/closing. Of course, without the mechanical shutter, the camera would be more practical, but the haptics would change.

The M from Manual in the broadest sense. Which has been undermined already btw, but still. I own an M10-R now, but I find the Menu already having way too many options. 

Edited by otto.f

4 hours ago, Stef63 said:

Things I like :

•  
  • Button and menu layout close to the SL2
  •  
  • Perspective control
  • ... no freezes or other issues  (limited to my experience)

FWIW, each of these similarly applies to to the M10-P, M10R and M10M.  Perspective control was added via FW update.

Jeff

5 minutes ago, otto.f said:

The M from Manual in the broadest sense. Which has been undermined already btw, but still. I own an M10-R now, but I find the Menu already having way too many options. 

It will become simpler if it replaces the more complex shutter option menu entry (mechanical, hybrid, electronic) with a simpler IBIS option (on/off).
I want digital Ms to be simple to use. I do not care about the camera's internal complexity as long as it is reliable.
Shooting with a film camera is also so lovely because of its simplicity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:
4 hours ago, Stef63 said:

Things I like :

•  
  • Button and menu layout close to the SL2
  •  
  • Perspective control
  • ... no freezes or other issues  (limited to my experience)

FWIW, each of these similarly applies to to the M10-P, M10R and M10M.  Perspective control was added via FW update.

Jeff

Jeff the button are only the same in SL2 with the M11
It is a small difference but it was driving me crazy pushing FN instead of play with outlooking.

6 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

Jeff the button are only the same in SL2 with the M11
It is a small difference but it was driving me crazy pushing FN instead of play with outlooking.

I own the SL2, M10M and M10R, and have had zero problems menu-wise switching between them.  Personal style and preferences.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, SrMi said:

It will become simpler if it replaces the more complex shutter option menu entry (mechanical, hybrid, electronic) with a simpler IBIS option (on/off).
I want digital Ms to be simple to use. I do not care about the camera's internal complexity as long as it is reliable.
Shooting with a film camera is also so lovely because of its simplicity.

I disagree, we are not there in sensor technology to have electronic shutter only.
the best example is the Nikon Z9, in a few situation you still have banding.
as the world moves to led and mini led the clean capturing images is harder and harder.
I my world I have not found a camera that can shoot a clean set on movie sets and television sets that has LED or huge screens in the back. always banding, some new one even have banding on mechanical shutter.

4 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I disagree, we are not there in sensor technology to have electronic shutter only.
the best example is the Nikon Z9, in a few situation you still have banding.
as the world moves to led and mini led the clean capturing images is harder and harder.
I my world I have not found a camera that can shoot a clean set on movie sets and television sets that has LED or huge screens in the back. always banding, some new one even have banding on mechanical shutter.

I believe Z9 banding was "fixed" in an update and mechanical shutters can also have banding. As long as the electronic readout is at least as fast as the mechanical shutter (1/300sec?), there should be no difference.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I believe Z9 banding was "fixed" in an update and mechanical shutters can also have banding. As long as the electronic readout is at least as fast as the mechanical shutter (1/300sec?), there should be no difference.

the FW fixed some banding issue, but still an issue when some lights are dimmed. I can't shoot people below 1/125!

I have the Q2, and recently traded my Leica SL2 and Fuji GFX 50SIi for an M11. My decision was to reduce weight of my camera gear (knee arthritis makes in hard for me to carry heavy equipment), and to increase sensor megapixel resolution. My M11’s images are equal to what my Fuji medium format system gave me. If I had my M10 at the time, I would have still traded up to the M11 for the 60 megapixels. I also like the M11’a new battery access and the greatly increases images per a fully charged battery.  

1. Battery life and associated ergonomics (coming from a former self-proclaimed baseplate purist)

2. Dynamic range and shadow recovery

3. Clarity of files at high ISO (adequate enough to say goodbye to my M10M)

4. Center-weighted metering is better than M10 in my opinion

A lust for minimalism drove me to pare down from a pretty awesome quiver (M10/M10M/Q2), and I’ve had no regrets (nor any FW/tech issues)…knock on wood.

The ONLY thing missing now for my style of shooting is what the M10M provided with ISO 50K-100K in concert lighting.

• Like 2

Btw, M11 is not a very nice name, literary spoken, I can’t tell my friends I’m shooting with an M11… They will 😳 . M10 isn’t very posh either, so Leica tried to bypass that with M, which didn’t work, so we got M240, which is incomprehensible. In 2100, historians will polarize about the reasons and the meaning of this sidestep. In fact M3, M7 and M9 were literary the best names and there are very few two-digit M names to nominate, perhaps M12 and M16? M10-R is quite weird actually which makes it a bit postmodern-arty, so that is probably the least worst option, so I abide with that. Wasn’t the R stolen from Sony btw, who came up with it in the A7 series?

Edited by otto.f

For a short moment I also considered to switch to the M11, but I'm glad I didn't. It's simply too expensive for me,  and I don't want to pay for resolutions I'll never use. My M10-P (SC) is more than sufficient for my type of shooting (family, travel and some street). I don't need the latest and greatest, be happy with what you have, and go out to take photo's (IMHO, far more satisfying than comparing camera tech). 

• Like 6