My special Leica M4.

satya

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was wondering how to refer to my Leica film camera. It was listed as a Leica M4 Mod / M6.

It's a 1967 Leica M4 with Original Black Paint base plate and top plate that has been repainted, with a rather unusual modification - marrying a 1987 Leica M6 Classic chassis - Viewfinder with 6 frame lines,  Light Meter and Hot-shoe 😎 with the M4. So. I like to think there is some symmetry in one part of the camera from 1967 and then another from 1987. (Eagle eyes can see the Battery compartment in front, engraved M4 top plate, different serial numbers and the small speed dial button.) I ordered both M4 and M6 Classic instruction manuals. (M6 is still in mail )

I understand that the M4 was the last film bodies to have engraved script until the MPs and special edition M6s?  So its almost like a M6 with a brass body :) or a M4 with a meter. :) 

Reading up that in addition to the zinc alloy top and bottom plates on the M6- some internals were machined and plastic made its appearance? I've previously had a Leica M3- so I recall that amazing build quality of the brass film bodies. Would have loved if they kept the metal ISO dial from the M4- but i guess its stock from the M6 Classic bits; not complaining. 

How do I refer to this? Leica M4-6? Leica M46? 

Would love to know if anyone knows who did the modification or some history of the camera. The Hong Kong seller that specializes in rangefinders  said that they had only seen two of these such modifications. The other one had been done by a former Leitz Canada technician.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, analogM said:

It's an M6 with M4 top and bottom plate rather than an M4 with M6 body (which is not brass...) 😉

Nice camera though!

When asking about the mod, the seller had said "It is not a simple direct exchange of top plate because the flash sync is an issue as far as we know". Don't think I would ever use a flash.

Maybe this could be a "poor man's MP" :) .

Am looking forward to the M4 top and bottom plates brassing after use. Now just need a 35mm lens for it. Debating between a 35mm 1.4 Pre-ASPH Summilux or a 35mm F2 Summicron. Having a 50mm F1.4 Summilux-  I am partial to the Summilux and the way it renders for film. Have read that the older lens shift on a digital M body? 🤔 

I have a M10-P Reporter that I want to share lens with this one. Any advice or experience of those using a lens in both film and digital bodies?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/19/2023 at 11:29 PM, analogM said:

It's an M6 with M4 top and bottom plate rather than an M4 with M6 body (which is not brass...) 😉

Nice camera though!

The Leica M6 purists may get offended! (I’ve used a M6 - and this is heavier. Liking the brass top and bottom plates)

Some Photos. 😇

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Hello satya,

Welcome to the Forum.

Nice camera.

The number in the hot shoe appears to be 1728818. This is the number for an M6 from 1987.

The number on the top cover is 1178634. Which is the number of an M4 from 1967.

The flash sync on the M4 top cover shows the electronic (Blitz) flash to the left & the flashbulb connection on the right, under the accessory shoe. When looking from the back.

An M6 has a single flash connection. It is marked for electronic flash. This electronic flash connection is located where the M4 flash bulb connection is. Under the accessory/hot shoe.

Does that mean that you are supposed to connect your electronic flash with a cord to what is indicated to be the flash bulb connection of this M4 top cover?

Or, was your camera rewired to be like the M5, which allows the use of all 3 connections independently?

Meaning:

Hot shoe functions by simply using an appropriate flash with a hot foot in it.

Flash bulb socket in the top cover functions with the appropriate connecting cord & plug.

Electronic flash socket in top cover works with the appropriate connecting cord & plug.

Or, could it have been rewired a different way?

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear All.

Have consulted many different people including Bellamy from Japan Camera Hunter who said:-

"Now that is a real frankenleica. I would say it is an M6 with an M4 top plate. Putting a light meter into an M4 would be impossible in theory. So it has to be an M6 with a modded top plate".

Some this would be my special M6 :) ..

Easy enough to test the flash sync. My guess would be that the hotshoe works as it normally would on an M6, and that one or both of the flash sockets have X-sync for electronic flash, as the standard single socket on an M6 does, and the other either has X-sync or is non-functional. I'd be surprised if the 'bulb' socket has true bulb sync, and it would be simplest to leave the M6's X-sync socket in this position alone.

• Like 1