OSAWA adapter for Leica R puzzle

dpitt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The picture below shows my OSAWA 650mm F8.5 mirror lens. I picked it up basically for free together with a Tamron 500 F8.0.
The Tamron has a Adaptall 2 - R adapter, so it works fine on my Leica R.

Now this OSAWA has been puzzling me for years now, because I do not recognize the adapter. It is not an adaptall 2 for sure but what is it? Any thoughts?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, dpitt said:

The problem is that this is a 'female' lens. Most bajonet lenses are 'male' if you know what I mean.

It's a Canon FD Mount, and as far as I know there aren't any adapters that will allow you to use it on the R system and achieve infinity focus due to the way the registry distances work.

2 hours ago, Bobitybob said:

It's a Canon FD Mount, and as far as I know there aren't any adapters that will allow you to use it on the R system and achieve infinity focus due to the way the registry distances work.

Thank you Bob for confirming. I do not have any other Canon FD lens or body, so it makes sense I could not identify it.

I do not mind much that is not going to work on Leica R. It was free anyway.
The only body I have now that could work would be the MFT Panasonic GX8 => would make an equivalent 1300mm F 8.5 on that!

In the near future I hope to add a full frame mirrorless body, and that would work too.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, dpitt said:

The only body I have now that could work would be the MFT Panasonic GX8 => would make an equivalent 1300mm F 8.5 on that!

It'll work on the GX8.  It will still be a 650mm f/8 lens with the optical qualities of a 650mm lens.  You'll merely be using a 4/3 sensor sized portion of the lens circle of coverage instead of the 36x24mm circle for which it was designed.  I don't know who came up with the idea that merely using a smaller portion of the circle of coverage is like having a lens twice as long.  It's a really misleading equivalency.  The apparent angle of coverage may in fact be narrower...  but the optical qualities of the lens don't change. 

5 hours ago, hepcat said:

It'll work on the GX8.  It will still be a 650mm f/8 lens with the optical qualities of a 650mm lens.  You'll merely be using a 4/3 sensor sized portion of the lens circle of coverage instead of the 36x24mm circle for which it was designed.  I don't know who came up with the idea that merely using a smaller portion of the circle of coverage is like having a lens twice as long.  It's a really misleading equivalency.  The apparent angle of coverage may in fact be narrower...  but the optical qualities of the lens don't change. 

Of course it stays the same lens. But in a way it 'improves' because you only use the best part in the center of the area covered by the lens. If you do not know the size of the sensor, this will feel like a 1300mm on the Gx8, just like my iPhone shows as if it has a 28mm or so with the 1x lens. Maybe calling it 1300mm is not completely correct, but unless you always mention the crop factor of your sensor relative to FF, I do not see a better way to describe the lens magnification when used on any camera.

One could also argue my Gx8 at 20MP acts now as a crop from a 80MP FF sensor. So if the quality of the sensor stays the same you do not see more detail when using the same lens on a FF. (just a wider area) This is exactly what happens with my M8 and M9, the former is a crop of the latter, so it does not matter which lens you put on them. The details in the center of the frame are exactly the same.

Anyway, once I will buy a FF mirrorless for using my R and some M lenses, the OSAWA can be used in full, just like it was intended.

• Like 1

Just for the record, what we see here is a Canon Breech-Lock mount (or adapter).

The "FD" mount (introduced about 1970) was just a subset of the BL mounts, along with the original "R" mount for the Canonflex lenses (1959), the FL mount, and the "new FD mount" that came in with the AE/AT/A-1 cameras c.1978.

The adapter in the image above lacks many features of the FD version (pins coding for lens max. aperture, stop-down lever, etc.) - which of course is fine in this case since a mirror lens is fixed-aperture anyway.

https://www.cameraquest.com/canonflx.htm

11 hours ago, adan said:

The adapter in the image above lacks many features of the FD version (pins coding for lens max. aperture, stop-down lever, etc.) - which of course is fine in this case since a mirror lens is fixed-aperture anyway.

Here a picture of a Canon FD 50mm F1.4 S.S.C.  This is a  FD lens with all the "coupling" stuff.  It can be used on a Leica M with a proper adapter. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Stef63