A second SL2 body?

Sohail

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the SL and SL2 and tend to use different lenses with each (mostly m), usually carrying a single body. The native colors out of the SL are still my favorites, and the bang-for-buck for used SLs is hard to ignore (especially when theft is a possibility on travel). I bought the SL2 for resolution, coming from GFX, but in reality, other features proved more useful, including highlight metering and IBIS. Have a used SL2-S coming Friday and will be testing that ISO limit. Will be hard to justify all three, so curious which will leave. 

• Like 2

I'm happy with 2 SL2 bodies - it let's me work with primes (though often when doing theatre / music, I find th 24-90 and 90-28 pair beautifully).  If i was starting again, I'd consider the SL2 + SL2s - but I'm ok with the low light performance on the SL2 and like having identical files to work with in post.

• Like 5

On 1/19/2023 at 2:01 PM, blessingx said:

I have the SL and SL2 and tend to use different lenses with each (mostly m), usually carrying a single body. The native colors out of the SL are still my favorites, and the bang-for-buck for used SLs is hard to ignore (especially when theft is a possibility on travel). I bought the SL2 for resolution, coming from GFX, but in reality, other features proved more useful, including highlight metering and IBIS. Have a used SL2-S coming Friday and will be testing that ISO limit. Will be hard to justify all three, so curious which will leave. 

Any first impressions?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2023 at 10:59 AM, Olaf_ZG said:

Any first impressions?

Sorry, hadn't been on the thread for a bit, but now that I've had the SL2-S for a month it's pretty much replaced my SL2 use. All this may or may not apply to others, but the fact of the matter is I tend to hit ISO limits more often than resolution limits. And we live in the world of Topaz Photo.ai/Gigapixel/DeNoise, DxO PureRAW/DeepPrime, and Adobe's Super Resolution, so when I do hit limits, I tend to more comfortably climb higher in the post AI resolution (~1.5-2x), than at time of capture expected AI (~ 1 stop). 

And somewhere in here, if you use M-glass in addition to L, that should probably be considered with any resolution climb. 

As for a personal preference in default colors under mixed lighting, I still prefer the SL, but the SL2-S falls between it and the SL2. I'm referring to raw defaults in C1 and DxO PL. Most are likely just correcting in post and it may not matter.

So my next choice... keep the SL as backup and sell the SL2? That's probably the most economically sound decision. Keep IBIS and UI consistancy and hold on to the SL2 and sell the SL? That seems to cover the most bases, but I still love that SL. Sell the SL2 and SL and get another SL2-S as primary and backup? More confusion, but first world problems. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’d keep the second body as an sl2 or buy a second sl2-s.

if you ever need multi shot at 190 mp then sl2 is your answer.  Otherwise sl2-s likely a great second body for you.  Ibis is worth the cost of these two cameras by itself.

I’d move on from the SL for second body continuity.  

Robb

On 1/17/2023 at 3:48 AM, Sohail said:

As a prime lens user and someone who works in often dusty situations, I'm thinking of getting a second SL2 body. Couple of things are inhibiting me. One is should I get an SL2-S and the other is should I wait for the SL3 to arrive. A third possibility is to get a Panasonic body. Anyone been there?

I hate to change lenses in the flied. Makes sense to use two cameras for two primes while dust is around. And three cameras for three primes. And so on.

Also, if you are dependent on use of these cameras it makes even more sense.

And with whole SL series been serviced only in Germany it makes sense to have two. If you have those money...

Panabody is called S5 MKII now. :) But if your primes are M it is still questionable.  And two things I'm not too keen about S5II is 3MP EVF and no top display. 

But personally, this is the only camera I could afford and have it serviced locally, if needed :) .

On 2/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, blessingx said:

Sorry, hadn't been on the thread for a bit, but now that I've had the SL2-S for a month it's pretty much replaced my SL2 use.

I had the same experience, but for different reasons.  The SL2 had great resolution and really shows off the M and SL lenses, but the dynamic range even at the lowest 2 ISO’s didn’t cut it for me.  The SL2-S has much better dynamic range for landscape work.  Unfortunately, because I use it at the coast, moving water does not lend itself to the multi-image hi-res option, but without movement that makes up some for the smaller files.

I call the SL system the universal backup camera because I can take it with an M system or an S system and cross use the lenses on the SL system.  It would be great to see a sensor similar to the M11 sensor on an SL2-S body.  Even more, as much as I love the OVF of the S system, some really want an EVF for a medium format. I guess it is possible to enlarge the SL body and put the S3 sensor in it.  It would require an adapter to use existing S lenses, but again, the SL seems universal with all the adapters!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 4:08 PM, Sohail said:

Thanks for these great responses. I'm tending towards another SL2 body. But it would be infuriating if they launched an SL3 the day after! 

As far as I'm informed the SL3 will come late 2024. And the SL3S probably 2025. 

15 hours ago, Larzac said:

As far as I'm informed the SL3 will come late 2024. And the SL3S probably 2025. 

I have not heard of any SL3S rumors, and I do not see a point of SL3S, especially if SL3 also  implements multi-resolutions. SL2S was necessary to offer an L body with much better low light performance. SL3 will hopefully use a sensor like in M11.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:33 AM, SrMi said:

I have not heard of any SL3S rumors, and I do not see a point of SL3S, especially if SL3 also  implements multi-resolutions. SL2S was necessary to offer an L body with much better low light performance. SL3 will hopefully use a sensor like in M11.

Instead of the s they could then release a SL3m 😎

On 3/9/2023 at 4:33 AM, SrMi said:

The SL2 has resolution but fairly low dynamic range.  The SL2-S has much better dynamic range and only 24mp.  If an SL3 had a sensor like the M11, it would be stellar for landscape work.

1 hour ago, davidmknoble said:

The SL2 has resolution but fairly low dynamic range.  The SL2-S has much better dynamic range and only 24mp.  If an SL3 had a sensor like the M11, it would be stellar for landscape work.

I would expect SL3 to have both great DR and resolution.

• Like 2