Fn button as Live View button

veujin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone. I own a Leica M10-P and I'm about to buy Leica Q2. And I have a question about Fn button customization capabilities.

I really love how Lv button works on M10-P. And I'm curious if Fn button on Q2 can have the same behavior.

Here's more details on what I'm talking about. On M10-P LCD is normally off. When you press Lv button then LCD and Live View mode are turning on. One more press and LCD turns off. The same with Menu and Play buttons.

In some Youtube videos I found there's an option to assign EVF-LCD to Fn button (which is probably what I'm looking for), but there are no any demonstrations of how it works. If someone could check that Fn button with assigned EVF-LCD on the Q2 works the same as Lv button works on the M10-P I would appreciate it so much.

For those who are ready to check this:

1. go to a 4 page of Main Menu -> Customize Control -> FN Button and make sure EVF-LCD is "On"
  2. half press the shutter button to exit a menu
  3. press and hold Fn button
  4. select EVF-LCD and confirm

That's a really strange request on this forum but it's a dealbreaker for me. I would check it myself but the nearest Leica store is 12 hours away

Sorry for my English, I'm not fluent. Many Thanks!

The FN button sucks, I don't use it. I use custom menu functions instead, it's as easy to access and less buggy. EVF settings are one of my menu settings. I rarely need to go into the actual menu this way.  Don't let this be a concern for you, you'll make friends with the camera if you use it. 

Edited by Farrell Gallery

You can absolutely customize the FN button to cycle through view modes: EVF Only, EVF Extended, LCD, and Auto.  Once you set it to this function, you can forget it - it won’t change and you don’t need to constantly reset it.  This is exactly what I do and it works very well.  

22 hours ago, veujin said:

Hello everyone. I own a Leica M10-P and I'm about to buy Leica Q2. And I have a question about Fn button customization capabilities.

I really love how Lv button works on M10-P. And I'm curious if Fn button on Q2 can have the same behavior.

Here's more details on what I'm talking about. On M10-P LCD is normally off. When you press Lv button then LCD and Live View mode are turning on. One more press and LCD turns off. The same with Menu and Play buttons.

In some Youtube videos I found there's an option to assign EVF-LCD to Fn button (which is probably what I'm looking for), but there are no any demonstrations of how it works. If someone could check that Fn button with assigned EVF-LCD on the Q2 works the same as Lv button works on the M10-P I would appreciate it so much.

For those who are ready to check this:

1. go to a 4 page of Main Menu -> Customize Control -> FN Button and make sure EVF-LCD is "On"
  2. half press the shutter button to exit a menu
  3. press and hold Fn button
  4. select EVF-LCD and confirm

That's a really strange request on this forum but it's a dealbreaker for me. I would check it myself but the nearest Leica store is 12 hours away

Sorry for my English, I'm not fluent. Many Thanks!

That’s exactly how my fn butter is set up, to match how I have set the same button on my M11. One quick press switches on Live View, another press switches it off. 

Hey, 

to save battery? 

if I use the lv and I need to shut it down I 

put my finger on the sensor and the display is dark. 

i have the lv > viewfinder function set to “auto” 

i get 500 images out of one battery with the geo function set to off. 

and with on 300 ff . 

I read that it does not matter if you use the viewfinder or the lv…. 
takes tue same battery life …. 

so I am curious: why would you toggle lv ? 

kind regards 

I don’t know why the OP does it but I have the camera set to EVF extended simply because I don’t like the evf coming on when I take the camera away from my eye. I also switch off the auto review for the same reason. I only toggle the LCD panel on if I need to use it to take a picture that I can’t take using the viewfinder, eg up high or at knee high and below, or when it’s mounted on a tripod. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks you all for replies. Didn't expect this.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:41 PM, Anakronox said:

Once you set it to this function, you can forget it - it won’t change and you don’t need to constantly reset it

Sorry. I'm not sure I got it. You mean you don't reassign Fn button to functions other than EVF-LCD?

On 1/19/2023 at 4:41 PM, ianforber said:

One quick press switches on Live View, another press switches it off.

Wow. Looks like what I'm looking for. Does it switches only between these two modes, or you have to switch through all of the modes like EVF Only, EVF Extended, LCD, and Auto?

On 1/19/2023 at 6:53 PM, Pelu2010 said:

to save battery? 

No. Turned on LCD is annoying to me. I like to use OVF/EVF. But sometimes liveview is more handy and I want to have quick access to it.

3 hours ago, veujin said:

Sorry. I'm not sure I got it. You mean you don't reassign Fn button to functions other than EVF-LCD?

Wow. Looks like what I'm looking for. Does it switches only between these two modes, or you have to switch through all of the modes like EVF Only, EVF Extended, LCD, and Auto?

No. Turned on LCD is annoying to me. I like to use OVF/EVF. But sometimes liveview is more handy and I want to have quick access to it.

No need to cycle through anything. Once set up you just press once to switch on, press once to switch off. Easy!

4 hours ago, veujin said:

Sorry. I'm not sure I got it. You mean you don't reassign Fn button to functions other than EVF-LCD?.

Sorry, I should have been clearer: once you set the FN button, the camera remembers that you did.  You can then press the FN button and it will cycle through the EVF and LCD display modes.  

I just bought a Q2M and am getting used to it. I assigned the FN button to cycle through EVF and the LCD. The Q2M has an AF-and-Release function that is game changer. I have it set up with bracketing.  So I use the LCD all the time for that. Easy to switch back to the EVF with the FN button. 

Edited by John Smith

You’re right. I am an idiot! I have the camera set to evf extended and the Fn button set to ISO. That way, a short press switches the rear screen on to let me choose the ISO but doesn’t actually operate as a viewfinder. As I’d never tried to use it that way I had erroneously thought it did. 

Even so, when the camera is set to evf extended and the Fn button set to evf extended, it feels like it’s two quick presses of the button to get from a viewfinder only to a rear screen only operation, and then two quick presses to revert to viewfinder only. Is that the same for you? Given my previous mistake I’m not sure I trust myself!

• Like 1

Sorry if I confused matters with my terminology. We agree though that it is two clicks to get from using the viewfinder to using Live View, and another two clicks to revert to viewfinder mode. 

Not quite what the OP was looking for, but the clicks can be done very quickly (under 1 sec?). The only issue is if you overshoot and end up needing multiple clicks to get you where you want to be. 

@veujin can you go to a dealer and test it out?

I set my Fn button to scroll through the EVF/LCD. Frankly I have no use for it. Ideally I would set it to focusing modes swapping between eye recognition, multi field etc but neither work at all so I leave it at field. No need to change metering mode. Don’t need the self timer. Iso is set on the top button. I don’t shoot video. My OCD is working overtime.  :) 

• Like 1