Leica branded Panasonic lenses for M43

rtai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was looking for a small camera for walking around and settled on a used TL2 but then changed my mind due to various reasons. I have been immersed in the Leica M system for so long I no longer follow what else it out there and to my surprise there are quite a few Leica branded lenses for M43. From my research a Panasonic GX9 with a Leica 15mm f/1.7 is exactly what I needed. There are also others such as the 12/1.4 that’s equally enticing both reasonably priced. Any users here with experience in this system?

On my Gx8, I have an M-MFT adapter as well as a R-MFT adapter.
My CV Heliar 15mm (LTM) gives fine results and can also be used on the Barnack and M camera’s. It is manual focus but I do not care in this focal length for AF.
Makes a very small package too.

The Gx8 is often used for macro work, the area where the M9 is lacking.
The Macro Elmarit 1:2.8/60 R and Macro Elmar 100mm R as well as the Macro-Elmar 90 M can be recommended on the GX for macro.

My only native AF lens is the 45-175 Lumix zoom, which came with the body. It is good but not good enough for the R and M competition.

Macro Elmar 1:4.0/100mm R with Gx8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

Macro Elmar 1:4.0/100mm R with Gx8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own the TL2 and previously owned the GX9 (and still own a GM5).  The TL2 is smaller and lighter, although it becomes a little more awkward to carry if you opt for the external EVF, and the GX9 has IBIS, which can be quite nice.  Another factor of course is cost - secondhand L-mount lenses are really starting to come down in price, but the Panasonic Leica lenses are generally quite a bit cheaper, to say nothing of the myriad other lenses available in that mount.  Overall, it's a much, much more fleshed out system than Leica's APS-C series, and IMO gives up little in terms of IQ against larger format sensors.

Your "authorized dealer" is misinformed about Panasonic being out of M43 - in fact, they just recently announced a new lens for the system (Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-35 f/2.8) which hasn't even shipped yet.  True, it's basically an update of an existing lens, and who knows if they've got any M43 cameras in development or not.  A lot of people think the writing's on the wall, what with Panasonic pivoting hard to FF and Olympus being bought out, but it continues to be at least more viable than the TL/CL line.

I myself just picked up a couple of Olympus bodies and may be making the jump from Leica shortly, depending on how my next trip goes.  They managed to pack a lot of tech into a small package and the lens choices are vast.

Edited by MJB
  • Like 3

It really isn't helping Panasonic if the 'authorised' dealer is briefing against them. Many people misinterpreted Panasonic's statement back in 2022 that they were holding fire on new M43 releases for a while as they worked on other things. It's not like the range wasn't already full of great lenses and bodies, and the roadmap for any manufacturer is sure to slow down as the system becomes mature.

• Like 1

The magic one (with a very special name) is the portrait one, the Leica DG Nocticron (sic) 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH OIS.
Its focal length is a 85mm full frame equivalent and the DOF will be f/2.4 full frame equivalent (light transmission will still be f/1.2).
A stellar lens.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I think Leica should just make a version of the Panasonic G9ii, I would buy one.  I have a bunch of the Leica m43 lenses but would really like a Leica camera to put them on, that has the same operation as the SL cameras, DNG files etc etc.  Leica is supposed to be the camera company of the portable, easy to carry cameras.  Time to get back to their roots and make a really good M43 camera.  The end of the APS-C line means they have a gap in their product line up anyway.

• Like 1

If it could justify the higher price and not buying it just for the badge. I miss M43, I had a series of Panasonic and Olympus cameras and they all produced superb files and the lenses were knockout from both manufacturers, and of course Leica's versions.

• Like 2