Newly bought 35SL : I was not ready for this

proenca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, to join the conversation : this lens is razor sharp, albeit its just as sharp where and when it needs to be.

I had a few lens ( well hundreds, sush, dont tell the ladies ) , some of them unicorns ( Noctiluxes, all of them, pretty much every summilux, v4 bokeh, etc ) and some top notch from other brands ( Hasselblad 100, GFX 110, etc ).

But this lens, this is perfection. Its simply perfection.

It really does amaze me - this is a quick snap of my kids doing some coloring in the kitchen. Some bit of grain, sloppy b&w conversion and BANG. sharp and the bokeh fallout is gorgeous.

One of those rare times that I dropped god-knows-I-want-to-forget-€€€€€€€€-on-a-lens and I just say it : its was bloody worth it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

The 35mm SL will definitely be my next purchase, have the 85 sigma (latest) and after that I was lucky to buy the 75mmm SL and never used the Sigma again. The 50mm SL and 75mm SL are now in the bag and maybe the 90 will come too. I respect everybody's opinion but for my the Summicrons are special.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I don't think we are really in disagreement...at least not completely. I also don't think I said that all photos had to be sharp. I am totally fine with people using softer lenses. I use them myself. But if I want a sharp lens, I don't think they can be too sharp. I also think that if that is the aesthetic I am going for, I prefer the window, as it were, to be as clear as possible. I prefer to have the nuance in the composition and quality of the photo more than in the tool I make it with. That said, it also depends greatly on what you do. I do most of my portraiture with 4x5 and 8x10 film, and I primarily use the SL2 for general use, work and landscape work. I appreciate the lenses there. I also think the 50mm 1.4 Summilux SL is extraordinary. For me, however, it was just too big and heavy for the focal length. I do not particularly need 1.4, so I prefer the Summicron. The fact that it is also sharper and still has a pleasing character is a bonus for me.

Gotcha, makes sense.  And I agree the SL Summilux is absurdly large which is why I went with the M version that is downright tiny by comparison.  I still have the 35mm APO SL that I bought with my SL2S so I may give it another try so that I have at least one AF lens.  I'm definitely a 50mm guy and would have kept the 50mm APO SL but thought it was overkill to have two 50mm lenses, even if they have a very different character.  I just wish they would have made the 35mm smaller rather than using the same size body from the 35 all the way to the 90.     

2 hours ago, leicableguy said:

Gotcha, makes sense.  And I agree the SL Summilux is absurdly large which is why I went with the M version that is downright tiny by comparison.  I still have the 35mm APO SL that I bought with my SL2S so I may give it another try so that I have at least one AF lens.  I'm definitely a 50mm guy and would have kept the 50mm APO SL but thought it was overkill to have two 50mm lenses, even if they have a very different character.  I just wish they would have made the 35mm smaller rather than using the same size body from the 35 all the way to the 90.     

I happen to have four 50s at the moment: 50APOM, 50APOSL, 50LuxM, and 50LuxSL. I am keeping all but the 50APOM because the remaining three are so different from one another. I don't consider the 50APOSL and 50LuxM to be close to one another. I am keeping the 50LuxM only for those times where the aberrations at 1.4 will count for something. 

4 hours ago, John Smith said:

I happen to have four 50s at the moment: 50APOM, 50APOSL, 50LuxM, and 50LuxSL. I am keeping all but the 50APOM because the remaining three are so different from one another. I don't consider the 50APOSL and 50LuxM to be close to one another. I am keeping the 50LuxM only for those times where the aberrations at 1.4 will count for something. 

Curious how different the M Lux and the SL Lux are. I’ve been thinking of getting the SL Lux for ages as the M version is my all time favorite lens.

On 1/15/2023 at 4:47 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

IMHO there is no such thing as an insignificant loss in IQ…..

I have the older Sigma Art. The monster. I think it’s better than the new one. The 90 APO is better again.

I agree that the modern SIgma lenses are fantastic. But you can do that on any system. There is only one way to get the SLAPO’s. L mount. The problem is that you think you’ll get the SL35 and be done. Truth is that everyone who’s gone before you and purchased one is now working on a way to have *just one more*. I see a SL 90 APO in your future. :)

Start with one. Finish with many. This is the way….

Gordon 

Lol same here I have the sl 35&75 but now I also want the 35 apo m because life is too short 😂

• Like 1

Peter Karbe says the 35MM SL is his favorite. I have been thinking of making this my next addition, but wondering how much different it renders than the 24-90 at 35. The zoom gets great reviews on here and lovely shots have been posted. Of course it’s bigger, heavier and slower, but more versatile and I’m ok with most of those downsides since I love the 90-280 which I use frequently. But I don’t want to give up too much IQ. Anyone compared the 24-90 and 35SL at 35?

Appreciate the amazing content on here!

• Like 2

I think the 35 apo shows more contrast mainly and quicker focus fall off.  To me they have a look like 1.4 lenses.  24-90 is a little smoother overall in my opinion.  I'd prob pick the 24-90 for portraits.  The 35 apo for scenes.

The 24-90 is a great lens.  I would not plan on ever selling it.  Wouldn't sell the apo's either.  I think they are Dif tools so can coexist in your bag.

