Ideas about non Leica primes for SL2?

ChuckNonverbal

53 minutes ago, ChuckNonverbal said:

I’m wondering if anyone could share their experience with any sharp, characterful non Leica prime lenses? I was considering the Sigma 40mm as one possibility. Thanks in advance, Chuck

Sigma 35 mm Dn Dg Art 1.2.  Bokeh. Sharp. Bulk

But why the preference for a native non-Leica lens over a adapted lens, if I may ask? 

• Thanks 1

True if you have more than one lens “to be adapted”.  

I have only one native non-Leica L lens (the sigma 1.2) and no native Leica L lens.  

I have however several adapters for Leica M, R, LTM, Minolta MD,  Canon EF and FD lenses.  

I now have 35 lenses in total.  Various brands and mounts that all work perfectly well on the SL platform. Of course most of the lenses are MF only (except for the Canon EF ones).

The Leica SL platform is rather unique in opening up all this.  Embrace it.  

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have both a Lumix S1 and S5.  I have two native Lumix S lenses that are superb; the 28-105 zoom and the 85mm f/1.8.   I like them both very much.

And then I have adapters for all of my Leica R lenses (eight or nine,) my Konica AR Hexanons (eight or nine), and my Sigma 20mm f/1.8 in Nikon Ais mount.  I also have an L39 adapter for my significant stable of early 1950s Canon LTM glass, an M42 adapter for my stable of Yashinon DX glass,  and I adapt my Pentacon Six glass to Nikon Ais, and then adapt that from Nikon Ais to L mount.   And I have a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 OS lens in Canon EF mount that I adapt with an MC21 that I'd never have bought, but it came with the S1 when I bought it used last year.  THAT is an amazing lens.

Each set of lenses render differently, and I like them all. 

Edited by hepcat
  • Thanks 1

I have a few SL lenses now : 35SL APO, Sigma Art 12-24, Sigma 45mm 2.8 and have quite few adapters for manual lenses ( Contax, Canon FD, etc ) 

First thing first : Leica SL is a trully spetacular platform for adapting manual lenses. embrace the thing, its a joy.

L mount lenses : either Sigma Art of Lumix PRO lenses are very good. Other lenses, depends. 

My take for example : the 45mm 2.8 , I dont like it. apart from being cheap as peanuts ( got mine second hand for 160 euros , new as they come ) , I dont see anything I like in the lens (  the weight ) .

Your millage may vary - and no, I'm not a Leica snob - while SL lens are superior , they cost a fortune and not everyone may have the funds for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, proenca said:

I have a few SL lenses now : 35SL APO, Sigma Art 12-24, Sigma 45mm 2.8 and have quite few adapters for manual lenses ( Contax, Canon FD, etc ) 

First thing first : Leica SL is a trully spetacular platform for adapting manual lenses. embrace the thing, its a joy.

L mount lenses : either Sigma Art of Lumix PRO lenses are very good. Other lenses, depends. 

My take for example : the 45mm 2.8 , I dont like it. apart from being cheap as peanuts ( got mine second hand for 160 euros , new as they come ) , I dont see anything I like in the lens (  the weight ) .

Your millage may vary - and no, I'm not a Leica snob - while SL lens are superior , they cost a fortune and not everyone may have the funds for it. 

Agree!

The Voigtlander lenses are really incredible bang for the buck.

I own the 50 1.0 VM 

I have shot with the apo 35 and apo 50 from Voigt.  Really top stuff.  

I've seen too many reports of sharp and nice lenses from their lineup.

The Zeiss ZM lenses also have some gems.

The Sigma art lenses especially the 28 1.4, 40 1.4 and 105 1.4 are all top notch and also have autofocus but were too heavy for me to want to carry regularly.  So I have primarily just focussed on the Leica SL app's for smaller size than the sigma's and better optics.  Just pricey.

If cost savings was the goal, I'd go straight to VM.

Robb

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, robb said:

The Voigtlander lenses are really incredible bang for the buck.

I own the 50 1.0 VM 

I have shot with the apo 35 and apo 50 from Voigt.  Really top stuff.  

(...)

If cost savings was the goal, I'd go straight to VM.

Robb

Agree ! 

APO's from Voigtlander are top top stuff as far M lenses go.

the 50APO Voigtlander is virtually 99.99% of the Leica 50APO that costs 8x much. Is really that good.

However, a question remains - if you own a M, a Voigtlander APO is a no nonsense buy : use it on the SL and on the M.

If you DONT have one, then what to do ? Usually SL lenses ( SL APO and Sigma Art L ) are much better performers in terms of sharpness , microcontrast, etc than everything in M "land" - at the cost of weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Genoweffa said:

Zeiss

Agreed. 

If you are prepared to do without AF the Contax lenses are a steal.

I have the 135mm Sonnar, the 100mm Sonnar Macro and the 35-70.  All stellar. The 135mm is usually available for 150€ or less. I have not used the wide angles but I am sure they are great too. 

You can read about them here:

https://www.reduser.net/forum/shooting-red/lens-tests/94346-contax-zeiss-survival-guide

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, proenca said:

And, yet, I very much like the Sigma 45mm f2.8. As Proenca suggests, people’s requirements, usage, likes and dislikes, vary. Some dismiss the 45 because it’s not fast and - focusing close-up at f2.8 - it is soft and ‘glows’. Others like and utilise the aberration (I note that the OP mentions character); I find that I’m in that camp. In fact, I like the Sigma i Contemporary range, generally. 

I once saw a post on Macfilos by the great Nick Ut in which he praised the Sigma 45 (and the 100-400, I think). 

The great thing about the SL platform is its versatility. We can have all these discussions about lens preferences; native, adapted, M, third party, or whatever, simply because an SL will take them all. Fantastic.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb Simone_DF:

Can you elaborate on the Lumix vs the Lux? 

Asking because I've been thinking of getting one of these, despite the size penalty.

The LUMIX lens is optimized for sharpness and is highly resistant to ghosting and flare, even when a bright light source is included within the frame. But it won’t give you the depth rendering that one can see in #12 and #18 with the Summilux-SL in the thread below. Also, in certain situations the LUMIX lens will produce outlined highlights in the bokeh. I wouldn’t call it nervous bokeh but it will bother those who are HSPs when it does appear. With the Summilux-SL, the area behind the focus point is smooth as silk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Lumix 50mm S Pro 1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1