Proper battery for Leica M6 Classic?

satya

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have seen different posts about batteries for the Leica M6 and many deal with the TTL version. Have read that Alkaline LR 44 batteries can possibly leak and give different readings. Have ordered some Lithium CR1/3N (2L76) batteries and waiting for them in the mail. 

Is it bad to use two x Alkaline LR44 batteries until then?

I got a rather unusual and very interesting Leica M film body that has been modded 😎 and really waiting to try out the camera to see if it works. (Hint: marrying a 1967 camera with one from 1987). 😁

Any experiences / advise with Leica M6 light meters and LR 44 batteries?

You'd have to be incredibly unlucky for the batteries to leak in the short time you'll have to wait for the lithium battery to arrive (assuming these are new alkalkine batteries from a reputable manufacturer - if they are old batteries you've grabbed from another camera, then all bets are off). Alkalines can leak in the long term. I no longer use them in anything expensive.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

You'd have to be incredibly unlucky for the batteries to leak in the short time you'll have to wait for the lithium battery to arrive (assuming these are new alkalkine batteries from a reputable manufacturer - if they are old batteries you've grabbed from another camera, then all bets are off). Alkalines can leak in the long term. I no longer use them in anything expensive.

Another problem with Alkaline batteries is, even if they don't leak, they can expand and become difficult to remove. Mind you they would have to be pretty old to get into this state.

• Like 2

Years ago I left alkaline batteries in my 1985 M6 while unused for a time, and the leakage ruined the meter circuit board and also damaged a shutter part.

Whatever type you use, remove them when the camera is likely to be unused.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As others have mentioned, the ideal battery is the lithium CR1/3N, which is what Leica ships with their cameras.

Silver oxide #2.

Alkaline in a pinch but remove them the moment you do not use your camera.  I have seen them swell and leak in their packets from new!  And this is with any brand, including Duracell.  Interestingly the Duracell alkalkine cells are  now made in China, so for all I know they may the same as the cheap no name brands, just in a fancy package.

The swelling and leaking is a gradual process, so you'll be ok taking them out between use and examining them.  You can see the early signs of either quite easily - the leakage will first demonstrate as green particles/debris on the top sealed edge.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is there a CR1/3N lithium battery supply problem? It seems impossible to obtain branded (Duracell, Varta, Energizer, ...) CR1/3N 3V lithium batteries from any photo equipment dealer here in Australia. I have a Fujitsu-branded one on order from a large dealer since November last year. Expected date of delivery is unknown. None of the large electronics dealers here has any CR1/3N stock. Even B&H only has some Chinese ones in stock. What is going on? These were available on every corner in the past. I now ordered some Duracell ones from a US-based ebay store, but I prefer not to buy batteries on eBay, there is always the risk of receiving counterfeit.

Edited by Studienkamera

1 hour ago, Huss said:

Careful with Duracell.  Some of their 1/3N batteries are alkaline, sold as lithium.  And others are lithium.  Read the package fine print.

Alkaline version:

https://www.thebatterysupplier.com/products/duracell-dl1-3n-3v-lithium-battery-carded.html

wtf!! that's blatant misleading advertising - is that a genuine Duracell product or a knock-off?

4 minutes ago, romualdo said:

wtf!! that's blatant misleading advertising - is that a genuine Duracell product or a knock-off?

dunno mate. If it was a knock off though, I'd think they'd claim it was lithium.

To be clear, I am not accusing Duracell of doing anything wrong apart from having labelling that should more clearly state if it is an alkaline or lithium battery.  The issue is with the vendor who lists it as a lithium battery.

But - I had no idea that Duracell made this in two versions and so would not have checked!

Edited by Huss

one of my spares from a few years back (purchased in 2015)  1/3N Lithium

The product info on the "pseudo" non lithium (alkaline) 1/3N seems very minimalist compared to this one - different designs for different localities/countries? I've just checked the Australian & US Duracell website & the 1/3N battery is not listed

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by romualdo

7 hours ago, Huss said:

To be clear, I am not accusing Duracell of doing anything wrong apart from having labelling that should more clearly state if it is an alkaline or lithium battery.  The issue is with the vendor who lists it as a lithium battery.

But - I had no idea that Duracell made this in two versions and so would not have checked!

Looks pretty clear to me.

CR1/3N 2L76 CR11108 | 3V Battery | Genuine Original Duracell Brand  [1 x Single] - Picture 1 of 1