is the Leica X Vario a good "entry drug" for Leica cameras?

Insoc57

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. I'm a camera aficionado. I have several cameras: Sony A1, Fuji X100V, Fuji GFX100S and a Ricoh GRIII x. However, the Leica "bug" has been bitten me all the years and I'd really like to get to know the Leica "world". I love the styling of the Q2 and M cameras, but don't want a new Leica camera just to try it. Alas, in my country there is no possibility to rent a Leica for a few days. I'm intrigued by the manual focusing features of the Leicas, specially the pre-focusing options and also about the so called Leica colors and/or 3D pop photos effect. I also love the construction and general feeling.

What I would like to know is if the Leica X Vario (a used one of course) could be a good entry drug to Leica in which I can get used to Leica cameras operation, using the manual focus (practice for a M model?), experimenting first hand the difference in colors and quality of the photos (if they exist in comparison with my other cameras) etc etc. They are selling one X Vario on Ebay at $1,500 and the seller has good reputation. I would really like to hear your opinions/help and/or suggestions about other models I could buy to live the Leica experience. and hopefully get convinced and buy a new camera.

Thank you very much!!

If the M range is your holy grail. I would take a slightly different one. IMO the X1, X2 and X-E 102 are much more in line with the M.
With most of the compacts, I regret not having the M9 with me when I see the results, not with the X2!

Main difference between X1 and X2 is that the latter can take a VF2 EVF finder which makes a huge difference for me in bright sunlight. X2 + VF2 (from Olympus is good enough) is cheaper than the X Vario and gives much more M vibe to me. First step in using the M is to get rid of the 'I can not do without a zoom' feeling. I did have that, but lost it completely now.

See the X forum to compare images.
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/forum/74-leica-x/

• 4 weeks later...

The X Vario is an excellent camera but as it is older now the AF is slower than newer cameras and it's also a little bulky. The ergonomics are good and probably similar to the Fuji's. An alternative might be a smaller X1 to see if you can notice any appreciable difference with the Leica glass. I haven't tried the others, so don't know.

Another approach might be to figure what's missing in your current line-up. A Q could be a very capable camera for you, if pricier.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know much about the X-Vario, but I do own the X Typ 113. And this camera is wonderful, almost perfect. (thats why I don't understand why Leica cancelled the entire camera line). I assume that the Vario will fullfill your expectations. But if you won't to get the "M"-feeling, you should consider buying the X 113 oder the X1 / X2.

Otherwise if you got the money, go for a refurbished Q / Q2 oder even an M.

• 9 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

XV and XU my travel light choice. X 113 ( no U) would be even lighter, but XU is all weather usable.  
I also carry XV when I want M as the main camera. It plays the role of MATE.
If you get XV, it is almost certain you would want FF Leica, though you are likely to use XV much more frequent than you though.