Robb

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, robb said:

I think the 35 apo shows more contrast mainly and quicker focus fall off.  To me they have a look like 1.4 lenses.  24-90 is a little smoother overall in my opinion.  I'd prob pick the 24-90 for portraits.  The 35 apo for scenes.

The 24-90 is a great lens.  I would not plan on ever selling it.  Wouldn't sell the apo's either.  I think they are Dif tools so can coexist in your bag.

Robb

Thanks Robb. That does make sense, and it looks like I may end up there 

13 hours ago, John Smith said:

Has anyone compared the 35SL to the 35APO-M? You see rave reviews of the 35SL, but I've run across a few reviews of the 35APO-M who said it lacked the magic of the 50APO-M. In other words, they said it was a boring lens. 

I have a pal that shoots both regularly and his only explanation was that the M35 is the most leica look of leica lenses on his m10r or sl2s.  this is in a restaurant / kitchen setting.  (his photo work is mind blowing by the way and his restaurant even better)

https://www.instagram.com/chefdouglaskim/

The 35sl is a money maker - I mean when it comes to menu work and paid prints for adding context.    

Edited by tangosix

Just to whet your appetite for the 90mm SL

Edited by Planetwide
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, John Smith said:

Has anyone compared the 35SL to the 35APO-M? You see rave reviews of the 35SL, but I've run across a few reviews of the 35APO-M who said it lacked the magic of the 50APO-M. In other words, they said it was a boring lens. 

the 35MAPO is the best M 35mm lens.

however, at same aperture ( Summicron vs Summicron, etc ) , M lenses ( even the APO ones ) cannot hold a candle to the SL APO's.

It is to be expected - the larger the glass, the easier is to make a perfect lens.

reason why, usually, medium format glass is superior to 35mm and APS-C glass and why 35mm glass usually is superior to APS-C only.

the tolerances become bigger, etc etc.

the APO-M line is just out of this world, performance vs the actual size of them - they are world class. And out of this planet class when you consider their size.

but the SL APO's are superior in every way - except size and weight.

that said, both have their place - if you have a M camera, you cannot really use a SL lens on it eheheh.. and if you have the M-APO's and want to save some SERIOUS weight, the SL becomes a superb travel camera.

so neither cannot substitute the other - the SL APO are better, but there is more than space for the two co-exist

Edited by proenca
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Planetwide said:

Just to whet your appetite for the 90mm SL

I hate you. I really do. :)

what a lovely picture and what a lens. damn. piggy bank for 90 is already under way....

• Like 1

Am 15.1.2023 um 12:15 schrieb proenca:

Next plan ? Saving some coins to get the 90SL. Or the Sigma 85 DC DN.

If you can afford it, get the SL :D

I made the switch from Sony to SL2s as well last year and first got the two lenses I enjoyed the most in the Sony system, even compared the G Masters: Sigma 35/1.2 and 85/1.4. Then the lovely guy at the Leica store offered to test the 90SL for a weekend. The 85 was my most used focal length, so I gave it a shot. The Sigma 85 DG DN is a wonderful lens, but the 90 APO beats it. It doesn't beat it by 4.000 bucks or whatever the difference is (new), but since you got the 35, it brings everything you love about the 35 to the table as well. If you use the 85/90 range a lot and find a good used deal, go for the SL. If not, the 85 might do just fine, as long as you don't compare them :D

Had a look at the Summicron 35 as well, but resisted. It is the superior lens, but the Sigma 1.2 has enough magic of it's own to not switch. 

Defiently one of those lens legends everyone should experience at least once or twice! 

I bought the Leica SL2 and took the time to learn how to apply DFD effectively JUST to gain access to the Leica SL 35/2 APO. Based upon what I see with the SL2 sensor, I can't wait to see what my 35, and 50, 90 SL APOs can do with a M11 like sensor hopefully coming in the SL3 🤩 

Edited by LBJ2

6 hours ago, proenca said:

the 35MAPO is the best M 35mm lens.

however, at same aperture ( Summicron vs Summicron, etc ) , M lenses ( even the APO ones ) cannot hold a candle to the SL APO's.

It is to be expected - the larger the glass, the easier is to make a perfect lens.

reason why, usually, medium format glass is superior to 35mm and APS-C glass and why 35mm glass usually is superior to APS-C only.

the tolerances become bigger, etc etc.

the APO-M line is just out of this world, performance vs the actual size of them - they are world class. And out of this planet class when you consider their size.

but the SL APO's are superior in every way - except size and weight.

that said, both have their place - if you have a M camera, you cannot really use a SL lens on it eheheh.. and if you have the M-APO's and want to save some SERIOUS weight, the SL becomes a superb travel camera.

so neither cannot substitute the other - the SL APO are better, but there is more than space for the two co-exist

I understand that. But I was asking for a real-life comparison between the two. 

On 1/16/2023 at 5:44 PM, John Smith said:

That's exactly what I did, and no regrets. I would always reach for the M 50 Lux before the M 50 APO. I keep the M 50 Lux for when I feel like shooting a small light M kit.

Edited by Planetwide

This has been posted before, but it shows the Bokeh of the SL 90mm 

• Like 5