Turn off the red light: My farewell to the darkroom

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Joerg-Peter Rau shares his thoughts on the loss of his darkroom that was located in the basement of his mother's home. 

Reading this essay is but one of several recent serendipities that are compelling me to revisit black and white film photography and to get my film developing gear out of the cabinet where it has laid dormant for too long...

Turn off the red light: My farewell to the darkroom

https://www.macfilos.com/2023/01/18/turn-off-the-red-light-my-farewell-to-the-darkroom/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks a lot for sharing, very interesting story. For me, the story is a bit different: 5-6 years of shooting film without even thinking about printing. Only started to print 1-2 years ago and really love it. It has been an eye opening experience.

Right now, I have not printed anything for 3 months and really miss it. My makeshift darkroom is almost back in order after some serious cleaning. Can’t wait to start again!

• Like 1

I hated the darkroom. I loved what I achieved there! I made professional prints for major clients. The room changed from the storage/pantry at my Mom! TX Mom.

I still develop my BW films but will sell off my color films. Labs are expensive and the last film lot was almost ruined. I scan on a street find Canonscan.

Leica M6TTL, Leitz Tele-Elmar 135mm f4 (apo type).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pixie
Camera and lens stated
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've avoided printing my own negatives, just because of the extra time involved (I'm still otherwise fully employed and have extensive family obligations). But I have a year's sabbatical in 2024, and going back to wet printing will be my uppermost hobby concern. Not sure I'll get my own enlarger (at least at first): I can rent space in a nearby darkroom and will start there.

• Like 1

I am 79 and pretty soon 80! I did all my own pro printing, BW only! Over 50 years! It was dammed hard work, tedious and slow! Now very expensive in paper and chemicals. Clients will not pay extra for film or paper! I basically quit pro work, when digital came in! Clients thought it was free! Buy your own gear! Also for yesterday! I didn't work that way, so there's the door!Many new films are mock imitations of the original! TRI-X case in point.I still develop my films in kitchen..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 8:34 PM, bags27 said:

I've avoided printing my own negatives, just because of the extra time involved (I'm still otherwise fully employed and have extensive family obligations). But I have a year's sabbatical in 2024, and going back to wet printing will be my uppermost hobby concern. Not sure I'll get my own enlarger (at least at first): I can rent space in a nearby darkroom and will start there.

Likewise I haven't had time to print for 2 years. I want to.... very much.