M11, happy launch anniversary.

SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Happy Anniversary!

I'm a bit late to the party. I got my m11 just over a month ago.

I think it's brilliant. Brilliant enough that I almost resent gigs where I have to shoot my Nikon kit. So far the only problems I've had with it can be attributed to the loose nut behind the viewfinder.

It is almost configured to my shooting style, all I need to figure out is the way to set up the storage selection to the way I would like.

But that's what the forums are for

2 hours ago, lct said:

This is an M11 forum here. What would you say if i went on the M10 forum to explain how sluggish the camera can be in LV mode and how good it is to annoy M10 users? 

I would say that perhaps people could benefit from aspiring to not be so easily annoyed.  😊

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

I would say that perhaps people could benefit from endeavoring to not be so easily annoyed.  😊

Or perhaps people should not be easily annoyed if others are happy 😜 .

• Haha 1

@Herr Barnack Please perform your opera live with a worldwide zoom broadcast! 

The LV angle touches upon the key nerve, the crux of the matter -- the fear that the M becomes yet another mirrorless blob of electronics.  That feeling, reinforced by various alarming details, is what fuels the reluctance on the part of some of us to proceed to M11, IMHO.  The freezes are noncritical but unfortunate reminder that it all goes the way of electronics.  

The watershed will come into view with a fully electronic shutter and fake sounds of shots.  The two Ms before and after that that will probably remain forever turning point milestones.  Whether those will be M11 and M12, remains to be seen.  In that case, I'll hold on to the M10-R for the "pre".

• Thanks 1

How sensitive we all are. I do not intend to buy the m11. I just bought the m10m. Perfect b/w cam for me.

I do follow the m11 threads as I assume some of its new technology will be put in the SL3 (thinking of ability to choose MP or LE capabilities).

One thing I learned from the m11 is that I will not buy the SL3 at once. One might need to wait up to one year to get child diseases being solved.

Therefore, as a m10m user, I follow the m11 with great interest.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

..... . Ask any classic M shooter and they will say that is one of the things that attracts them most to the M in the fist place. That surreptitiousness of looking at the world in a slightly off kilter and non-perfect way. If they needed otherwise there was always slr's to turn to (and many carried both - I know I have). Now the M is becoming yet another do it all one stop piece of electronics in this age of wanting stuff to do it all for us without too much thinking......

You must have been devastated when Leica added a light meter to the M series!

I'm surprised you're not still using the M4 :)

2 hours ago, setuporg said:

[...] The LV angle touches upon the key nerve, the crux of the matter -- the fear that the M becomes yet another mirrorless blob of electronics.  That feeling, reinforced by various alarming details, is what fuels the reluctance on the part of some of us to proceed to M11, IMHO. [...]

Nobody has to buy the M11 if they don't like it. Leica still makes M10 and film cameras and will go on making them as long as there is enough demand for that. So what is your fear exactly? That the demand for RF cameras sans LV will shrink? Would do little sense since there is no offer for such cameras since the M9. Would you plea for a re-issue of the M9 or for an M10 sans LV then? Could be interesting but i'm not sure the M11 forum is the best place to discuss about that.

36 minutes ago, setuporg said:

A lot of discussion on the future of Leica is happening on the latest M forum.  BTW we could still have -D versions without live view.:)

A lot of discussions have been happening on the future of Leica for 100 years and yet here they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, setuporg said:

A lot of discussion on the future of Leica is happening on the latest M forum.  BTW we could still have -D versions without live view.:)

Sans Visoflex an M11-D would not sell and with Visoflex it would be another LV camera. Hard to go forward and backward at the same time... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lct said:

Leica still makes M10 and film cameras and will go on making them as long as there is enough demand for that. 

Not official, but retailers like B&H report that the M10-R and M10 Monochrom have been discontinued. Of course, even if true, many dealers will have stock for some period. 

Jeff

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, setuporg said:

@Herr Barnack Please perform your opera live with a worldwide zoom broadcast! 

The LV angle touches upon the key nerve, the crux of the matter -- the fear that the M becomes yet another mirrorless blob of electronics.  That feeling, reinforced by various alarming details, is what fuels the reluctance on the part of some of us to proceed to M11, IMHO.  The freezes are noncritical but unfortunate reminder that it all goes the way of electronics.  

The watershed will come into view with a fully electronic shutter and fake sounds of shots.  The two Ms before and after that that will probably remain forever turning point milestones.  Whether those will be M11 and M12, remains to be seen.  In that case, I'll hold on to the M10-R for the "pre".

After much reflection , I think I will offer access to my M10Monochrom opera on a pay per view basis.  The proceeds will be gifted to Leica to fund ongoing research to find a cure for the M11's dysfunctions.

Think of it as the Leica version of the annual Jerry Lewis MDA Labor Day Telethon.  With the assistance and generosity of Leica connoisseurs and connoisseuses around the globe,  we will find a cure for the M11's multitude of dysfunctions, regardless of how many decades of annual Leica annual telethons are required!   😊

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Corius said:

You must have been devastated when Leica added a light meter to the M series!

I'm surprised you're not still using the M4 :)

I was twenty two when that happened, shooting with a Nikon FE2 at that point. Couldn't afford a used M6 and lens until ten years later. As it is, haven't shot a roll of film since before the M8 came out, though I did buy an M3 on a whim last year. Still haven't shot any film, lol! But it's a damn nice looking camera! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlesphoto99 said:

I was twenty two when that happened, shooting with a Nikon FE2 at that point. Couldn't afford a used M6 and lens until ten years later. As it is, haven't shot a roll of film since before the M8 came out, though I did buy an M3 on a whim last year. Still haven't shot any film, lol! But it's a damn nice looking camera! 

The meter was added to the M long before that. The meter was added in 1971 with the M5.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:25 AM, Herr Barnack said:

We who do not own an M11 have great joy brought to our lives by annoying those who do have an M11, that's all.  Please do not take it personally, we just enjoy being annoying.

By the way...  Have I ever told you how wonderful my M10 Monochrome is?  Or how it never freezes?  Or how the shutter is lightning fast with a velvety, beautiful sound?  Or how deliriously happy my M10M makes me?  I'm just getting warmed up - let's meet at a bistro for coffee and croissants and I'll give you the deluxe three hour long opera version.  😁

Oooh, have I told you about how much I don't miss the M10M's classic metering fuckery that kept me bouncing back and forth between the rangefinder and the LCD? Oh, yeah. I miss that so much 😂 😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Oooh, have I told you about how much I don't miss the M10M's classic metering fuckery that kept me bouncing back and forth between the rangefinder and the LCD? Oh, yeah. I miss that so much 😂 😉

have a told you how much I don't miss using noctilus or summilux on M10M on a sunny day next to the M11, ND filter on and off and still not enough . What it does not go to a 100 ISO? maybe 64? 😂

• Haha 2