50mm Apo Summicron question

Kiwimac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m 99% certain to order one. 

The dealer asked me if I prefer black or silver. 

They seem to be the same weight so I assume that the silver one is not brass. 

However, Silver is more expensive. 

If they’re both aluminium, anodised for colour, why don’t they cost the same?

Silver lenses are less popular hence made in smaller number; more expensive when you buy it, but as being in limited number second hand, you get better price in case of sale.

Note(if you are concerned by esthetics) that the silver color of aluminium lenses is not exactly the same as the one on brass (a little less shiny), so it doesn't match perfectly with the body color.

2 hours ago, jakontil said:

Love silver, seemed to be more resistant too compared to black but i might be wrong, i went with the black anodized and swoop with the black chrome when it was released 

Pretty sure black chrome isn’t an option for that lens now. I think there was a brief run, which I would get if it was available, but I don’t think you can get it new now. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, M11 for me said:

With my lenses it is like that

- Black leses: Max aperture <=f/2 

- Silver lenses: Max aperture >f/2

That's my way  . . .

My setup is the exact opposite.  I have a silver 50 and 35 summilux.  My 35 and 28 summicrons and 21 SEM are black.  It wasn't really my intent, but it does make it easier to identify what's what.

13 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Sure you have… pricing is part of a marketing plan.

Jeff

Exactly, now 'we' are talking about it wondering if it is special, because it must be because it is painted silver and more expensive!  Marketing.

1 hour ago, Huss said:

Exactly, now 'we' are talking about it wondering if it is special, because it must be because it is painted silver and more expensive!  Marketing.

Wondering about it doesn’t get them more sales. 

Indeed, it’s more likely to get them less if we find out that there’s no reason behind it. 

I think it’s just because silver used to be brass bodies and real chrome. That probably cost more. Now they’ve just extended that to “Silver costs more” even though in an anodised aluminium lens it actually costs the same as black!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have following flare bahavior with my APO 50mm (constructed2018) by picture into the sun to 90% all my pictures.

It is normal bahvior? What is your experience flares by photos apo summicron 50mm into the sun? Maybe you can share some picture with flare… It were interesed to see how the behavior is different…

Thanks!

M10 APO 50mm wide open

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by scoutshooter
worse quality picture

• 2 months later...
On 2/25/2023 at 8:09 AM, scoutshooter said:

Hi all,

I have following flare bahavior with my APO 50mm (constructed2018) by picture into the sun to 90% all my pictures.

It is normal bahvior? What is your experience flares by photos apo summicron 50mm into the sun? Maybe you can share some picture with flare… It were interesed to see how the behavior is different…

Thanks!

M10 APO 50mm wide open

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for sharing all of this. I'm new to Leica, and I started with the M11 and 50apo. I've had it for about 10 days now. I came on here looking to compare my initial impressions with what others are saying. I got a similar flair, but my caveat is that I did put on a B+W MRC 007 clear glass filter. Here's what I got, which makes sense, given that the sun source is on the opposite side of yours - I did crop mine in a little. Looks like your experience is the same as mine. I don't think it's bad. I also see purple fringing and I'm trying to understand if that's normal, given all that's been said about chromatic aberration. Learning that purple fringing and CA might not be the same thing.

• Like 1