Profoto Connect Pro and Leica SL2 - bug? or as designed?

mbmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I just got the new Profoto Connect Pro for Leica, and it's a lovely piece of industrial design, and is incredibly simple to use. There is one question I have though - when you switch the exposure preview from P-A-S to P-A-S-M nothing changes in the display. Is this expected behavior? As soon as you remove the remote it functions properly (shows the manual exposure preview) Since I shoot 100% on manual it would be great to be able to see the scene to know how much flash I'd like to add (when using manual flash also) 

Does anyone here know? 

On the SL2 bodies exposure preview is disabled when a flash is detected in the hot shoe. I suspect it is normal assuming the body recognizes the Profoto Connect as a flash.  In my small studio I do not want exposure preview active.  When my studio lights are the source of Illumination and exposure preview is active the viewfinder is so dark I can't see to compose or focus.

Edited by Luke_Miller

As Luke said that is what is to aspect.

there is a simple hack. simple scotch tape to cove the ports on the hotshoe will turn the trigger from TTL to simple one pin trigger.

Under this circumstances the camera fires the flash but does not have any other communication, and you can your preview back on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Luke_Miller said:

On the SL2 bodies exposure preview is disabled when a flash is detected in the hot shoe. I suspect it is normal assuming the body recognizes the Profoto Connect as a flash.  In my small studio I do not want exposure preview active.  When my studio lights are the source of Illumination and exposure preview is active the viewfinder is so dark I can't see to compose or focus.

I totally agree when I'm shooting strobe and want 100% of the scene lit by it - I always choose "P-A-S" to have a bright viewfinder - but what about when mixing strobe and ambient? It's helpful to know that the camera does that with any shoe-mounted flash (but not with "dumb" triggers like the original profoto ones)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 11:30 AM, mbmoore said:

I totally agree when I'm shooting strobe and want 100% of the scene lit by it - I always choose "P-A-S" to have a bright viewfinder - but what about when mixing strobe and ambient? It's helpful to know that the camera does that with any shoe-mounted flash (but not with "dumb" triggers like the original profoto ones)

It looks like if you turn X-Sync to On, you are able to use the remote while in PASM. It effectively cuts off communication with the camera body. I think you also lose the HSS feature though. Someone might be able to confirm.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, alexcaesar said:

It looks like if you turn X-Sync to On, you are able to use the remote while in PASM. It effectively cuts off communication with the camera body. I think you also lose the HSS feature though. Someone might be able to confirm.

Interesting - I hadn't thought of that. I'll check it out.

• 3 months later...
On 1/24/2023 at 9:03 AM, alexcaesar said:

Thanks for this tip! I hadn't thought of this either. I was taking the trigger off before, and this weekend I finally reached maximum annoyance with the exposure preview when the trigger is mounted.

It's faster than removing the trigger, but you lose TTL (Auto) mode when X-Sync is on. I do a lot of mixed-lighting shoots, usually at night or in dark locations, so I only need to disable exposure preview at the beginning of the shoot to get my ambient exposure settings dialed into the camera.

A quick test did confirm that HSS does not work with X-Sync turned on but that's not an issue for me with this particular use case.

• 2 weeks later...