Three Eclectic Chicago Buildings

war

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the foreground is the London Guarantee Building, designed in the Beaux Arts style by Alfred Alschuler in 1923. While it stands on the site of Fort Dearborn, for me the historic value of this building is that it was the home of the London House Jazz Club on the ground floor from the 1950's through the 70's where I saw greats like Cannonball Adderley and Bill Evans and others. The landmark building has been sensitively restored and remodeled and is now a hotel.

The tall terra cotta clad Neo-Gothic tower was designed by Herbert Hugh Riddle as the Mather Tower, later named Lincoln Tower, in 1928. Built for the offices of the Mather Stock Car Company it was for a short time the tallest building in the city. The landmark building has been extensively restored and converted to mixed-use and houses a hotel on the lower rectangular portion now.

The Beaux Arts building to the right is the Jewelers Building, built in 1927 for an association of approximately seventy jewelry, diamond and watch companies. The landmark building was designed by Joachim Giaever and Frederick Dinkelberg, together with Thielbar and Fugard. Its base is limestone but the entire building above is clad in ornate tan terra cotta. When built it employed the first automated elevator parking system whereby over 600 automobiles could be parked on 22 of its floors. The unique system made it possible for the jewelers and their customers to conveniently park outside of their business premises thereby reducing security risks. The elevator system became obsolete with larger cars and was later eliminated. The fully restored building remains a commercial office building.

A

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hepcat said:

It is such a joy to see vertical verticals and horizontal horizontals.  Just a superb photograph.  Thanks for sharing it and the history!

Thank you. The 28mm Q2 works well out of camera to hold verticals if you can get back far enough. I dislike having to use PP to straighten buildings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stuny said:

Yes, very nice.  One of my former colleagues in our Chicago office used to take clients on his boat for an architecture tour.

Thank you. To come to Chicago and miss an architectural boat tour is like having a great dinner without wine.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Suuumm55 said:

again wonderful buildings that radiate so much charm.....

i also thank you for the historical architectural history

i particularly like the history of the jazz club

thank you wally :)

Thank you for your interest and comments.