Help identifying these cases, please!

M9reno

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Two identical brown leather cases, dimensions H73mm, L77mm, W49mm.

Many thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Interior:

Thanks, Luigi. I agree the resemblance is tempting, but the mystery cases are much larger than those for the meters.    See here, with the meter case on the right.

That's true... 73 x 77 mm is big... is the half circle that made me to think of meters (that maybe is just for extracting easily the device into...)  ... uhm... I haven't other ideas at the moment... and Leitz made so many devices, apart cameras,,,, what about some accessory for some surveying system...  🙄 ? Such a case makes to think of something to be carried around... used "in field"... not "in lab".... and neither "on stage" (so, not projectors or similar,,, but who knows... )

I wonder about their date... the Leitz with WETZLAR writing makes me to think of postwar years.... and anyway they look not so aged.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

10 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

That's true... 73 x 77 mm is big... is the half circle that made me to think of meters (that maybe is just for extracting easily the device into...)  ... uhm... I haven't other ideas at the moment... and Leitz made so many devices, apart cameras,,,, what about some accessory for some surveying system...  🙄 ? Such a case makes to think of something to be carried around... used "in field"... not "in lab".... and neither "on stage" (so, not projectors or similar,,, but who knows... )

I wonder about their date... the Leitz with WETZLAR writing makes me to think of postwar years.... and anyway they look not so aged.

Thank you again, Luigi. Yes, I agree this must be for use in the “field”.  There are strap slits on the back of each case (visible in the second picture above) that suggest use with a camera. The size suggests an R-series camera. The logo “Leitz Wetzlar” suggests the 70s.

My best guess at the moment is that this is case 14621 for lens hood 12508 or 12509. The catalogs of the time mention this case but unfortunately do not illustrate it. And Google is of no help here either.  Hoods 12508 and 12509 are for lenses taking Series VII filters, so I imagine would be roughly the right size for a case like this. They are “chunky” hoods, but I unfortunately don’t own either.  Perhaps someone here who does could check and provide the dimensions?

https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12508

https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12509

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have you tried any fliter cases in them? Just a thought but a case for several larger filter would fit into the R category and might have been produced. My E46 filter caeses are ~60mm square so something like E55 would have a larger case.

3 minutes ago, pgk said:

Have you tried any fliter cases in them? Just a thought but a case for several larger filter would fit into the R category and might have been produced. My E46 filter caeses are ~60mm square so something like E55 would have a larger case.

Thanks, Paul.  Yes, I have a vague memory of these entering my collection among a pile of filter cases bought in auction as a job lot, some of them Series VII.  Cases for Series VII do fit in these boxes, if I remember correctly.  What I am curious about is the original purpose of the cases (and their part number).  I think we're in the right ballpark with the hoods, so it would be nice to find out their measurements.

I have seen one of these cases in black on eBay recently (also unidentified), which I now can't trace, which also suggests use with late Leicaflex or R3 camera cases in brown or black, since those cases probably only held camera + lens, and a hood of that size would need a separate case "in the field", as Luigi says.

7 hours ago, M9reno said:

Thanks, Paul.  Yes, I have a vague memory of these entering my collection among a pile of filter cases bought in auction as a job lot, some of them Series VII.  Cases for Series VII do fit in these boxes, if I remember correctly.  What I am curious about is the original purpose of the cases (and their part number).  I think we're in the right ballpark with the hoods, so it would be nice to find out their measurements.

I agree : it's my culprit to haven't thought of hoods... 🤒... but I haven't any R gear,,, and as you say , given the dimensions, is to the R lenses that one can direct the search... 12508 looks wide and high,,, at it ought to be not so difficult to find its dimensions (and the "half circle" is at all natural to catch a hood); anyway, I have found a picture of Summilux 50 with 12508 mounted on... and looks that the external diameter of the hood is larger than the max diameter of the lens (68,5 mm, from specs) ... surely something more than 70mm... and the 14621 you have ponted to is declared to be made also for the 12509 which has a rectangular top shape, and this can explain the difference (73/77) mm of width/length of your cases,,,

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Thanks 1